Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,463 Members 40,294 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] App for doing notes on pdf's and images

Tip us?

lukair1983
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Default [Q] App for doing notes on pdf's and images

I'm looking for best available app (can be free or not, doesn't matter) for taking notes on pdf's and all sords of images. This app should meet below conditions:

1) can be used with s-pen
2) can open files (pdf's, images) in all sizes (for example Lecture Notes can only open pdf's up to a particular size)
3) should allow for basic sorts of styling the pen (different width of brush as well as color)
4) should be able to save in the same format the original file was opened
5) should give possibility for basic sharing (gmail, sms/mms)
6) should allow to write with s-pen, and at the same time to scroll and zoom-in with fingers (for example Acrobat Reader treats a finger as same as s-pen and just draws a line)
7) should scale past the boundries (for example acrobat reader only scales till a point you can notice pixel artifacts)

I've spent some time and I'm having trouble to find app that would sattisfy me. I think that the above is something many people would look for in these kind of app, but even so, I can't trace app like that. Lecture Notes (Which I own) is great for doing notes on lectures, but is not good for taking notes on pdf's and images. There is a nice app for pdf's "Note Anywhere", but it doesn't save/export pdf's after the notes were written.

What I'm looking for is basicaly:
1) I have a pdf/png with a large size (say 10000x10000)
2) I open pdf/png in application
3) I can zoom in and scroll using fingers
4) At the same time I can take notes using s-pen
5) When I'm done, I can export the pdf/png to original format with the written notes on it

Is there an app (or as last resort separate app for pdf's and separate for images) that will allow me that?

intelliriffer
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukair1983 View Post
I'm looking for best available app (can be free or not, doesn't matter) for taking notes on pdf's and all sords of images. This app should meet below conditions:

1) can be used with s-pen
2) can open files (pdf's, images) in all sizes (for example Lecture Notes can only open pdf's up to a particular size)
3) should allow for basic sorts of styling the pen (different width of brush as well as color)
4) should be able to save in the same format the original file was opened
5) should give possibility for basic sharing (gmail, sms/mms)
6) should allow to write with s-pen, and at the same time to scroll and zoom-in with fingers (for example Acrobat Reader treats a finger as same as s-pen and just draws a line)
7) should scale past the boundries (for example acrobat reader only scales till a point you can notice pixel artifacts)

I've spent some time and I'm having trouble to find app that would sattisfy me. I think that the above is something many people would look for in these kind of app, but even so, I can't trace app like that. Lecture Notes (Which I own) is great for doing notes on lectures, but is not good for taking notes on pdf's and images. There is a nice app for pdf's "Note Anywhere", but it doesn't save/export pdf's after the notes were written.

What I'm looking for is basicaly:
1) I have a pdf/png with a large size (say 10000x10000)
2) I open pdf/png in application
3) I can zoom in and scroll using fingers
4) At the same time I can take notes using s-pen
5) When I'm done, I can export the pdf/png to original format with the written notes on it

Is there an app (or as last resort separate app for pdf's and separate for images) that will allow me that?
I have been through a couple of apps for similar needs and for your requirements skitch seems to be most suitable.

However you should reconsider 10k x 10k res sizes as just a bitmap of that size takes around 300 mb ram and might degrade performance.
With Skitch , you'll need commercial version to save pdf, however you can try free version for images and try working on pdf. Usually most image programs that allow annotations will cap at 2048 res or close about.

lukair1983
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Thank you very much for taking the time.

I looked into skitch, but unfortunetly it does cap the pdf size. Not all apps behave like that to be honest. Adobe is one, ezPDF is another, and "Note Anywhere" is another one, so this functionality can be attained. The problem is, those app's have another issues with them.

The 10000x10000 res I gave as an example mostly has to do with pdf's, rather than images. I currently have a very big pdf single page sheet that I'm working on, which is a design workflow.

BclingergFJ
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Pdf files Lecture Notes.

Via my Note 3

emt981
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Try Foxit PDF. I used it with a text book and it worked very well for me, was able to make notations anywhere, highlight text, etc. Bonus, it's free!