Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,543 Members 38,067 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped

Tip us?

Scubacruiser
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Unfortunately, Google Play services has stopped

This started a few days ago unexpectedly. I hadn't installed anything or made any changes. Whenever I start a Google app (like Hangouts) I get this message. I tap OK and then the app works. But the next time I start the same app, I get the message again.

I've tried clearing the cache for Google Play Services and Google Play Store. I tried Uninstall Updates for Google Play Store. Uninstall Updates is grayed out for Google Play Services though. Clear Data is grayed out for both.

Any ideas?

Scubacruiser
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Update

It appears to be only Hangouts and Gmail that cause the error message popup. I tried restoring a Titanium backup of Hangouts, but it was the same.

The only other thing I can think of is to restore a nandroid backup.

pitchdarkice
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubacruiser View Post
It appears to be only Hangouts and Gmail that cause the error message popup. I tried restoring a Titanium backup of Hangouts, but it was the same.

The only other thing I can think of is to restore a nandroid backup.

If you have TiBu have you considered backing it all up and doing a factory reset? Not sure if a restore would restore your previous problems as well though. However, maybe a selective restore from TiBu after a factory reset?

Scubacruiser
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchdarkice View Post
If you have TiBu have you considered backing it all up and doing a factory reset? Not sure if a restore would restore your previous problems as well though. However, maybe a selective restore from TiBu after a factory reset?
This is probably what I will try after trying the nandroid restore. The problem is time, I won't have time to mess with it until the weekend.