XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Question about NFC phone to PC

Tip us?

rans0m00
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Default [Q] Question about NFC phone to PC

So have a tmo note 3 and a dell xps 12. Both have nfc and can detect when they get close to each other.... this is where my knowledge ends. I have googled with no luck so would appreciate more than "just search". Giving me keywords to search for is a good option too.

So what I want to happen is phone and pc unlocks when I bring them together. And possibly connect airdroid or something similar between them so I can use my phones features on my pc without plugging in anything. If anyone wants to just point me in the direction of some cool programs that use nfc for windows that would be great also.

apraetor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rans0m00 View Post
So have a tmo note 3 and a dell xps 12. Both have nfc and can detect when they get close to each other.... this is where my knowledge ends. I have googled with no luck so would appreciate more than "just search". Giving me keywords to search for is a good option too.

So what I want to happen is phone and pc unlocks when I bring them together. And possibly connect airdroid or something similar between them so I can use my phones features on my pc without plugging in anything. If anyone wants to just point me in the direction of some cool programs that use nfc for windows that would be great also.
The NFC available bandwidth is pretty limited I believe. The features that let you direct-transfer files between Android devices by touching them uses NFC to set up Wifi Direct connections, so all the *cool* apps like Airdroid just use wifi.

rans0m00
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by apraetor View Post
The NFC available bandwidth is pretty limited I believe. The features that let you direct-transfer files between Android devices by touching them uses NFC to set up Wifi Direct connections, so all the *cool* apps like Airdroid just use wifi.
Yep yep I meant more like them telling each other "Hey! He is using both of us... thats silly.... why don't I load up airdroid so he can quit wasting battery life on both of us?" Without me having to do anything except initially set them up to do that.... just cant figure out anything when it comes to the nfc between the two.

apraetor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rans0m00 View Post
Yep yep I meant more like them telling each other "Hey! He is using both of us... thats silly.... why don't I load up airdroid so he can quit wasting battery life on both of us?" Without me having to do anything except initially set them up to do that.... just cant figure out anything when it comes to the nfc between the two.
Well Airdroid itself can be configured to start automatically when a specified wifi SSID is present.

If you really want to use NFC for unlocking, then you need to read these instructions.
Tags
dell xps 12, nfc, note 3, touchwiz, windows 8.1