Rom Port Team Effort - Let's bring a diversity of roms to our P880.

Search This thread

MidnightDevil

Apr 2, 2012
London
Redmi Note 9
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Rom Port Team Effort

Hello P880 community.

This post has the purpose to put together a group of users / developers, who are willing to participate into bringing a different set of roms into our community.
These set of roms that I'm thinking, can range from complete Sense ports to more customized and maybe less popular roms (like ColorOS, LiGux, FlymeOS, FluidUI, etc..).

What's valid on this thread:
- CM / AOSP (any base we already have) themed (like Samsung TouchUI, Optimus, Blur, etc..). So you can grab any rom (with author authorization), theme it (i mean, not just shove an apk as default theme, I mean neat theming ;) ).
- Ports from other devices (evert port needs to have clear authors permission to port it).
- All users are very welcome, everyone can participate, users with porting / developing skills are needed as well.

The idea is simple, we're not going to use this thread to post the work, this is just a thread to talk about possible projects.
We can start by listing which devices are hardware compatible and the port is "easily" possible.

Roms that can be used as a base for eventual future ports.

CM10.2 - thanks to laufersteppenwolf for compiling this build promptly for this purpose :)
http://goo.im/devs/laufersteppenwolf/CM10.2//cm-10.2-20140305-UNOFFICIAL-p880.zip

- - - - -

I strongly recommend the use of MultiRom for testing ports and other roms. That way you can maintain your working rom and whenver feeling adventurous you can without going through the hassle of backup / restore / yada yada yada that we are all too familiar with.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2655988

- - List of Devices with hardware similar / close / identical to the 4X - -

- HTC One X
- HTC One X +
- More ??

- Possible roms to port:

Right now would be nice to see a OEM rom, such a touchwiz or Sense ;)

Work in Progress
N/A available

(awaiting sugestions :)

So, what do you guys think? ? Any users with good porting skills ? I know we have good developers! :) Ideas? Sugestions?

Write away :)

A few guides from XDA - They may not be all you need to get the job done, but a LOT of important information is written here. Don't forget to thanks their authors :)

Guides / Tutorials

PS - Every work that is possible to port and if someone decides to invest time in it, it needs explicit authors permission.

Last edited:

JoinTheRealms

Apr 7, 2012
Sure if a few people want a particular rom i can bring it to our device, but i would much prefer helping first time rom builders do this own their own :) then they can maintain it also :p

Reactions: MidnightDevil

MidnightDevil

Apr 2, 2012
London
Redmi Note 9
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Sure if a few people want a particular rom i can bring it to our device, but i would much prefer helping first time rom builders do this own their own :) then they can maintain it also :p

Well, I though about some sort of "voting" to bring a "specific" rom.
Personally, I'd love to have Sense on our device. I had two HTC's before and I miss that Sense interface :b
But far as I'm aware, isn't an easy thing to port.

About your offer, this thread stands mostly with learning. The idea is everyone being able to contribute and more users start bringing roms as their first times. So, thank you so much for lending your help and know how, I'm sure we'll have a fine list of possible ports and then we can talk about how to port them over :)
Everyone can ask for help and the idea is to everyone who is able to - help.

laufersteppenwolf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
I like the idea of this thread, but what would also be quite usefull is a list of available ROMs and their maintainer(s).
Also the list should include ROMs someone is working on ATM, so it cannot happpen that 2 devs are working on the same ROM ;)

However, your idea is good, but porting a ROM not from sorce is quite hard, and might need some smali "hacking" in order to resolve bugs.
But well, we're a community, and I guess we can help each other if needed, right ;)

MidnightDevil

Apr 2, 2012
London
Redmi Note 9
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I like the idea of this thread, but what would also be quite usefull is a list of available ROMs and their maintainer(s).
Also the list should include ROMs someone is working on ATM, so it cannot happpen that 2 devs are working on the same ROM ;)

However, your idea is good, but porting a ROM not from sorce is quite hard, and might need some smali "hacking" in order to resolve bugs.
But well, we're a community, and I guess we can help each other if needed, right ;)

That's correct! :good:
The main point is to learn helping each other :) who knows in a month or so, today's whiners are tomorrow's contributors :D
Jokes aside, the first post will be edited in order to structure and add information.
I'm gonna start with compatible devices (the ones that allow porting in a easy way). Ideas? Besides the HTC One X ? I'm guessing the grouper (N7 2012) besides having the same soc, doesn't have the same screen...

