Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,161 Members 52,892 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Take OTA update?

Tip us?

str8nitro
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 272
Default [Q] Take OTA update?

Just picked up my note 3 running 4.3 an hour ago and have not unlocked/rooted/custom recovery it yet, still 100% stock. There is an OTA available and I was wondering if I should take it before rooting?
Thanks in advance
If I have helped hit thanks and show some love

MrWicked1
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
You can either, accept the ota and then root(which I never liked accepting a ota cause Im cautious of downloads being corrupt.) Or you can download a odin version of kitkat and flash thru odin then root(which is what I did)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900P(Sprint)
Bootloader: Nab Engineering
Rom: Sacs KitKat v2

Past: Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S2SII(Epic 4g Touch), Htc Evo 4g, Htc Hero, Blackberry 8330 Curve

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrWicked1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

str8nitro
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 272
Thank you very much for your answer MrWicked! One more question if I may ... I just came from US Cellular with the Note 2 to Sprint with the Note 3 - we had very little development there compared to here. I have read a ton of topics on here today about Knox, NAB engineering bootloader, Odin ... etc. and I understand that and how to follow instructions, but I see several different ways. I was wondering which method you used or would suggest? All I am trying to accomplish at this point is root, custom recovery, a (close to) stock rom, (hopefully) not trip the Knox trigger, and run titanium backup (which I read there are issues with that I have to fix afterwards).

MrWicked1
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
Ok couple things, no matter what root method you chose once you flash a recovery it will trip knox. So that being said you have a couple options......

1. You flash via odin the kitkat update and use the "kingo" root method which I personally have not tried and can't give much input on. It is not supposed to trip knox it leaves you rooted but with your stock recovery. Once you flash a recovery you trip knox. But you are stuck with a stock rooted rom in which you could use titanium backup.

2. You flash the kitkat via odin, and you use Chainfire's method(which is what i did personally) I have always had good luck with Chainfire's root methods. but then it trips knox and you can flash a recovery and flash what ever roms you like. But at this time technically you warranty is voided with Samsung.

Past: Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S2SII(Epic 4g Touch), Htc Evo 4g, Htc Hero, Blackberry 8330 Curve

The Following User Says Thank You to MrWicked1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rcjunky
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8nitro View Post
Just picked up my note 3 running 4.3 an hour ago and have not unlocked/rooted/custom recovery it yet, still 100% stock. There is an OTA available and I was wondering if I should take it before rooting?
Thanks in advance

I would wait on kitkat. I have been running it on a stock n3 for about a wk now and I'm not liking it at all. my bluetooth for my car is very buggy, stock email is buggy and I'm getting a 3rd less battery out of it. I would have 70% left at the end of my day now I'm lucky if I have 50%. I would wait for kitkat until they work out the bugs.

MrWicked1
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky View Post
I would wait on kitkat. I have been running it on a stock n3 for about a wk now and I'm not liking it at all. my bluetooth for my car is very buggy, stock email is buggy and I'm getting a 3rd less battery out of it. I would have 70% left at the end of my day now I'm lucky if I have 50%. I would wait for kitkat until they work out the bugs.
Obviously it varies per phone but what are you running? I had the opposite effect Bluetooth in car is wayyyyy better and battery life is great. But I'm running Sacs v1 KitKat so that might be why we are having different experiences also.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to MrWicked1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

str8nitro
Old
(Last edited by str8nitro; 6th March 2014 at 01:13 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky View Post
Thanks for the advice on this, may I ask what Rom you are on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWicked1 View Post
Obviously it varies per phone but what are you running? I had the opposite effect Bluetooth in car is wayyyyy better and battery life is great. But I'm running Sacs v1 KitKat so that might be why we are having different experiences also.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Been reading up on Sacs v1 and it looks like I wouldn't have a problem if I go this route since I am on mj4. It looks like I can follow the instructions completely from rlmiller here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=20 and do my root and everything in one stop shopping. Also from what I have read once I go to kit kat I can't go back to jelly bean ... I would assume there would be no reason to back up my stock rom after rooting since I can't go back ever.

MrWicked1
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for the advice on this, may I ask what Rom you are on?

Been reading up on Sacs v1 and it looks like I wouldn't have a problem if I go this route since I am on mj4. It looks like I can follow the instructions completely from rlmiller here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=20 and do my root and everything in one stop shopping. Also from what I have read once I go to kit kat I can't go back to jelly bean ... I would assume there would be no reason to back up my stock rom after rooting since I can't go back ever.

Yep

str8nitro
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWicked1 View Post
Yep
I have used TWRP before but mostly CM, I am not familiar with PHILZ at all, Is one better than the other? I really appreciate your time and advice here as I am sure others with the same questions will as well. Thanks!

MrWicked1
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I have used TWRP before but mostly CM, I am not familiar with PHILZ at all, Is one better than the other? I really appreciate your time and advice here as I am sure others with the same questions will as well. Thanks!

Personally I love twrp but it doesn't always seem to go as smooth with it. Philz is a modified version of Cm. Philz is rpetty much the go to for least amount of problems.