Ask a question

No registration required

Note 2014 vs Dell V11 5130 vs iPad Air

OP rushless

27th February 2014, 03:46 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 326

3,290 posts
Right up front, these three device IMO are to date, the best devices graced upon consumers. All three have a lot of pros and not many cons. My vice is gadgets and currently own the a Note 2014 32GB, Dell V11 5130 64GB and iPad Air 128GB.

Note 2014:

Pros: Fast, great display, good sound, good wifi, pen function, build. IMO, best Android tablet to date.
Cons: Display is a power sucker more than the other devices- shortest battery life of the three devices for similar use, USB location (Why?)

iPad Air:

Pros: Fast, great display, good sound, very good wifi, build, battery life.
Cons: iTunes, restricted file design for users. The one good thing about iTunes is it took less than three hours to upgrade from my iPad 4 128GB back up. Android would have took longer, but prefer Android, none the less.

Dell V11 5130

Pros: Fast, great display, good sound, amazing wifi, build, battery life, runs all my favorite x86 apps smooth (Halo, Unreal 2004, Burnout Racing, etc). Office also is smooth and comes free with the 5130. The keyboard also has a battery, so up to 15 hours with similar use.
Cons: Only 38GB free for internal storage, but micro sd can be used for Steam games, Windows is not "exactly" tablet friendly yet, but getting closer. Added: Pen function is weak.

General points:

1. All three devices drain a lot quicker with 3D games, but the iPad air lasts two hours longer (at least).
2. The V11 has the best wifi range and stability of any device I have tested.
3. MAME is a CPU hungry app and plays smoother on the iPad Air. If folks understand how MAME is compiled, it is similar on all three devices, but should be smoother on the V11 with x86. The iPad Air is the first device of this size to ever play CPU hungry games like Dead or Alive Plus, Street Fighters EX2 and Soul Calibur smooth. The iPad 4 was about 15% slower than the Note 2014, but the iPad air is 30% faster than then Note 2014. Amazing margin swing from the iPad 4 to the iPad Air. The V11 is faster than the Note 2014, but not as fast as the iPad Air for MAME .139. Did not expect this at all.

Summary:

All three are amazing devices and have strengths. Must admit I wish the iPad Air was an Android device and had a micro sd slot and micro USB. THAT would be the greatest device, IMO ever. If I could only choose one device as a tablet only, the Note 2014 would be my choice. Reasons being I prefer the drag and drop of Android, no iTunes and the Note 2014 is a more versatile device overall. The V11 is GREAT with the keyboard, but lacking as far as being a tablet only.
Last edited by rushless; 27th February 2014 at 04:13 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rushless For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st March 2014, 04:52 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushless

Right up front, these three device IMO are to date, the best devices graced upon consumers. All three have a lot of pros and not many cons. My vice is gadgets and currently own the a Note 2014 32GB, Dell V11 5130 64GB and iPad Air 128GB.

Note 2014:

Pros: Fast, great display, good sound, good wifi, pen function, build. IMO, best Android tablet to date.
Cons: Display is a power sucker more than the other devices- shortest battery life of the three devices for similar use, USB location (Why?)

iPad Air:

Pros: Fast, great display, good sound, very good wifi, build, battery life.
Cons: iTunes, restricted file design for users. The one good thing about iTunes is it took less than three hours to upgrade from my iPad 4 128GB back up. Android would have took longer, but prefer Android, none the less.

Dell V11 5130

Pros: Fast, great display, good sound, amazing wifi, build, battery life, runs all my favorite x86 apps smooth (Halo, Unreal 2004, Burnout Racing, etc). Office also is smooth and comes free with the 5130. The keyboard also has a battery, so up to 15 hours with similar use.
Cons: Only 38GB free for internal storage, but micro sd can be used for Steam games, Windows is not "exactly" tablet friendly yet, but getting closer. Added: Pen function is weak.

General points:

1. All three devices drain a lot quicker with 3D games, but the iPad air lasts two hours longer (at least).
2. The V11 has the best wifi range and stability of any device I have tested.
3. MAME is a CPU hungry app and plays smoother on the iPad Air. If folks understand how MAME is compiled, it is similar on all three devices, but should be smoother on the V11 with x86. The iPad Air is the first device of this size to ever play CPU hungry games like Dead or Alive Plus, Street Fighters EX2 and Soul Calibur smooth. The iPad 4 was about 15% slower than the Note 2014, but the iPad air is 30% faster than then Note 2014. Amazing margin swing from the iPad 4 to the iPad Air. The V11 is faster than the Note 2014, but not as fast as the iPad Air for MAME .139. Did not expect this at all.

Summary:

All three are amazing devices and have strengths. Must admit I wish the iPad Air was an Android device and had a micro sd slot and micro USB. THAT would be the greatest device, IMO ever. If I could only choose one device as a tablet only, the Note 2014 would be my choice. Reasons being I prefer the drag and drop of Android, no iTunes and the Note 2014 is a more versatile device overall. The V11 is GREAT with the keyboard, but lacking as far as being a tablet only.

Thanks for your review like to see different devices use by the same user. It give a more open perspective.
1st March 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 117

790 posts
May I add that iPad is faster in dual-single core and/or gpu intensive tasks, but it's quiter slower in multi threaded apps or in an environment with multiple processes due to its low ram/core count. Try to open many tabs and or do rapid switches between apps, our note wins every time. That was mostly the deciding factor for me, since I don't game much. 3gb ram is a must for tablets...
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevethegreat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st March 2014, 11:08 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 326

3,290 posts
For MAME though it screams iCade and Air is current ruler for portable arcades.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread