Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 46,626 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Photos Lost from Rom Flashing; Any way to recover?

Tip us?

xEden
Old
(Last edited by xEden; 5th March 2014 at 12:54 AM.) Reason: More info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Photos Lost from Rom Flashing; Any way to recover?

Pre-flashing, I created a backup with TWRP's backup, which contains the system, data, and boot folders. After flashing to a new rom (AOSP Google offical kit kat ver), I flashed back to stock, using Kies. However, no matter how hard I tried, I can't seem to find my pictures anymore. I attempted numerous recovery methods but to no avail.

I thought factory resets/ full wipes didn't remove the DCIM folder, but I was careless enough to forget to backup the folder seperately.

No folder I can find contains a .nomedia file, and I hopefully haven't overwritten the SD data yet.

I can't seem to connect my phone as a UMS, even though it shows up as a Drive. It just reports being empty (Windows asks to insert a disc).

I'm currently on a rooted, 4.2.2 JellyBean.

Also, does the /data contain the DCIM?
Is there any way to recover the photos, since I have the backup?

Edit: All data from other apps (Phone, Messages, Contacts, games, etc.) have been restored properly. However, music was wiped, which gives off an impression that I can't restore the photos. I won't give up hope; I believe in the skills of the community!

Thanks!

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,349
If you did a factory reset in the stock recovery you're sol. Don't know away to restore your photos.
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xEden
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Ah, dammit. Thanks for answering.

hankbizzo5
Old
(Last edited by hankbizzo5; 5th March 2014 at 01:41 AM.)
Thanks Meter 190

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xEden View Post
Ah, dammit. Thanks for answering.
I would not give up so fast.. There might just might be a recovery program out there that can help.. I have recovered from formatted partitions numerous times.. Google is your friend and good luck know how crappy it is to lose all your pics.. Edit try recuva if there is lost data on sd card..
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXXX
Are you always this dense?
SEARCH BAR

xEden
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankbizzo5 View Post
I would not give up so fast.. There might just might be a recovery program out there that can help.. I have recovered from formatted partitions numerous times.. Google is your friend and good luck know how crappy it is to lose all your pics..
I understand, but I've been using Google for about 2 days to no avail. From checking .nomedia, using ~10 common recovery tools, always failing in some way.

As a side note, do you know how to mount my phone (4.2.2 Jellybean, rooted) into UMS mode? I've gotten it to UMS mode, but I can't seem to be able to have Windows recognize it. It just shows as a blank F:\ drive that says "Please insert a disc". I think I would be able to progress further if I could have a fix to that. The majority of results say that it's impossible for 4.2.2, since one of the primary parties removed the feature (Samsung, I think?), or there's a fix for older versions.

Thanks for the good luck!