PS - (this would be better with an experienced porter) - Maybe we could start with a easy one, and go on from there :)
I know we have "how to port" threads all around xda ,but each port is different so we can't use "one hat to fit them all" ... or a ring to rule them all, so we should treat each port differently.

However.. I'm gonna put some xda links about porting to bring some light into the matter for who is "new" on this subject... or for whom's feeling adventurous and can't wait to have "their" rom on "our" device ;)

Last edited:

FettleifIsMyUserName

Jun 30, 2012
Sandnes
Oh yes finally, have been waiting for a thread like this for a long time :) me as well would love to see a sense rom on this phone :D
cm/aosp roms are not that hard to port most of the time u only need the same screen resolution for it to work. (ported a nexus s touchwiz rom over to my old lg optimus 2x) but would have loved to see some oem roms ported over as well, even though it would be a lot harder to port over. but as a wonderful community as this is we might be able to pull it off :)

laufersteppenwolf

Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com

That's correct! :good:
The main point is to learn helping each other :) who knows in a month or so, today's whiners are tomorrow's contributors :D
Jokes aside, the first post will be edited in order to structure and add information.
I'm gonna start with compatible devices (the ones that allow porting in a easy way). Ideas? Besides the HTC One X ? I'm guessing the grouper (N7 2012) besides having the same soc, doesn't have the same screen...

PS - (this would be better with an experienced porter) - Maybe we could start with a easy one, and go on from there :)
I know we have "how to port" threads all around xda ,but each port is different so we can't use "one hat to fit them all" ... or a ring to rule them all, so we should treat each port differently.

However.. I'm gonna put some xda links about porting to bring some light into the matter for who is "new" on this subject... or for whom's feeling adventurous and can't wait to have "their" rom on "our" device ;)

You can add the HOX+ to the list as well ;)

About porting, you need to seperate it in two halfs, porting from source, and "winzipping". TBH, I'm no fas of winzipping at all, but some stuff (like sense or TW) can only be winzipped...

BTW, if you need a 2nd/3rd post, just let me know ;)

sprite048

Aug 6, 2013
Personally, I'd like to see a GFlex or even better, a G2 (/mini) ROM for our phone :) (KitKat, of course )

Reactions: Sipi1302

josip-k

Feb 20, 2011
Jastrebarsko
Samsung Galaxy S20
ASUS ZenFone 8
This thread has potential :)

I'm new to this forum,so i dont know whats going on about roms,i see there are few devs working full time. :)
I think this is the best way to go: Port ALL open source roms,such as we have already,but we need them all.

Second,make a badass kernel,with all features and customizations,possibly 3.4.

Third,and just a suggestion,Make a community ROM?

I really like this thread,and i even more like this OX4 community,you all get along,and i've missed that,i was on a forum that has no frendly people whatsoever.

And,about the roms,the idea is awesome,but i always think of the clash of clans rule,max everything out before going on a higher level. :)

Sent from my LG-P880 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

MidnightDevil

Apr 2, 2012
London
Redmi Note 9
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Regarding stock roms, it's an interesting thing, but I'm guessing stock roms are more trouble to port comparing to AOSP or CM.
I remember on the HTC Sensation forums the headaches sense brought to many developers and porters, the bunch of files that needed to be edited, kernel changes (aosp kernel is different from stock / sense kernel in that case).. so Stock roms are maybe harder to port fully.
Right now we have some apks from the G2 (lock screen, messaging, etc..), maybe someone will port some things from the Flex, but the whole base.. hum :)

@DeHuMaNiZeD , thanks for your reply :)
The other roms based of AOSP and CM, in my opinion, unless they're different (modded, themed, customized - etc..) but if not, if they are "clean" roms with no changes, then - we have them already :) I believe you'll agree. (Unless the idea is to test something).

