Xoom tablet VS Other tablet discussion

Search This thread

romdroid.

Jul 27, 2010
Wait for the next Nexus 10 ;), the current one is great' but as you want to buy next year...

I downloaded Bubble UPnP on mine, even without the screen working, I plugged on HDMI, so I can watch many stuff there, also I'm thinking about formatting and loading it with only movies and videos, so it will be much better. So, it's now my media centre, as I can let it open on my bedroom and watch a video stored on it on my N10, while lunching.

I guess Google won't be your option, since Galaxy Nexus they don't support SD card anymore, and I guess there will be no 10" with 3g, because if the following: I have a S4 and a Nexus 10, I don't need 3g on both, just share 3g from S4 to my N10. But I know that it can be an issue to some people, as not all phones have WiFi Hotspot, however as things go they will all have IMO. Probably you can look for the next Asus Transformer ;).

"We think so supersonic and we make our bombs atomic" - Eagle Fly Free (Helloween)
Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I use a diffrenct sim card that has unlimited data connection for my tablet. For my phone I only have 1gb. Also with hotspot it drains a lot of battery

romdroid.

Jul 27, 2010
I was just to order nexus 10 but I couldn't live without the fact that it didn't have any 3g. I mean the 32GB version is also to expensive and 16gb is not enough. There is still no talet to date that can give u as much as the xoom gives. 32GB, 3g memory card slot etc..

Sent from my MZ601 using XDA Premium HD app

piratashitzu

Jan 13, 2011
RIO DE JANEIRO
I was just to order nexus 10 but I couldn't live without the fact that it didn't have any 3g. I mean the 32GB version is also to expensive and 16gb is not enough. There is still no talet to date that can give u as much as the xoom gives. 32GB, 3g memory card slot etc..

I have both Motorola Xoom and Samsung Note 10.1 (N8000), and I must to tell you N8000 is the best tablet I've ever used till now.
I have a 16GB version with a 64GB MicroSD Card. 3G is very good and the TouchWiz interface is smooth.
It made me give my XOOM to my little son ( 2 years) play virtual piano and watch cartoons with an OTTERBOX heavy duty case (KIDs proof).

Go for Note 10.1. You won't regret.

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas

I made a huge post on the last page comparing Nexus 10 to Xoom :p, IMO the 3G issue can be solved with phone WiFi hotspot and the lack of sdcard with OTG Cable. Actually I'm using my old Xoom as media server, so I plugged an external HD on it and use my S4 as hotspot, this way all the content I have on that HD and on Xoom itself can be seen on Nexus using Bubble UPnP app ;).

Anyway, here's the comparison:
Hey guys! Just want to add 2 cents here. As you can see on my Tapatalk sig, I got s Nexus 10, which is great, I know that Nexus and Xoom has more than 1 year difference, but I want to make a quick comparison between them. So...

First of all: why did I get a Nexus if I already had a Xoom? The answer is simple: my mom accidentally broke my Xoom screen, so now it's plugged on my TV only :p, so she bought me the Nexus to replace it.
Would I get the Nexus if that didn't happen? No. I really liked Xoom, and didn't think it was needed to replace, until that happened. Xoom is still a great device, I can't ever deny it! But we can see with the time passing that it's age is already showing, I don't think it's time to change now, probably those who want to change now won't make a good deal, next year it will already appear to be more outdated, so it's better then to change. The Nexus 10 is an excellent device, covers up Xoom in every single aspect, but one, which may still be a deal breaker for some, the lack of sdcard, which is already a common knowledge.

