Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,344 Members 46,666 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cheapest Android phone with full kernel source

Tip us?

aramess
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Cheapest Android phone with full kernel source

What is the cheapest available phone out there that has full kernel and android sources? I and a bunch of classmates need to do a project which requires custom kernel building and development on a phone. We have experimented with dev boards etc but now its time to get 4-5 real phones, so obviously cost is an issue.

Our project doesn't really need very high resources, so ROM size/RAM size/CPU speed, etc don't matter much - as long as touch screen works, calling works, wifi works, and custom kernels and android can be built and uploaded to the phone, Unbrickable/difficult to brick is a plus of course.

Any suggestions? We looked at mt6573 based Motorola Xt389, which seemed perfect, but it seems there is no source code released even though motorola has released lots of source code for other devices ( on sourceforge /motorola/wiki/Projects/ ).

Is there ANY thing out there that we can use? I know there are several in the higher cost range with full source code, but something close to, or cheaper than Xt389 is pretty much all we have the budget for.

Would appreciate any suggestions!

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2610
HTC g1 (dream) can get these oh so cheap now. Or really any nexus device is made easy, do they have to be new or will used work?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aramess
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor View Post
HTC g1 (dream) can get these oh so cheap now. Or really any nexus device is made easy, do they have to be new or will used work?

On initial searches, HTC G1 looks like a promising lead. I will look into it further, thanks.

I'd prefer (relatively) recent CPUs though.

Used could be OK, as long as they are reliably available (5-10 pieces) in good condition - the phones might end up being demoed, so new wouldn't hurt, but we are students so I guess beggars can't be choosers.

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2610
If you want at least somewhat newer buy still used and cheap maybe check out nexus 1, nexus s, galaxy nexus, etc. Maybe even nexus 4. The moto g can be found brand new and comparatively cheap.
But for the cheapest with sources available I still would say g1, which is not hard to find and for sure inexpensive.
Buy I guess preference will be what you need to do specifically

aramess
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor View Post
If you want at least somewhat newer buy still used and cheap maybe check out nexus 1, nexus s, galaxy nexus, etc. Maybe even nexus 4. The moto g can be found brand new and comparatively cheap.
But for the cheapest with sources available I still would say g1, which is not hard to find and for sure inexpensive.
Buy I guess preference will be what you need to do specifically

So I looked into the G1 a bit. We are based in India - the prices in Indian Rupees (all from Ebay.in)

* Cheapest android phone (new) : ~2500 INR ( this one is based on Spreadtrum SC6820 SoC)
* Motorola Xt389: ~3500 INR (this one is based on mt6573)

The two above and dozens other models based on similar chinese chipsets are listedn by many vendors for 5000 INR or less.

* HTC G1: ~5000 INR (only one vendor, so a bit questionable in terms of reliable availability)
* Nexus S: ~ 6000 INR
* Nexus One: ~10,000 INR
* Galaxy Nexus: ~13000 INR
* Moto G: ~14,000 INR
* Nexus 4: ~18,000 INR

Unfortunately, anything beyond 5000 INR per piece would pretty much break our budget. So G1 does look viable and I hadn't even thought of it until you mentioned, so thanks again.

Is there really no hope for the Spreatrum and Mediatek ones? Those would be *SO* perfect for the project

androidrocks23
Old
(Last edited by androidrocks23; 4th March 2014 at 08:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 109

DONATE TO ME
Default Cheapest phone

You should go with samsung galaxy y, as it useful for experiments like flashing custom roms and kernels,tweaking,and many more...
and the most important one its inexpensive it should come under 5000 INR.