[Q] ADB command to push a file to the system directory [NOT ROOTED]

OP mwrobe1

4th March 2014, 04:13 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 16

37 posts
More
If this is in the wrong place then I apologize. I have a stock AT&T Galaxy S3 now running 4.3.

I like TW for whatever reason and recently unrooted to go from 4.1.2 to 4.3. There is one hack that I found on this site that was wonderful...Auto-connect Data on sending/receiving MMS (http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...g-mms-t2102186) I work out of my house and I'm always on wifi...for the battery savings I toggle mobile data off when I'm at home. On an unmodified GS3, when mobile data is off...you don't get MMS (until I found the edit to the \system\csc\feature.xml file to force connect it.)

Problem is, with the unrooted stock ROM and KNOX I can't get write privs to that file (and the whole system directory) w/o rooting. (or so I thought?) I did a little digging and came up with what I think is a workaround...but before I spend any time with it, I got a few questions.

Say I make a copy of the feature.xml file to my sdcard and make the auto connect edit to it: <CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS>true</CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS>

Would the following adb commands work to push my modified feature.xml file to the system/csc directory? Or is root and/or KNOX removal completely necessary?

Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o rw, remount /dev/block/stl9 /system
dd if=/sdcard/feature.xml of=/system/csc/feature.xml
4th March 2014, 08:49 AM   |  #2  
Flag area 51
Thanks Meter: 61

396 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrobe1

If this is in the wrong place then I apologize. I have a stock AT&T Galaxy S3 now running 4.3.

I like TW for whatever reason and recently unrooted to go from 4.1.2 to 4.3. There is one hack that I found on this site that was wonderful...Auto-connect Data on sending/receiving MMS (http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...g-mms-t2102186) I work out of my house and I'm always on wifi...for the battery savings I toggle mobile data off when I'm at home. On an unmodified GS3, when mobile data is off...you don't get MMS (until I found the edit to the \system\csc\feature.xml file to force connect it.)

Problem is, with the unrooted stock ROM and KNOX I can't get write privs to that file (and the whole system directory) w/o rooting. (or so I thought?) I did a little digging and came up with what I think is a workaround...but before I spend any time with it, I got a few questions.

Say I make a copy of the feature.xml file to my sdcard and make the auto connect edit to it: <CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS>true</CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS>

Would the following adb commands work to push my modified feature.xml file to the system/csc directory? Or is root and/or KNOX removal completely necessary?

Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o rw, remount /dev/block/stl9 /system
dd if=/sdcard/feature.xml of=/system/csc/feature.xml

In other words root means all access (read and write) to all partitions). If you write something to /system/ . You will need that partition to be set to read and write. which means having root!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread