Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Widgets not updating on home screen, no root or rom changes.

OP PsykoGeek

3rd March 2014, 12:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

11 posts
Hi, On 2 LG optimus G pro phones, the home screen widget items stop updating after some short time.
A phone rotation ( landscape portrait) does re-update the home screen and widgets, but is getting frustrating using that method.

Both phones are stock (AT&T), one has some minor OTA updating done, they are neither rooted nor rom changed. I have no intention at this time of rooting it or changing the rom. Please help with ideas that would work without these changes.

This behaviour has not been any different from a Factory reset , which I did prior to final installs. The issue was present from the first 3rd party widget to the phone having 16 switcher widgets and a few program widgets.

Are there any settings on the phone that would change this home screen from dropping off to sleep ? I am sure it saves battery, and might be the purpose of it, but it does not suit my purposes to have this happen.
I have tried many settings, like keeping core control off , etc. But i have not observed any change in this.

Is there any cheap tricks i can apply to get the home screen to run a refresh?

Is there any apps that could be applied to automate a home screen refresh? Like i am using macrodroid to automate other things, and it knows when i have made a widget switch, some app that would force a screen refresh would be a good workaround at this point.

The behaviour would hardly be noticed by somone using the device as a Phone first, and mostly as a phone. My use of the device is more like a Tablet, watching movies browsing the web and playing music and all.

When placing this question I was presented with many similar questions for other 4+ type phones, none of them were solved only Me-Tooed. Any ideas for workaround or cheap tricking the thing into refreshing would be very interesting to me.
thanks.
Last edited by PsykoGeek; 3rd March 2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: adding data
3rd March 2014, 04:46 PM   |  #2  
Flag Saint Cloud, Florida
Thanks Meter: 565

1,282 posts
More
Tasker + Greenify would work but you'd have to be rooted in order to use Greenify on system apps. I had the same problem as well. I have tasker set up to hibernate my home screen when turning off the screen and waking it up when the device is unlocked. Adding widgets into that would increase your battery life AND keep the widgets working normally when you unlock the screen.

Sent from my Carbon LG-E980
4th March 2014, 05:53 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

11 posts
Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neroga

Tasker + Greenify

Interesting, because greenify updated rescent , so it can do its tricks without root (manually). applied the "accessability" trick on 4.1+ devices. If that would somehow work, it just leaves trying to automate it with some very simple method, so far i avoided tasker because it is more akin to programming (takes too long to learn nuances), where my level is more like simple scripting, which I got done in minutes with macrodroid.
Last edited by PsykoGeek; 4th March 2014 at 06:02 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread