Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,130 Members 53,557 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

OTA Update on 4.3 Rooted Stock Fails

Tip us?

kendoori
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default OTA Update on 4.3 Rooted Stock Fails

I have received the OTA update for my stock rooted 4.3 device. When I tell the system to update, it reboots into recovery, which for me is TWRP. If I go to "install" it defaults to the sdcard/downloads folder and there is a file there called: ota_M7_UL_SENSE55-MR_TMOUS_4.19.531.10-3.24.531.3_release_351678 If I choose to "install" this, there's a bunch of error messages, first with "unable to locate zip" (references a specific file), followed by an "assert failed" and the "error executing update binary..."

I will assume that this is because of the fact that I'm rooted and have TWRP.

It's important for me to be stock (I need the TM WiFi calling) and I want to retain root. Given that, how can I update to Kit Kat?

knytphal
Old
Thanks Meter 16
You'll have to flash back to stock recovery and redo the OTA (or, if you know where the OTA file is on your device, boot into stock recovery and select that file for the update).

You will most likely loose root, but it's easy enough to reflash TWRP and superuser to get root back, I would imagine.
Kaiser/ATT Tilt
T-Mobile US
Radio: 1.71.09.01
NBH: DZO 480 Panel 2 Tilt (3/18)
Android Build: Myn Warm Donut RLS4

MyTouch 3G 1.2
Rooted / 1.33.0013 / 32A Spawn from hell
Running With Ponies

Nexus S
No longer the daily driver, but not retired either

Samsung Galaxy S2 T989
AOKP FTW!

kendoori
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knytphal View Post
You'll have to flash back to stock recovery and redo the OTA (or, if you know where the OTA file is on your device, boot into stock recovery and select that file for the update).

You will most likely loose root, but it's easy enough to reflash TWRP and superuser to get root back, I would imagine.
I found and flashed a stock recovery and then reran the OTA update. It appeared to have gone all the way through the process. When I reboot the device I get a pink screen that blinks with white dashes, and it does get to an HTC One splash screen with a blue beats audio icon (different than in 4.3). It never gets passed there.

I am able to adb and fastboot at that screen, so I was able to reflash TWRP, and tried rebooting, but get stuck at the same spot. I had done a TWRP backup a couple weeks ago, so I restored that so that at least I'm functional again.

Any advice on how to get 4.4 on this device?

Morencyam
Old
Thanks Meter 0
When I was unlocked and rooted on 4.3 I relocked the bootloader, ran the 4.3 RUU and was able to get the OTA update then re-unlock and re-root

Basically, I did the same thing gwingzero said he did in this post
Tags
kitkat 4.4.2, ota, t-mobile