A 3.4 kernel would be something, but perhaps a developer can shed some light here - what benefits would we have from a 3.4 kernel ?

A community rom is indeed long due. This thread is a different subject because it's about *several* roms, ports and tutorials, maybe you would like to create a thread here on General about that? You can start with votes (i believe it's a proper way to do it) with which base should we use (Cm, AOSP, Stock, etc..), included apps (or not), possibly aroma maybe :) and so on :)

Last edited:

laufersteppenwolf

Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
This thread has potential :)

I'm new to this forum,so i dont know whats going on about roms,i see there are few devs working full time. :)
I think this is the best way to go: Port ALL open source roms,such as we have already,but we need them all.

Second,make a badass kernel,with all features and customizations,possibly 3.4.

Third,and just a suggestion,Make a community ROM?

I really like this thread,and i even more like this OX4 community,you all get along,and i've missed that,i was on a forum that has no frendly people whatsoever.

And,about the roms,the idea is awesome,but i always think of the clash of clans rule,max everything out before going on a higher level. :)

Well, this sounds quite good, but the real problem is: this is a hell lot of work. Also, it needs resources. The sourcecode of a ROM is ~25-30GB. When it's compiled it's about double the size, and takes my PC (8 cores @ 4GHz) about 75Min to compile. Not to mention the time 'til the sources are Downloaded. My 500GB HDD is near to its limit very soon, so sooner or later I will need a new HDD, then I might be able to get another ROM ported, but right now, hard...

Also, why do you need a 3.4 kernel?

Regarding stock roms, it's an interesting thing, but I'm guessing stock roms are more trouble to port comparing to AOSP or CM.
I remember on the HTC Sensation forums the headaches sense brought to many developers and porters, the bunch of files that needed to be edited, kernel changes (aosp kernel is different from stock / sense kernel in that case).. so Stock roms are maybe harder to port fully.
Right now we have some apks from the G2 (lock screen, messaging, etc..), maybe someone will port some things from the Flex, but the whole base.. hum :)

@DeHuMaNiZeD , thanks for your reply :)
The other roms based of AOSP and CM, in my opinion, unless they're different (modded, themed, customized - etc..) but if not, if they are "clean" roms with no changes, then - we have them already :) I believe you'll agree. (Unless the idea is to test something).

A 3.4 kernel would be something, but perhaps a developer can shed some light here - what benefits would we have from a 3.4 kernel ?

A community rom is indeed long due. This thread is a different subject because it's about *several* roms, ports and tutorials, maybe you would like to create a thread here on General about that? You can start with votes (i believe it's a proper way to do it) with which base should we use (Cm, AOSP, Stock, etc..), included apps (or not), possibly aroma maybe :) and so on :)

For stock ROMs to work, it's your best bet to use AOSP as your base, and then look for what's missing/broken. This, however, means you need an AOSP base first to work with. And AOSP is not always the easiest thing to get properly running.

About the benefits of an 3.4 kernel: None IMO. All you get is a higher version-number, and that's it. We actually already have some 3.4 features backported, and also tweaked the 3.1 kernel quite a lot. So the actual benefits are all in your head (well, except you count bugs as benefits ;) :p )

Community ROM? Meh, what for? We have so many ROMs already, so everyone should find the one that suits him/her best ;)

BTW: Thread stuck

josip-k

Feb 20, 2011
Jastrebarsko
Samsung Galaxy S20
ASUS ZenFone 8
Well, this sounds quite good, but the real problem is: this is a hell lot of work. Also, it needs resources. The sourcecode of a ROM is ~25-30GB. When it's compiled it's about double the size, and takes my PC (8 cores @ 4GHz) about 75Min to compile. Not to mention the time 'til the sources are Downloaded. My 500GB HDD is near to its limit very soon, so sooner or later I will need a new HDD, then I might be able to get another ROM ported, but right now, hard...

Also, why do you need a 3.4 kernel?

For stock ROMs to work, it's your best bet to use AOSP as your base, and then look for what's missing/broken. This, however, means you need an AOSP base first to work with. And AOSP is not always the easiest thing to get properly running.

About the benefits of an 3.4 kernel: None IMO. All you get is a higher version-number, and that's it. We actually already have some 3.4 features backported, and also tweaked the 3.1 kernel quite a lot. So the actual benefits are all in your head (well, except you count bugs as benefits ;) :p )

Community ROM? Meh, what for? We have so many ROMs already, so everyone should find the one that suits him/her best ;)

BTW: Thread stuck

Why dont you set up that build server,i think they're cheap atm,or someone could borrow you? It would take a lot less time and effort. :) that's why i think offical rom support is important,once it's merged to the build bot,its their responsibility. :)

laufersteppenwolf

Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
Why dont you set up that build server,i think they're cheap atm,or someone could borrow you? It would take a lot less time and effort. :) that's why i think offical rom support is important,once it's merged to the build bot,its their responsibility. :)

It's not as easy as you might think ;) :D
I do have access to a buildserver, however I only have 100GB as it's a shared one, so this is genious for official builds, or quick tests/ports. But it isn't ideal for the long terms.
Also, having it official doesn't mean you're done ;) you need to update it, and also fix it when it's broken. 'cause when it's broken, it can mess up the whole build process of the buildbot ;)
But in general, you're right, having it official does help a lot

MidnightDevil

Apr 2, 2012
London
Redmi Note 9
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Does anyone of you have a link to the latest CM10.2 (Android 4.3) for our device?
It seems like it's not anymore on get.cm and I wanted to start porting a TouchWiz (Note 3) ROM to our phone when I have free time :)

I can't find them either, but I'm on a tablet so I can't look properly.
@laufersteppenwolf, do you have any *spare* 4.3 build? :D

Adam77Root

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 3, 2012
Lot of things to comment on here. :D Very good initiative I have to admit. I'm sure I'll have more ideas as the discussion evolves. :D
Similar hardware: You can add HOX+ as laufer said. Very minor differences are there only.
What I would personally prefer is TouchWiz, at least Nature UX 2.0, but new S5 UI is also really awesome. I liked Sense till 4.5, but 5.0+ versions are now out of my 'inner circles'. :D Especially what I don't like is the UI.
Few suggestions:
  • FlymeOS (from Meizu MX) - I got 2.0 booting last summer, but had touchkey issues (they were freezing the device lol) and never released it. Nobody ever booted 2.0+ on other Android devices yet. :D

Porting LG roms might be the best start, I think porting full Optimus G system wouldn't be that hard. Just a pain in the *ss merging process.
What we mainly need is same screen size (unless you wanna resizing 100+ apps :p). Similar SoC is a good extra, but that's very limited. Also, it's better to avoid Qualcomm SoCs to port from, it's extremely hard, there are a lot of code changes in low-level code which just make the device get into deep segfault cycles. :cyclops: Even Exynos is easier to port from, trust me. :D I got SGS3 leaked 4.2 booting on the O4X last autumn.

Big issue we have to note: In 4.2, Google radically changed graphics libraries code. We have old, 4.1.2 blobs and those need hacks in libgui.so and libsurfaceflinger.so to function properly (in 4.4+ libEGL.so, libGLES_v1_CM.so and libGLES_v2.so also need a change). Here comes the problem: Manufacturers do change these libraries, mainly adding Wi-Fi display and HDMI support code which other blobs rely on. Of course we can't just replace these libs, graphics wouldn't function that way. Either we have to guess those function signatures and reimplement some stub in the code, or use new blobs, i.e. what I did in Omni. ;) But y'all now those are not perfect _yet_. ;)

Regarding newer kernels: If, I emphasize, IF it's properly ported, it would cause a noticeable effect on overall performance, battery life, etc. What do I mean by proper porting: All machine-specific code must be updated to Nvidia/Google upstream, no excuses! I don't say anything for sure, I didn't check it much, but kholk didn't do this merge. His kernel still uses 3.1 files with slight modifications to be 3.4-compatible. What I mean would be a very long and painful process, but would surely benefit after all. 3.4 has no Android branch, mainline Nvidia Tegra kernel does only have Linux support, it might be even harder. 3.10 is maintained by Google for Android, issues I have found so far: No graphics driver support for T2 and T3, have to forward-port it and I didn't find core Android components like wakelocks, earlysuspend, etc. Weird.

