Rant about Android poor handling of patchy network signal

Search This thread

lightstream

Dec 21, 2010
Please excuse the rant but what is Google's excuse for its poor handling of unreliable network signal throughout Android??

I've just had to edit & resend a text message 13 times to get it to resend. My symbian from 10 years ago would take care of this automatically, alerting me when a text failed to send and retrying without my intervention until it succeeded. Even the old brick phones from the 90s would auto resend texts.

I find it embarrassing that android is still such a failure at dealing with patchy network reception.

It's not just texts, it's data too. The number of times I'm trying to access a web page and it will 'time out' because the data signal drops halfway through pageload and it will display a stupid message such as 'Google.com could not be reached. did you type the address incorrectly?'

No I didn't mistype the address google you moron. The phone knows when the data signal drops, so it should handle this situation much more intelligently, instead of requiring the user to manually reload the page.

if you're not in a reliable signal area Android is an embarrassingly unusable POS. This behaviour has been in all Android versions and all Android phones since the very beginning. What on earth is Google playing at? Are their devs just so used to high quality data & cell reception that they never think about this problem, or do they never use their own phones in real world situations or are they just complete morons?

</rant>