Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,959 Members 46,338 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it me or.....

Tip us?

abuttino
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 219
Default Is it me or.....

..... Are there way to many local media casting apps?

It seems another one pops up every few days.

I am all for a free market but, c'mon, let's get some originality!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jasenko
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Nothing wrong with it, in my opinion. One of them might come up as the ultimate Chromecast app. So far for me, top stop is reserved for BubbleUPnP, but I would change in the heartbeat if something better comes out (tough ask).

siratfus
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuttino View Post

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I was about to post the same thing. So far it has been very redundant and underwhelming. We need mirroring ASAP. And I'm still waiting for that app that makes me say, "Wow, I never thought of using the chromecast that way!"

Don't get me wrong, I love my chromecast. Best bang for the buck in the history of computers/electronics. I'm just spoiled. LOL!

Jersey846
Old
Thanks Meter 184
I've never been opposed to choice. In fact it's why I own Android products and not an iPhone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using xda-developers app

abuttino
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 219
I stated that in my post. I am all for free market.

I would just hope that someone can think of something better than all these local media streamers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuttino View Post

I think it's just a matter of those apps being the most logical early adopters for CCast support cause once one media player supports CCast the rest have to make sure to follow or lose marketshare.
And I wouldn't discount Google and the Whitelisting for reasons why we aren't seeing more innovative Apps for the CCast.

Players are pretty straight forward and other Apps are probably getting a bit more scrutiny from Google before getting approved for Whitelisting since those operations actually require a more complex code on the CCast side than the Local Player apps do.

The only thing that I'm disappointed in is the fact that none of the Local Stream Devs are doing much to expand the capabilities of the player on the CCast side. Bubble has probably done the most with it's subtitle support, and Plex's latest release has added a ton of features including Music Photo and some Eye Candy during navigation.

The Most popular Android player apps were popular due to the extra container and codec support they had but unless they can add that support to the CCast side player (difficult I know) their supporting CCast really isn't going to help them retain Market.

As for Mirroring you probably have two forces at play holding it up.

First the Operating System support has to be there which means only devices with 4.2.x or higher will likely be able to run it,
and Second would be the security issues (@bhiga mentioned early on) that could be triggered by some malware that could trigger your unit to mirror to someone else and violate privacy.

Even if someone finds a way to do Mirroring well I would expect Google to go over it with a fine tooth comb before they whitelisted it and lets be honest they may NEVER allow 3rd party Mirroring Apps and prefer to control that function all on their own. Perhaps as part of future versions of Android which currently the SDK seems to have the code for it but is not being used by anyone at the moment.