Best messenger with secret/privacy features

Search This thread

powersimon

Oct 28, 2012
Hi guys,
I'm searching for some messenger with strong privacy and "secret" features. Better explained, I've found Telegram as a good alternative to Whatsapp with its encryption features, but it lacks one thing that I really need: I'd like to keep some chat very private: it will be very useful if the conversation had some kind of PIN-password-pattern unlocking features.

This is possible for sms (Handcent, for example), but I haven't found it in any Messenger service.

Do you know any?

Dec 10, 2010
San Francisco
Bump. I'm looking for one too. I looked into evolveSms but I think its a bit over priced for the features. I'm currently using handcent but I don't really like the UI.

powersimon

Oct 28, 2012
I have a data plan with limited sms, so I am interested in messenger/chat service like Whatsapp, Telegram, Kakao Talk and so on, but they all don't offer the 'private chat' option.

shiva-afk

Sep 13, 2010
Threema has an Option for PIN Protection.
If activated you have to enter your PIN Code before you can see the messages.

The Problem with Threema is the same with most other messengers ... it´s not open source.

androidrocks23

Go Sms Pro

Try GO SMS PRO the best messaging app on playstore it has lots of themes a good ui and the most important one privacy !!! you can protect your messages with pin or pattern lock !!! you can search on play store. I think you have to pay for some features but you can try it !!!

Sorry for my bad english ....!

powersimon

Oct 28, 2012
Try GO SMS PRO the best messaging app on playstore it has lots of themes a good ui and the most important one privacy !!! you can protect your messages with pin or pattern lock !!! you can search on play store. I think you have to pay for some features but you can try it !!!

Sorry for my bad english ....!

Once again, I'm not interested in sms app, I need some messenger app working through data network. Maybe with the same features of go sms pro.

Furchendackel

Feb 25, 2014
Stralsund
As shiva-afk stated, Threema has the protection option you want. It provides end-to-end encryption and protects your send/received messages/media:

First, you can protect your conversations if you set a passphrase for your encryption key. So, if you end the Threema process or reboot your phone, you have to enter this passphrase first before you can access any chat log or received pictures since they are stored encrypted (unless you exported them from the app into common store like the sd card).

Second, you can set a PIN to the app itself. So, even if you have unlocked the key with your passphrase, the app locks itself after being idle for some time and asks for a pin. You can define the time before it locks itself in several steps (30s, 1m, 2m, 5m, 10m, 20m).

However, it is not free (costs ~1,60€) and its not open source. The devs (from Switzerland) claim to use the common NaCl-library for crypto, but you must trust their sayings.

https://threema.ch

Last edited: