Default [Q] Need some debugging aid

So I have been running a discontinued experimental TouchWiz rom on my Samsung Galaxy GT-I9505 which I've been patching up for personal use. I have gotten most of the bugs figured out but one still remains where if you leave the "motion" feature on in the system settings it causes Gmail to force close whenever you get a notification for new mail.

Here's the logcat entry for the suspected culprit:

Code:
FATAL EXCEPTION: IntentService[GmailIntentService]

java.lang.NullPointerException

at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1437)

at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:1385)

at android.app.INotificationManager$Stub$Proxy.enqueueNotificationWithTag(INotificationManager.java:338)

at android.app.NotificationManager.notify(NotificationManager.java:139)

at android.app.NotificationManager.notify(NotificationManager.java:112)

at com.android.mail.utils.NotificationUtils.a(SourceFile:669)

at com.android.mail.utils.NotificationUtils.a(SourceFile:442)

at com.google.android.gm.GmailIntentService.onHandleIntent(SourceFile:95)

at android.app.IntentService$ServiceHandler.handleMessage(IntentService.java:65)

at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)

at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)

at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:61)
I've tried decompiling Gmail.apk and scrambling with the code but since my actual understanding of java and smali code is minimal at best I haven't had much luck at all. Also it's probably not really the app itself that's buggy but rather the experimental features of the rom that's causing this.

I should also note that in reality Gmail functions just fine. The notification itself shows in the notification bar and if you click on it the app opens normally. It's just that before you can do that you have to close a popup saying that Gmail has stopped. If this fc popup could simply be disabled then it would pretty much solve this annoyance. It would probably be better though if this bug could be properly fixed.

Either way, if there's someone knowledgeable here who could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.