Unable to charge!

8th January 2014, 12:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20

216 posts
I just starting having this issue last night...out of nowhere while the phone was plugged in, it said "Unable to charge. Use the original charger."

The odd thing is it actually charges a little in between the messages popping up, so it makes no sense...it's an obvious contradiction. lol I did a reboot but that didn't fix it. I'm using the oem charger.

This morning it happened a few more times but after unplugging and plugging back in quite a few times, it seems to have stopped - it appears to be charging normally (for now), but I'm still concerned!

Any suggestions/ideas?
8th January 2014, 12:37 PM   |  #2  
Lancaster, PA
Thanks Meter: 25

193 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliano777

I just starting having this issue last night...out of nowhere while the phone was plugged in, it said "Unable to charge. Use the original charger."

The odd thing is it actually charges a little in between the messages popping up, so it makes no sense...it's an obvious contradiction. lol I did a reboot but that didn't fix it. I'm using the oem charger.

This morning it happened a few more times but after unplugging and plugging back in quite a few times, it seems to have stopped - it appears to be charging normally (for now), but I'm still concerned!

Any suggestions/ideas?

I've seen it happen now and then on my phone. Usually it just means the charger isn't very well suited. This happened when I was using the charger for an MSI Tablet that my wife uses and keeps plugged in in the living room. It does charge very very slowly.

On another note, I actually had the phone tell me last night while I was outside that the battery was too cold and that it couldn't charge while hooked up to my external battery pack.....now THAT was funny.
8th January 2014, 02:11 PM   |  #3  
Flag West Fargo
Thanks Meter: 127

597 posts
More
Were you using the original charger the whole time? If so your USB port might be going bad?? I had to replace mine on my Galaxy Nexus which was a Samsung.
8th January 2014, 03:06 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

216 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cam

Were you using the original charger the whole time? If so your USB port might be going bad?? I had to replace mine on my Galaxy Nexus which was a Samsung.

Hey, yeah the same charger the whole time. This is very odd because now it's not doing it anymore. I just got the phone a few months ago so I can't imagine it's the USB port...that would be ridiculous!
8th January 2014, 03:24 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 15

148 posts
Quote:

Hey, yeah the same charger the whole time. This is very odd because now it's not doing it anymore. I just got the phone a few months ago so I can't imagine it's the USB port...that would be ridiculous!

Hey buddy I have the same issue. I am not sure if it is the USB 3.0 High Speed port. But what I did was use a stand micro USB cable with the original charger and it works. I am going to ask for a warranty exchange here shortly. But I suggest you try that.
8th January 2014, 03:43 PM   |  #6  
Flag West Fargo
Thanks Meter: 127

597 posts
More
Quote:

True, that would be odd. I got mine just a week or so ago and it charges fine with the original 3.0 charger and my old 2.0 ones from my galaxy nexus. I'd just keep an eye on it and if it keeps happening, it may be worth getting a warranty replacement.
8th January 2014, 03:51 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

216 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by drozek

Hey buddy I have the same issue. I am not sure if it is the USB 3.0 High Speed port. But what I did was use a stand micro USB cable with the original charger and it works. I am going to ask for a warranty exchange here shortly. But I suggest you try that.

Hey man, it's funny that you say that because if it continued to not work that was the next thing I was gonna try (standard usb cable) thanks for letting me know I'm not alone here! It's kind of ridiculous that a two month old phone would have these sort of issues, especially at this price range...it's pretty much inexcusable.

If it continues to happen I'll be trying for the warranty exchange as well!

Thanks!
9th February 2014, 05:09 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
Quote:

out of nowhere while the phone was plugged in, it said "Unable to charge. Use the original charger."
I did a reboot but that didn't fix it. I'm using the oem charger.

Any suggestions/ideas?

I'm having a severe case of this issue on my Note3.
No matter what charger cable I use (including 3.0 OEM), w an OEM base or not, no cable will charge and always gives me the "Use original charger" statement. The only way to currentlly power my device is via Qi Wireless or swap batteries.

I'm not sure what may have caused this.
The only big difference with my usage is I recently bought Anker batteries for swapping the OEM battery. But I've put my OEM back in and Im still getting this issue.

Dont kno if there's any relation but LG Qi Pad use to charge through the Seidio Dilex just fine, but now I have to take the case off. Qi Wireless charging still works fine on my Lugulake with the Dilex on though. Difference between then and now is I added a Skinomi on my back cover (excessive, i kno, for those occasional days when I want to go bare).

EDIT
my PC doesnt seem to detect my NOTE3 as a storage drive either when plugged in. Ugh, i may have a busted port. I wonder if I may have damaged it when installing my Skinomi. The adhesive requires heat to activate so I had plastic wrapped my phone and wrapped a hot towel around it to help thhe curves stick down (no it wasnt plugged in at the time)

other details, likely irrelevant, is I recently added a 64GB SDXC the device that previously didnt have external Storage.
Last edited by punee; 9th February 2014 at 05:18 PM.
1st March 2014, 09:32 PM   |  #9  
Flag Grand Rapids
Thanks Meter: 8

69 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by punee

I'm having a severe case of this issue on my Note3.
No matter what charger cable I use (including 3.0 OEM), w an OEM base or not, no cable will charge and always gives me the "Use original charger" statement. The only way to currentlly power my device is via Qi Wireless or swap batteries.

I'm not sure what may have caused this.
The only big difference with my usage is I recently bought Anker batteries for swapping the OEM battery. But I've put my OEM back in and Im still getting this issue.

Dont kno if there's any relation but LG Qi Pad use to charge through the Seidio Dilex just fine, but now I have to take the case off. Qi Wireless charging still works fine on my Lugulake with the Dilex on though. Difference between then and now is I added a Skinomi on my back cover (excessive, i kno, for those occasional days when I want to go bare).

EDIT
my PC doesnt seem to detect my NOTE3 as a storage drive either when plugged in. Ugh, i may have a busted port. I wonder if I may have damaged it when installing my Skinomi. The adhesive requires heat to activate so I had plastic wrapped my phone and wrapped a hot towel around it to help thhe curves stick down (no it wasnt plugged in at the time)

other details, likely irrelevant, is I recently added a 64GB SDXC the device that previously didnt have external Storage.

I have this issue with my Note 3 as well it will charge with 2.0 but I get error message with 3.0 I called verizon first time after saying they would replace it they sent a 12" usb 2.0 cable which they charged $20 for I called back second rep stated she knew what i meant and she would sent the correct one out right away and of course remove the charge The sent a 3' usb cable with a led on it so i call back a third time and was advised they do not have usb 3.0 in stock and internal documents instruct them to transfer to Samgsung I call samsung and they rep tells me nope we don't have usb 3.0 either and that their documentation advises that they ship usb 2.0 I know this may seem petty but I paid $600 for this phone and I want to use usb 3.0 and it should be functioning oh yeah charging phone with cable with usb 2.0 that i had from my note 2 and now I see never carrier or manufacturer really care since they have my money and 2yr commitment

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank