5,598,938 Members 30,908 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Anybody overclock or underclock CPU?

Tip us?

McFresh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Anybody overclock or underclock CPU?

So i have a rooted my lg g pad and was thinking about using an app such as tegrak overclock to change the cpu frequency. I would like to know if somebody that has tested this can confirm it is safe and state the minimum and maximum safe frequenies. If you would like to know my motives, i would like my tablet to lag a little less in the higher of bloons tower defense 5 and some other games. I would also like to be able to underclock to improve battery life.

LeighR
Old
Thanks Meter 78
I don't have a G Pad yet but you'll want a custom kernel with modified frequency and voltage table before you overclock, otherwise your device will freeze.

If you want better performance, your RAM is more important. Use titanium back up to remove any bloatware or go with CM11.

I keep my device underclocked by 50% to prolong battery and get no problems with games.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

hasona
Old
(Last edited by hasona; 28th December 2013 at 10:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFresh View Post
So i have a rooted my lg g pad and was thinking about using an app such as tegrak overclock to change the cpu frequency. I would like to know if somebody that has tested this can confirm it is safe and state the minimum and maximum safe frequenies. If you would like to know my motives, i would like my tablet to lag a little less in the higher of bloons tower defense 5 and some other games. I would also like to be able to underclock to improve battery life.
I just bought my G Pad yesterday and the first thing I did was root it and then install Titanium backup and Greenify, those two apps do wonders to battery life and lag. As for overclock it is as you say we would have to wait for some custom kernel that allows it but from my understanding it is the Gpu and not the Cpu which is the bottleneck.
So yeah for underclocking and to fix some lag you should install Titanium backup and Greenify but be careful on what you uninstall in TB because you don't want to remove some things like for me the Knock-on feature is probably the best thing ever :P

For refernece, I have my Z1 clocked at 0.2Ghz to 1.2Ghz(from 2.2Ghz) all the time unless I am playing a game where I have different "setCpu profiles" for different games, setting the governor as "interactive" or "ondemand" usually makes my Z1 sit at 0.2Ghz when it is in idle-mode.

woody1
Old
Thanks Meter 60
A couple of people have mentioned Greenify. I'm using Battery Doctor on my phone and it seems to do a good job. Is there any reason to choose Greenify over Battery Doctor?

hasona
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
A couple of people have mentioned Greenify. I'm using Battery Doctor on my phone and it seems to do a good job. Is there any reason to choose Greenify over Battery Doctor?
It does what I want and seeing as both my Z1 and my G Pad have some good battery saving eatures I don't see the point in using extensive apps. Usually I just want one app which does what I want and Greenify does that in a perfect way.

Haven't used battery doctor myself but my guess would be that it is equally as good as Greenify

Lucien2
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I've checked mine and it seems fine. Android is set as last resort.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucien2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alexvv
Old
Thanks Meter 1
it lags? mine is superfast and it's not without 2-3 dozens of apps. i've even underclocked the cpu to run at 1.5ghz, it's very fast anyway. and using its default energy saving + greenify + underclocked cpu i have a better battery too.

LeighR
Old
Thanks Meter 78
I've had my G Pad for a month now and no problems running at 1.1GHz. Great battery life, too

Sent from my LG-V500 using xda app-developers app

parsifal968
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighR View Post
I've had my G Pad for a month now and no problems running at 1.1GHz. Great battery life, too

Only rooted or on custom kernel?
I want also run setcpu for underclocking and i ask before rooting.
i only rooting my gpad for setcpu underclock but don't want custom kernels.

parsifal968
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighR View Post

you are on stock rooted? what apps do you use for underclock?

i'm on stock rooted and tryed various apps but underclock don't work... only cpu0 seems to underclock and for a small amount of time.
i use PERFMON
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1933284
to check the cores speed.