So, what can I say about comparing the two, as it's a "Xoom tablet VS Other tablet discussion"?
The screen of Nexus is much better, okay, it's newer than Xoom, but as Xoom was a prototype Android tablet (at least that's how I see GED devices), we see that it's screen isn't all that amazing. For some time ago it was the best you can find, but now it's becoming something not too polished.
Speed is a point that makes me interest in this comparison, my Nexus boots in 15-20 sec, and doesn't lag (even running Linux in background), also it can run amazing graphic games and full HD videos without any gag. IMO Xoom is still a blazing fast device! Even it taking 3-4x more to boot, can't okay full HD videos, etc. You can clearly see that it still has much power, Tegra 2 is outdated, but it can still run sine high end tegra-only games that show that Xoom still has some power behind it. I used to use Linux on Android on it as well, I wasn't able to have a full nice experience due to some lag, but it was completely usable.
The form of Nexus is amazing, the rubber back and the front speakers are very useful, while Xoom had a more premium feel for being aluminium made, the problem is that aluminium was easier to slip off your hand, I had no problems as I had a case, but it was not too easy, differently from Nexus which it gets almost glued to your hand lol. I also have a case for my Nexus and it is comfortable and great to carry, but in comparison to Xoom's portfolio what would I say? The Nexus case I got (poetic case) is great to carry, very comfortable and includes a magnetic Bluetooth keyboard, which is very useful for me (who writes stories), BUT it has only one point of view, while the Xoom portfolio case is great for that, it's lighter, slimmer and has 3 view points, the thing is, Xoom got a more media vised case, while the one I got for Nexus looks like a more professional case.
One thing that annoyed me on Nexus was charging the battery, Google/Samsung disappointed me when I discovered that it was charged via USB, it takes ages to charge and if I use while charging it doesn't charge and even maybe discharge lol, while as you may know, Xoom charges very fast and it keeps constant, also I can plug my external HD or play games with my PS3 controller, while charging, and Nexus can't do that, or you charge or you copy files.
The development section of Nexus is pretty good as well Xoom is, as both are development devices I can't say much, because the two has amazing developers working and a good sized community, it's true that Xoom is decreasing as people are now changing their tablets, but probably it will stagnate at a good size.
The Nexus has a 9000mAh battery, which is great, and even with the stunning 2560x1600 screen lasts good 10 hours :), Xoom has also a great battery stamina, I don't recall now the capacity, but it was great and lasted 8-10 hours as well :).

Conclusions:
The Nexus 10 is overall a device much better than Xoom, you get a better screen, better processor, etc. But it has some fails when compared to it's antecessor, like the lack of sdcard (and as I mentioned earlier it can be a deal breaker for some) and the charging. Also it costs much more than Xoom nowadays, so depending of the person it may influence the idea, as Xoom still covers much of the tablet needs. If you asked to me: is it worth to change Xoom now? I'd say: "Wait for the next Nexus, then we see, Xoom is still a great solid device, and still has potential, unless you broke it, hold with the device and change for the next Nexus of even the new Nexus for next year."

Wow... Huge post... He he, but that's it, a quick overview about a comparison of my two tablets, the old and the new. Xoom and Nexus 10 :). Hope you enjoyed :D.

"We think so supersonic and we make our bombs atomic" - Eagle Fly Free (Helloween)
Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

"This Story Ends Where It Began" - Octavarium (Dream Theater)
Sent from my Galaxy S4

Reactions: rubber guard

3devious

Nov 6, 2010
I keep the data plan on my XOOM because my mom loves it so much. I put that Verizon Messages app on it so she can text from her ancient flip phone. I really miss not having LTE anymore. Sure, I tether my Surface to my Galaxy Nexus but it's not the some. I also had faster data speeds on the XOOM than the Nexus.

If Microsoft puts out a Surface Pro with LTE, I'm even willing to switch carriers. The XOOM had me really spoiled when everything got working.

48dodge

Jan 24, 2012
Forgive me for I have sinned. I did end up getting a 2013 Nexus 7. After the latest update my gps issues seem to be working. I plan on keeping one xoom for myself. Also going to setup at least one of my others for the kids. May give them each one. The few times I picked the xoom up I can't get over how solid it feels.

sk4doosh

Sep 2, 2013

+1 on the Xoom's internal memory size and memory card slot. Most tablets these days don't come with external slots, just trying to make you use the the various cloud storage services that are available and keeping their manufacturing costs down.

logitechor

Sep 29, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 6
I love the Xoom and continue to use it. The developers continue to breathe life into it. I am running 4.3. I like the 10 inch screen. Personal choice I suppose.
Rooted unlocked and over clocked it is pretty fast. Not as fast as current tablets but fast for the average Xoom. The hardware on it is versatile - including the Sdcard Slot and the OTG USB and front and rear cameras. All of this is important. I love the Xoom despite it's age and not the most current features including the processor and display. Iam very glad I purchased.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

pkarza

Oct 30, 2010
Every time I think about getting a different tablet, a new rom appears. As a matter of fact, I had a nexus 7 and sold it... the xoom just felt better. The 4.4.2 rom just kept it in my hands again.

brewer75

Feb 15, 2013
Pickerington
Nexus 7
Motorola Xoom
Agreed

I fully agree with pkarza !

I bought my used Xoom wifi about a year ago, immediately rooted it and ran various CM 4.2' nightlies. I decided to take the leap of re-partitioning and installed the unofficial OmniRom Kit Kat 4.4.2 making sure I explicitly followed ALL the directions, procedures, and tweaks. This has brought renewed life to the device and I am so pleased that it works this well that at the present time I don't see any need to get anything else!

Last edited:

hotdog011

Mar 24, 2011
This Xoom is the little choo choo that could... with a little help from our dev community. I just wish it was fast enough to play 1080p without stuttering. Still love it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
This Xoom is the little choo choo that could... with a little help from our dev community. I just wish it was fast enough to play 1080p without stuttering. Still love it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Hi,

Sorry, but why would you want to run a 1080p video on a 1280x800 screen? I also wanted it do it, but then I noticed it'd be not worth. Also, the processor can't really handle it... Xoom is still my media server, it's sad that it can't play some mkv videos too. But it's still a great device! Only wished my one had the screen still working hahaha.

~Lord

"Time is too short to cry, long enough to try." - March of Time (Helloween)
Sent from my KitKat Nexus 10

TheOrangeRemix

Apr 26, 2012
XOOM is 4 years old and still running strong with 4.4.4. Works great for reading news, tweeting, messaging, and browsing web sites. I will never upgrade!

Kingsman1

Dec 27, 2013
Salt Lake City
XOOM is 4 years old and still running strong with 4.4.4. Works great for reading news, tweeting, messaging, and browsing web sites. I will never upgrade!

I'm running the Cyanogenmod Android 4.4.4 Rom 11-30-2014 with the latest standard Gapps. The Xoom is still running great. With a good internet connection it still works beautifully for almost all purposes. Though I wouldn't recommend it for the latest processor intensive gaming it works great to show movies from YouTube, Xfinity, Netflix, etcetera.

Been using mine now for nearly three years, and I love it. Last week when I went to teach my class, an 80" screen had been installed in the classroom. Hooked it up with my HDMI cable. Beautiful resolution.

I write, teach, use the Xoom as a display for my sheet music, coupled with a Cicada wireless page Turner, I'm able to play my keyboard effortlessly.

With a 128 gig external, this is still an amazing piece of machinery. I've had several other tablets break on me, die, or had the developer fail to upgrade their tablets. I believe that the developers with XDA are still working on bringing us Lollipop. I really am glad that they have been so faithful with this work.

At some point I will be retiring my Xoom for a tablet with faster processors, more Ram, 64 gigs of internal Rom, an external sdcard slot, larger screen, and pen (read Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 anyone?), but not yet. Even then this wonderful workhorse will either go to my wife, or to one of my grandchildren.

Blessings,

Rob

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am making this sticky thread to allow discussion of all other tablets and theie comparison to the Xoom. Feel free to discuss thoughts on upgrading, specs, and value of swapping. Please respect other members and their opinions. Flaming is against forum rules so again please be respectful.

Thanks
    FNM
    Again, like I already commented on Youtube, using the xoom in portrait mode to compare performances with a Tegra 3 device is totally useless ... The portrait mode on any Tegra 2 device is always a lot more laggy than the landscape mode because of an internal processor issue which is known and already discussed in many threads. Whatever the Android version, a Tegra 2 device will always be laggy in portrait mode. So to measure the Xoom performances you should do it in landscape mode, and I am very surprised you never noticed any differences between portrait and landscape mode on your Xoom...

That's because I never ever used it in portrait mode :)

Maybe I will do a part 3 tonight with both in their intended orientations, and the xoom will be oc'd at 1.6 to do it's best to catch up.

And people say it's not a fair comparison. I never said it was,I was showing what he xoom is capable of next to a latest and baddest device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    I have my Xoom MZ601 since February. I'm absolutely in love with it. I agree, it's little too heavy, especially for a girl. When I have it in my bag and I bend over, it tends to hit stuff around like a hammer, lol. But I wouldn't call it too heavy, unless you use it as an eReader. It could be a little lighter, though.
    So here are my observations:
    1. The frame is very tough. And I mean VERY! My Xoom got dropped from my mom's lap on the dirty and wet road on exiting the car on the second day I had it. One of its corners is hit and it's little bit deformed. I think it got dropped like 10 times already on different surfaces - it's perfectly fine so far. Ok, I never dropped it from big height, but I'm surprised it survived my ownership for so long. Note, I'm not just trashing it, since it was brand new and expensive at the time, it's just that I use it a lot, carry it around with me all the time and consequently, it tends to fall or hit stuff. Also it tends to get little wet, but I still have my upper protective sheet on, since I have keys and sharp stuff in my bag where it resides.
    2. The Android works awesome on it. I was with 3.1, recently it got updated to 4.0.4, everything works great. The 3G signal is very good, the only problem I had with it was Opera now always knowing there's available connection when on 3G, so sometimes I had to reload pages on Unlocking. The WiFi is awesome. I kind of thought there is some internal limit on the download speed, but with tTorrent, I managed to reach 3MB/s so obviously that assumption was wrong.
    3. The screen is very responsive, and everything starts swiftly.
    4. The touch-capability is also very good. I use it to make notes (among other stuff) and using a self-made stylos, I managed to write almost like on a notebook. The only problem is with the palms touching the screen, but with time one gets used to it. I have pages of notes (on SuperNote) and I'm very happy with them.
    5. It's a great tool for reading textbooks - pdf and djvu, but that's pretty obvious.
    6. Also, it has a quite good battery (well, I suppose it's worst than the Galaxy, but then, they have different displays). When not under super- heavy use, I charge it every two or three days. I was super surprised, when I first got it on a plane, that I could watch a movie during the whole flight (3 hours) and afterwards, I still had plenty of battery (I compare it with my netbook, which barely keeps on for the flight).
    7. It had quite powerful sound, movies also play normally, subtitles work fine, the HDMI cable does what it is supposed to do. The only setback on a non-rooted device is that the screen doesn't turn off when connected to the TV.
    8. Now that it is rooted, I love it even more, since I can use it almost as my computer.
    Negative sides:
    1. The software keyboard coming with the Android seriously sucks. I got it upgraded with a Bulgarian one and now the look is much better, the keys are smaller and everything looks a bit more natural.
    2. The Vol Up and Vol Down keys are too difficult for pressing, especially if you have to restart couple of times.
    3. There is no way to hard turn off the device while stuck on bootload loop, so the only way to shut it down is to wait for the battery to die.
    4. There is no USB-port. Ok, I know there are options, but seriously, USBs are so useful. Also, mine came without a MicroSD card.
    5. Absurdly expensive accessories. For example, I still don't have a physical keyboard and stuff. Never tried whether it would work with a normal blutooth keyboard, but I wish I had a small cute keyboard.
    6. The internal camera software sucks big time. Also, I miss the camera button.
    7. Also I don't like how it cannot charge when connected to the PC.
    8. I absolutely hate Google and their apps and obsession with monitoring everything. It's great that there are ways to avoid that.
    9. What I really don't like is how the warranty of a hardware device is connected with the software on it. This is deeply wrong, I think the policy with respect to tablets should be the same as with laptops - if it breaks under the warranty terms, they fix it, no matter what OS you decided to use.

Well, these are my thought on the Xoom. As a whole, I'm very positive about it, because it fits most of my expectations and needs. I'm sure there are better options, especially now, but when I was choosing it, there weren't so many and I think it was a great choice. I always wanted to have a Galaxy Tab, but the price was way too high at the time. But I'm quite happy with my Xoom!
    I too have been itching for an upgrade to my release day Xoom but once I loaded the JB ROM I realized what a waste of $200 the Nexus 7 would be. The Xoom on JB will satisfy me until the next version of Android which I will bet the Xoom will get though unofficially. It has been an up and down past year-and-a-half for the Xoom but one I don't regret and look forward to another year at least.
    Hey everyone,

Made this video to compare the 2., You can see the clear winner as far as 'butter' experience goes. I'm happy with both, but I thought I share :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiKGUPNd03M

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2