5,595,964 Members 31,236 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Install full Linux OS on note 10.1 2014 using Linux deploy.

Tip us?

caferick
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Fedora 19 via Complete Linux Installer. Have Selinux Permissive Kernel, Selinux Mode Changer, and root of course. Otherwise FW is stock MJ6.

Just a few remarks:

The Fedora image is a bit small for a full blown Linux desktop. I copied the contents to a larger 8 GB image. Had to reformat the SD card with exFAT in order to store the image there. Copying was done on a desktop computer because MTP connection just stops at 4 GB.

Changes to scripts include changing the mount command for external_sd to /storage/extSdCard in boot script. Once Linux is up and running, change /root/init.sh, find the line that starts vncserver and append -dpi 300, otherwise fonts in Linux are barely readable. Wigdets are still kind of small but at least the fonts are readable now.

If you get a connection refused in AndroidVNC, you may have to set a password on the Linux terminal for user, that is su - fedora, then vncpasswd.

Todo: find out why second start of Linux fails on loop mount busy and why shutdown complains about umount of dev.

So, my note happily runs KDE desktop, LibreOffice, and kile for LaTeX. The latter was the main reason for putting Linux on the note.
The Following User Says Thank You to caferick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Duly.noted
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferick View Post
Fedora 19 via Complete Linux Installer. Have Selinux Permissive Kernel, Selinux Mode Changer, and root of course. Otherwise FW is stock MJ6.

Just a few remarks:

The Fedora image is a bit small for a full blown Linux desktop. I copied the contents to a larger 8 GB image. Had to reformat the SD card with exFAT in order to store the image there. Copying was done on a desktop computer because MTP connection just stops at 4 GB.

Changes to scripts include changing the mount command for external_sd to /storage/extSdCard in boot script. Once Linux is up and running, change /root/init.sh, find the line that starts vncserver and append -dpi 300, otherwise fonts in Linux are barely readable. Wigdets are still kind of small but at least the fonts are readable now.

If you get a connection refused in AndroidVNC, you may have to set a password on the Linux terminal for user, that is su - fedora, then vncpasswd.

Todo: find out why second start of Linux fails on loop mount busy and why shutdown complains about umount of dev.

So, my note happily runs KDE desktop, LibreOffice, and kile for LaTeX. The latter was the main reason for putting Linux on the note.
Thanks for the post. I played around with linux on my note 2 and have been waiting to get it running on my 2014. How well does it handle linux?

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

caferick
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duly.noted View Post
How well does it handle linux?
It runs reasonably well. I guess the limiting factor is disk I/O, or SD I/O in this case. I run KDE 4 in desktop mode with graphical desktop effects disabled and most of the KDE services like indexing disabled. It takes about 15-20 seconds from finished boot to desktop. Once the desktop is up and running, opening apps like LibreOffice is fast enough. Feels like with the first generation Atom netbooks. KDE is a resource hog, it would probably make sense to go for something that is lighter on resources but I chose KDE for girlfriend compatibility. She only knows KDE and I won't force her to learn the XFCE way or something even more obscure like Gnome3 http://forum.xda-developers.com/imag...ies/tongue.gif .

Vncserver runs at native full screen, ie 2560x1600 at 300 dpi. There was a noticable screen redraw lag when closing windows. That was easily fixed by disabling the desktop background image. I have not yet done any high load tasks. Only opened LibreOffice and kile for a quick check.

I have a cheapo foldable bluetooth keyboard. Need to get a small bluetooth mouse. Any recommendations? Or a small keyboard/touchpad combo I can take with me when traveling.

Amadyl
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default To Caferick - Fedora 19 step by step

Hi can you explain step by step how u got the Fedora 19 to wor pleasek? where i can find the bootscript?

caferick
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadyl View Post
Hi can you explain step by step how u got the Fedora 19 to wor pleasek? where i can find the bootscript?
Hum, a step by step guide would be rather longish. To answer the question: Complete Linux Installer scripts are located in /data/data/com.zpwebsites.linuxonandroid/files. There is the bootscript.sh. However, editing it is not strictly necessary. It should work as is. Alright, let's see

Preliminaries:

* need root on your device along with the usual suspects like busybox and terminal emulator (both on Google Play)
* need selinux set to permissive -> flash selinux permissive kernel (to be found in xda forums) and install something like SELinuxModeChanger (Play) set to always change SELinux mode to permissive, check by rebooting and then Configuration > General > Device Info, it should say Permissive
* useful apps include a decent file manager (I like TotalCommander), ZIP extractor (ZArchiver), text editor (Jota), these make things somewhat easier
* required app: AndroidVNC (Play)

1. Install Complete Linux Installer from Play

* start the app and open the menu by touching the < sign at the top left
* choose installation guides (or the like, my interface is not English)
* choose Fedora 19, there are four tabs, work through them in sequence, second tab presents a download button, if you have not yet installed Terminal and AndroidVNC you can use the two other buttons to do it now
* third tab asks you to unzip the downloaded image, the ZIP will probably be in /storage/emulated/0/download, move it to the root of your external SD card, unzip with Zarchiver
* there should now be a new folder fedoraXXXXX with two files in it, the fedora-*.img and an md5 file, you can safely delete the md5 file and maybe rename the image to something like fedora.img, likewise for the enclosing folder
* read the rest of tab 3 and 4

2. Start Linux

* go back to CompLinInstaller menu and push the second entry labeled Start
* a page will open and probably say Ubuntu in the drop down combo box above the Start button, change it to Fedora and type in the path to the image, like /storage/extSdCard/fedora/fedora.img
* push the Start button
* a terminal will open and a few lines will fly by. If everything goes well, you will be asked to set passwords two times, just use a trivial one like 12345678, you can change it later if you are paranoid about passwords
* you will be asked to set the resolution for VNC, type 2560x1600 which is the native resolution of the tab
* you will be asked whether you want to autostart VNC, type y
* you will be asked whether you want to start SSH server, type n
* your choice will be saved right beside the image file, in my case the file is called fedora.img.config, you can change it with any text editor

3. In the chroot terminal

* still in the terminal, the prompt should now say root@localhost
* while you are there, type su - fedora , the prompt should change to fedora@localhost
* type vncpasswd to set a password for VNC access, just use the same password as above, then type exit
* you are back at root@localhost. If you have a keyboard (bluetooth or USB), you can edit the file init.sh with vi and append -dpi 300 to vncserver startup line. This setting will take effect at next start because vncserver. If you do not have a keyboard or do not know vi editor, you can skip this for now.

4. VNC

* start AndroidVNC, Nick: fedora, Password: 12345678, Address: localhost, Port: 5900, Color Format: 24-bit color (4bpp), Connect
* you should now see a linux desktop with tiny fonts
* hit the tabs config button to bring up AndroidVNC options, change input mode to touchpad
* you can now move the linux pointer with your finger on the display

5. Shutdown

* in VNC Linux logout just as you would log out of any other Linux desktop
* terminate VNC session by choosing Disconnect from AndroidVNC config menu
* switch to the still running terminal and type exit
* Linux now stops, wait a few seconds and close the terminal

There are still some minor problems with shutdown which I am trying to trace. A subsequent start of Linux will not work because of busy devices. So best reboot the tab and try again.

That's it for the base setup. Uh, the text is long indeed. Has it worked for you so far? Next comes customization

Corrections welcome, I typed this down from memory...

Tautvaldas
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Default script

So we need to create script ourselves, when i've done it, i was set resolution to my tablet's resolution, then all is poor to see, that words and windows is too small to work, so it's horrible at the moment, but else works good enough. Is anyone know how to get normal UI on that big resolution? Sorry for my bad english.

pipe086
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hey guys is there a walk through on how to increase the IMG size for fedora in a windowc pc ? i al ready have the SD partitioned just need to encrease the size to 10 GB