Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,042 Members 47,557 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

For Z1 Compact owners: any regrets?

Tip us?

maajstor
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Default For Z1 Compact owners: any regrets?

Where I come from there's a saying "every Gipsy praises his horse".
Having that in mind, I'm asking you, Xperia Z1 Compact owners, to reply here honestly, if you have any regrets and remorses for buying this phone.

It's a serious money for me, and I plan to have my next phone for at least next two years (I've had Motorola Atrix for three years), so please, serious answers only.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maajstor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Riyal
Old
Thanks Meter 1650

DONATE TO ME
I have regrets buying it at launch lol! In my country right now the phone had dropped it's price for like almost 1/4 already. Could have saved some money if only I had waited a week or so.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riyal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thermalboyz
Old
Thanks Meter 254
Honestly for the Specs and Size. Its a "YES" for me. I had HTC One X for 2 years but the thing I don't like is the Battery life. Was thinking about Nexus 5 or Moto X which has very similar specs but i go for the "size", "battery" and IP57.

Z1C last me average 2.5 Days with 4 hrs screen time. (For normal usage)

Regrets on Z1C was only the screen had ASF (Thin layer of film to prevent glass shutter) which easily get scratch. (Solution - Get a good screen protector, prefer a Glass with 9H)

Liking - Battery, Water Resistant, Power, SD Card Slot, Camera and a slick design.

Not talking about the software side but I read that Sony quite reliable on updating their software + Firmware. Currently on 4.3 and likely to get 4.4 kitkat (Hopefully the battery will get better then).

Hope this helps!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thermalboyz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

frason
Old
Thanks Meter 31
No regrets!
Current Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
Previous Phones: HTC One, iPhone 5 (32GB)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frason For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stevo_125
Old
(Last edited by stevo_125; 6th March 2014 at 09:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 48
I would not recommend buying a Z1c at the moment, not until it is seen if Sony bother to fix issues in the phone software. Unless you are happy to unlock + root, then go ahead.
The stock Sony software has so many quirks at the moment its driving me nuts!
  • calls answer to speaker phone sometimes
  • sound enhancements/ equalizer only works for walkman app
  • fast dormancy is broken, causes high battery drain
  • "superior auto" on the camera is a disaster in low light/ flash photo
  • Some intermittent weirdness with notifications and LED caused by stamina mode
  • volume randomly reducing itself and volume warning sporadically appearing
  • Some compatibility issues with 3rd party browsers
  • proximity sensor issue: 1-2 second delay in screen switching back on if it was switched off by proximity sensor. i.e when you make/receive a call, you have to wait to hang-up the call. minor inconvenience really.

And as already mentioned, the plastic ASF on front and back glass is very, very delicate. Leave the phone wrapped in cotton wool until you have protectors on front and back!

oh, and buy a dock or magnetic charging cable too, otherwise the USB flap comes loose (mine has after 3 weeks)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to stevo_125 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Darkimmortal
Old
Thanks Meter 177

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_125 View Post
I would not recommend buying a Z1c at the moment, not until it is seen if Sony bother to fix issues in the phone software. Unless you are happy to unlock + root, then go ahead.
The stock Sony software has so many quirks at the moment its driving me nuts!
  • calls answer to speaker phone sometimes
  • sound enhancements/ equalizer only works for walkman app
  • fast dormancy is broken, causes high battery drain
  • "superior auto" on the camera is a disaster in low light/ flash photo
  • Some intermittent weirdness with notifications and LED caused by stamina mode
  • volume randomly reducing itself and volume warning sporadically appearing
  • Some compatibility issues with 3rd party browsers
  • ???

And as already mentioned, the plastic ASF on front and back glass is very, very delicate. Leave the phone wrapped in cotton wool until you have protectors on front and back!

oh, and buy a dock or magnetic charging cable too, otherwise the USB flap comes loose (mine has after 3 weeks)
I've only experienced the walkman issue

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
  • Sony Xperia Z1 Compact D5503
  • Sony Xperia Tablet Z SGP311
  • Samsung Galaxy S i9000

maajstor
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_125 View Post
Thanks. Root + xposed is mandatory, unlock + custom ROM optional

Riyal
Old
Thanks Meter 1650

DONATE TO ME
  • calls answer to speaker phone sometimes <-- This is an issue with chrome browser not Xperia Z1 Compact.
  • sound enhancements/ equalizer only works for walkman app <-- Well the equalizer was polished for walkman. This is the same even on my HTC One except for beats audio at least.
  • fast dormancy is broken, causes high battery drain <-- It's not broken it's on by default unlike other devices which is off by default and just customized by network operators or depending on variant. Fast dormancy would really kill your battery if it's on and your network provider doesn't support it as it will keep on enforcing fast dormancy even if it's not available.
  • "superior auto" on the camera is a disaster in low light/ flash photo <-- Ok for a smartphone camera though... It's meant for average users for average results. Hence why manual mode is added. If superior auto was the best of everything then what would be the use of manual mode then.
  • Some intermittent weirdness with notifications and LED caused by stamina mode <-- Well stamina mode is stamina mode. It's doing its job. I would have been disappointed if it can't control system apps though... Android is all about customization. Would defeat the purpose if we can't control system apps here. If you want it to work with stamina mode then add it on the whitelist.
  • volume randomly reducing itself and volume warning sporadically appearing <-- Never encountered this yet.
  • Some compatibility issues with 3rd party browsers <-- Like? Been using Opera and firefox here since I disabled chrome because of the first issue you mentioned.
  • ???
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Riyal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gikey1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Another software bug needs to be fixed is 'proximity sensor issue'.

Funkym0nkey
Old
Thanks Meter 279
@Riyal the speakerphone big didn't go away by removing or freezing chrome here. It popped up again even after switching to boat browser.
But I have learnt to work around this by changing the way I swipe to unlock.

The real regret is camera. Nothing else. Everything else has solution so far. Camera is weirdo. Very inconsistent.
And no, that is not acceptable for today's high end smartphone camera. Nexus 5 trakes better and consistent photos indoors at the moment.using its tiny sensor. Sony should be ashamed of this.

From my Xperia Z1 Compact, in your face!
http://gadgetop.com
Current Phones in use
LG G3 Incoming
Huawei Ascend Mate2 LTE.
2x HTC One M8 Google Play Edition. Silver.
Motorola Moto X
iPhone 5S Space Grey
Recently Retired Devices : Nexus 5 32GB panther, Oppo Find 5, Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, Optimus G2 D800, Optimus G Pro E980, Galaxy Note 3, HTC ONE Dev Edition, Samsung Galaxy S4 (Octa), Google Nexus 4