A little related story: I initially started working on MultiROM so I can test and port different roms while I can keep a stable rom for myself and there'd be no need for reflash then. That's what I can suggest. Use MultiROM, it has so many capabilities! Maybe it's better with kernel sharing so you don't have to wait for hardboot on every reboot (which one needs a lot if porting). @MidnightDevil you could add this to the OP maybe. :D

Here you are! ;) Compiled this because wanted to start porting from Note 2, but finally worked on Omni more and abandoned it.

That's way too generic unfortunately.
Quick suggestion for you port: Use Note 2 base with Note 3 features. Note 2 has the same resolution and you won't need to resize.

Last edited by a moderator:

laufersteppenwolf

Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com

Lot of things to comment on here. :D Very good initiative I have to admit. I'm sure I'll have more ideas as the discussion evolves. :D
Similar hardware: You can add HOX+ as laufer said. Very minor differences are there only.
What I would personally prefer is TouchWiz, at least Nature UX 2.0, but new S5 UI is also really awesome. I liked Sense till 4.5, but 5.0+ versions are now out of my 'inner circles'. :D Especially what I don't like is the UI.
Few suggestions:
  • FlymeOS (from Meizu MX) - I got 2.0 booting last summer, but had touchkey issues (they were freezing the device lol) and never released it. Nobody ever booted 2.0+ on other Android devices yet. :D

Porting LG roms might be the best start, I think porting full Optimus G system wouldn't be that hard. Just a pain in the *ss merging process.
What we mainly need is same screen size (unless you wanna resizing 100+ apps :p). Similar SoC is a good extra, but that's very limited. Also, it's better to avoid Qualcomm SoCs to port from, it's extremely hard, there are a lot of code changes in low-level code which just make the device get into deep segfault cycles. :cyclops: Even Exynos is easier to port from, trust me. :D I got SGS3 leaked 4.2 booting on the O4X last autumn.

Big issue we have to note: In 4.2, Google radically changed graphics libraries code. We have old, 4.1.2 blobs and those need hacks in libgui.so and libsurfaceflinger.so to function properly (in 4.4+ libEGL.so, libGLES_v1_CM.so and libGLES_v2.so also need a change). Here comes the problem: Manufacturers do change these libraries, mainly adding Wi-Fi display and HDMI support code which other blobs rely on. Of course we can't just replace these libs, graphics wouldn't function that way. Either we have to guess those function signatures and reimplement some stub in the code, or use new blobs, i.e. what I did in Omni. ;) But y'all now those are not perfect _yet_. ;)

Regarding newer kernels: If, I emphasize, IF it's properly ported, it would cause a noticeable effect on overall performance, battery life, etc. What do I mean by proper porting: All machine-specific code must be updated to Nvidia/Google upstream, no excuses! I don't say anything for sure, I didn't check it much, but kholk didn't do this merge. His kernel still uses 3.1 files with slight modifications to be 3.4-compatible. What I mean would be a very long and painful process, but would surely benefit after all. 3.4 has no Android branch, mainline Nvidia Tegra kernel does only have Linux support, it might be even harder. 3.10 is maintained by Google for Android, issues I have found so far: No graphics driver support for T2 and T3, have to forward-port it and I didn't find core Android components like wakelocks, earlysuspend, etc. Weird.

A little related story: I initially started working on MultiROM so I can test and port different roms while I can keep a stable rom for myself and there'd be no need for reflash then. That's what I can suggest. Use MultiROM, it has so many capabilities! Maybe it's better with kernel sharing so you don't have to wait for hardboot on every reboot (which one needs a lot if porting). @MidnightDevil you could add this to the OP maybe. :D

Here you are! ;) Compiled this because wanted to start porting from Note 2, but finally worked on Omni more and abandoned it.

Quick suggestion for you port: Use Note 2 base with Note 3 features. Note 2 has the same resolution and you won't need to resize.
Dang, you've beaten me :D but mine's as fresh as it could be :p
HERE you guys go, for all who need the newest CM10.2 ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam77Root

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 3, 2012

Just don't delete the sources, you might need them in the close future. ;)

I think we should create a schedule about what to do. As you all know, good buildings all have good grounding. So let's get started from the very beginning I say. First fix remaining bugs in MultiROM, then create a unified kernel so users don't have to choose. Very likely this is not possible as people think different so just make all kernels hardboot compatible. After these we have a solid base for starting all the work. Of course this cannot be done if not everybody is involved. Both devs and users should share a part in this magnificent journey. :)

(High expectations, I know. :D)

Sent from my OmniROM-powered LG Optimus 4X HD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rom Port Team Effort

Hello P880 community.

This post has the purpose to put together a group of users / developers, who are willing to participate into bringing a different set of roms into our community.
    These set of roms that I'm thinking, can range from complete Sense ports to more customized and maybe less popular roms (like ColorOS, LiGux, FlymeOS, FluidUI, etc..).

What's valid on this thread:
    - CM / AOSP (any base we already have) themed (like Samsung TouchUI, Optimus, Blur, etc..). So you can grab any rom (with author authorization), theme it (i mean, not just shove an apk as default theme, I mean neat theming ;) ).
    - Ports from other devices (evert port needs to have clear authors permission to port it).
    - All users are very welcome, everyone can participate, users with porting / developing skills are needed as well.

The idea is simple, we're not going to use this thread to post the work, this is just a thread to talk about possible projects.
    We can start by listing which devices are hardware compatible and the port is "easily" possible.

Roms that can be used as a base for eventual future ports.

CM10.2 - thanks to laufersteppenwolf for compiling this build promptly for this purpose :)
    http://goo.im/devs/laufersteppenwolf/CM10.2//cm-10.2-20140305-UNOFFICIAL-p880.zip

- - - - -

I strongly recommend the use of MultiRom for testing ports and other roms. That way you can maintain your working rom and whenver feeling adventurous you can without going through the hassle of backup / restore / yada yada yada that we are all too familiar with.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2655988

- - List of Devices with hardware similar / close / identical to the 4X - -

- HTC One X
    - HTC One X +
    - More ??

- Possible roms to port:

Right now would be nice to see a OEM rom, such a touchwiz or Sense ;)

Work in Progress
    N/A available

(awaiting sugestions :)

So, what do you guys think? ? Any users with good porting skills ? I know we have good developers! :) Ideas? Sugestions?

Write away :)

A few guides from XDA - They may not be all you need to get the job done, but a LOT of important information is written here. Don't forget to thanks their authors :)

Guides / Tutorials

PS - Every work that is possible to port and if someone decides to invest time in it, it needs explicit authors permission.

Just don't delete the sources, you might need them in the close future. ;)

I think we should create a schedule about what to do. As you all know, good buildings all have good grounding. So let's get started from the very beginning I say. First fix remaining bugs in MultiROM, then create a unified kernel so users don't have to choose. Very likely this is not possible as people think different so just make all kernels hardboot compatible. After these we have a solid base for starting all the work. Of course this cannot be done if not everybody is involved. Both devs and users should share a part in this magnificent journey. :)

(High expectations, I know. :D)

Sent from my OmniROM-powered LG Optimus 4X HD
    As somebody might have heard, LG Optimus G Pro has received official KitKat update. I don't really want to ask if it can be ported, because I'm going to try, tomorrow once again.

Some interesting links for download:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2691967
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2691186
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688887

You should be carefull ROM is bigger than our 1.48 GB System Storage! It is around 2 GBs and this phone has FullHD screen.

Is it right if I take base as official CM and follow http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2245786 ? Then I have to resize apps, because they are FullHD, and much more...
    Few suggestions: