5,593,293 Members 33,110 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Install over stock ROM? (Or delete it?)

Tip us?

SimpTheChimp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Install over stock ROM? (Or delete it?)

I'm using SS 3.65 on my Droid Razr (XT912). I'm currently running SlimKat and, as backup, CM 10.1 on my two 'extra' slots.

I NEVER use the stock ROM anymore - I think in the last six months I've rebooting into it just one time. So I am wondering:
  • Can I just delete the stock ROM 'slot'? (and in doing so free up that memory for other use)
  • Or can I erase and put another ROM in that slot?
  • Finally, if I EVER needed stock again, is there a 'stock' ROM out there that I could flash back into that 'slot'?

I'd like to be able to use that memory space that the useless stock ROM takes up. Just don't know if this is safe to do... Or how to do it exactly.

Thanks.

-Tom
Chimp (Tom)
Verizon Droid RAZR
ROM:CM 11 Android: 4.4.2 (KK)

soundgirl101
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Runnin' SS 3.65, CM11 12/18, JBX 12/09, WIFIAP.zip, on "stock" slot. Stock slot is required and considered "non-recoverable" boot partition. Slots created by custom recoveries are "virtual", using system storage space to create and reduce internal storage space. There are various "stock" and "modded" stock roms available, as well as, utilities to root, reroot, and flash "stock" rom. You may flash on "stock", you can not delete or recover space, be sure "rom-of-choice" is working smooth, make back-ups, (i.e. nandroid/TB), flash to stock!! If "rom-of-choice" is working smooth on "stock" slot, you may "delete" virtual slots to "recover" internal storage space!!

control187
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgirl101 View Post
Runnin' SS 3.65, CM11 12/18, JBX 12/09, WIFIAP.zip, on "stock" slot. Stock slot is required and considered "non-recoverable" boot partition. Slots created by custom recoveries are "virtual", using system storage space to create and reduce internal storage space. There are various "stock" and "modded" stock roms available, as well as, utilities to root, reroot, and flash "stock" rom. You may flash on "stock", you can not delete or recover space, be sure "rom-of-choice" is working smooth, make back-ups, (i.e. nandroid/TB), flash to stock!! If "rom-of-choice" is working smooth on "stock" slot, you may "delete" virtual slots to "recover" internal storage space!!
Sorry to knock the dust off an old post, but for the SS flash on the stock slot, did you just wipe cache, data, and android secure before you flashed? Or did you do something more extensive? Thanks.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk