No registration required

Update N9005 from 4.3 to 4.4.2

OP Geicher

3rd March 2014, 07:55 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
Hi,
i got a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with Android 4.3 currently installed.

I would like to update it to 4.4.2 but i have several questions before i want to take the risk of updating the device.

As a german user i downloaded this firmware file from sammobile.com:
N9005XXUENB4_N9005DBTENB1_N9005XXUENB1_HOME.tar.md 5

This should be the german unbranded 4.4.2 firmware file for the Note 3 N9005.

After reading a few tutorials i saw some people who have problems while flashing this Firmware, because of that i hope you can help me here.

First question:
In Odin i can select the "Phone Bootloader Update", some people are saying i have to select this or the device or it won't work properly after the flash.
Do i have to select this and what happens when i do it?

Second question:
A lot of people also have problems while flashing this firmware because of a missing .pit file (-> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2664461)

So do I have to select an .pit file or not?

I really, really hope you can help me with that because Google couldn't help me at all so far.
3rd March 2014, 09:19 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geicher

I would like to update it to 4.4.2

I am actually trying to do the very same thing

The thing is: if you didn't already get an update OTA / via kies (since samsung rolled out kitkat in germany a few days ago) chances are, you are not having a german phone, like myself.

so please enter *#1234# into the dialer app and post the results

also, it would be nice to know your country/product code: if you happen to have the box the phone came in, check the label where your imei and gsm frequencies are mentioned.
There, you'll find a string like "SM-N9005ZKEROM" which (in my case) means a black note 3 from romania
or hook it up with kies and tell the last three characters between the brackets in your firmware version

to your first question: uncheck it. AFAIK, if it is set, the firmware will flash a new bootloader onto your device, and in most cases you don't want that, it could mess your phone up badly. correct me if i'm wrong.

Back to the rom, which also addresses you 2nd question:
The actual problem with simply flashing the DBT rom is that the EU devices happen to be partitioned differently from the german ones, so [U]odin will fail[U] if you have a device with an uncompatible CSC/Product code (e.g. an east-european device), which in turn may or may not trigger knox and/or void your warranty.

i currently try to get more information on that topic.

nevertheless, pocketpc.ch provides a tutorial which mentions flashing DBT firmware along with a custom pit file, which may or may not void your warranty, but doesn't seem to trigger knox (pm me for a link or google it yourself: "Flashen der DBT-FW auf EU-Geräte")
The Following User Says Thank You to kamikatze13 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd March 2014, 09:38 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
Thank you very much for your detailed answer, as far as i know i will receive the device tomorrow. (Amazon DE order)

I will post the details as soon as i have access to them!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread