We are a group of 4 students at a master program in IS (Information Systems) at Linnaeus University in Sweden and we need to contact a person within the company, who works or has worked, in some manner, with the IS development (at least some parts of it) for a short (online) interview.
The interview concerns the ethical side of the profession and the answers can be send back through this email or we can schedule a new meeting if further information is needed.
Thank you in advance,
Andreas, Bahareh, Claudia and Fredrik
Please see attached the questions, the first part are general questions about your professions but this part is optional, the important questions are the ones in second part, about the ethical side of the profession.
I. (optional) Professional background, in terms of:
a. education and training profile
b. practical professional experience
c. the name of the specific role this person holds
d. the typical activities that this role conducts
e. the typical outcomes that this role generates
f. the purpose of these generated outcomes
g. the consumer / receiver of these outcomes
h. potential stakeholders (people that may have interest in IT, i.e. become affected in some manner) of these generated outcomes
II. The Interview:
Empirical Identification of Moral Challenges for IS Developer
1. Can you please tell us 2 - 4 different moral / ethical dilemmas (difficulties) that you or a colleague of yours have been exposed to during and in the context of your working experience
2. Can you please describe us how each of these dilemmas emerged, what type of people / stakeholders were involved, and what conflict / tension was present
Empirical Identification of Recommendations to the identified Moral Challenges
3. Can you please recommend us what action would be best to take in each of the given moral challenges, i.e. how to deal with them. And for the motivation / justification of the content of each of the recommendations (e.g. Moral Relativism, Ethical Utilitarianism, Deontological Theories - if you are familiar with ethics but simple answer is also ok).
Social contract (IS developer -- key stakeholders)
4. Can you please tell us what kind of ethical commitments you think that the IS Developer profession has to (a) its clients / the future users of the developed IS.
5. Can you please identify one or two IS clients and tell us about which expectations they have upon the ethical behavior of an IS Developer.
6. Can you please identify one or two IS users and tell us about which expectations they have upon the ethical behavior of an IS Developer.