Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,807 Members 53,157 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Soft brick? Hard brick? Sort of firm'ish brick really

Tip us?

Wrinklespots
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Soft brick? Hard brick? Sort of firm'ish brick really

I've made a bit of a mess and I need help please. My s4 is softbricked, but as softbricks go, it's rather hard.

I have an early S4 i9505 bought from Carphone Warehouse (UK, unlocked, pre knox). I rooted it, installed TBackup, greenify and got it how I wanted it. Then I downloaded a stock firmware from Sammobile and tested to see if I could get it back to 'warranty' condition, which was a success.
Confident that I could obtain warranty if I needed it, I re-rooted it, installed TB and greenify, and it ran sweetly for months from that point onwards.
I read about the arrival of updates (and knox) and concluded I didn't need them. It was working, leave it alone.

Then out of the blue, my nice stable machine broke. I didn't change anything I was aware of to cause it.
No normal boot.
No recovery.
Download only.

Using Odin, I tried allsorts, eventually getting the same Sammobile firmware to run.
2 days later, it broke again, same as before, but worse!?

Then I tried all sorts of stuff downloading no end of things trying to get it to boot or even go into recovery. The most promising approach was to reload the firmware along with a .pit file, but still no joy. I've lost track of the other things I tried, but I've been doing it for a week, so a lot has been done. In desperation, I even tried downloading the latest firmware, so I now have signs of knox of the odin page.

I now have the following symptoms:
Booting into recovery brings up the blue 'booting recovery' message then just blackness.
Normal boot is exactly the same as above.
Unpowered conection to my laptop gives a 5 second boot loop featuring the buzz only.
I can reliably boot into download and download stuff with Odin and change the little Odin page status messages. After (foolishly) trying the latest firmware, these messages say
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME GT-I9505
CURRENT BINARY Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS Official
KNOX KERNEL LOCK 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID 0x0
CSB-CONFIG-LSB 0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: enable
eMMC BURST MODE enabled

Please can anyone give me some advice on what else I could try?

Thanks

Steve

spamtrash
Old
Thanks Meter 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinklespots View Post
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME GT-I9505
CURRENT BINARY Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS Official
KNOX KERNEL LOCK 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID 0x0
CSB-CONFIG-LSB 0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: enable
eMMC BURST MODE enabled

Please can anyone give me some advice on what else I could try?

Thanks

Steve
If anything else is not working (especially, if you're unable to go to recovery) I'd call sammy service center. Your download mode says that you did not rooted your phone, and knox is untouched either.
HTC HD2 (still alive and kicking), I9000, I9300, I9505
The Following User Says Thank You to spamtrash For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wrinklespots
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamtrash View Post
If anything else is not working (especially, if you're unable to go to recovery) I'd call sammy service center. Your download mode says that you did not rooted your phone, and knox is untouched either.
Thanks for looking spamtrash.

I was wondering if I could get away with that. It does look good from the Odin display, but the flash counter must have a pretty high number in it by now! Won't that show up somewhere?

Do you think it does actually have a fault on it, rather than just some software that's messed up and needs tweaking?

Thanks

Steve

spamtrash
Old
Thanks Meter 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinklespots View Post
Thanks for looking spamtrash.

I was wondering if I could get away with that. It does look good from the Odin display, but the flash counter must have a pretty high number in it by now! Won't that show up somewhere?

Do you think it does actually have a fault on it, rather than just some software that's messed up and needs tweaking?

Thanks

Steve
1. Are you able to go to recovery mode?
2. Assuming that your previous communicates were taken from the screen in download mode - you're clean.

If answer for 1 is: NO, and assuming 2: do not bother the flash counter. Flash counter does not means you messed with custom ROMs, it just means amount of the ROM update tries. As they are unable to prove that the counter was not increased by failed KIES updates, you're safe.
To go deeper, service will have to flash and wipe your phone.
One thing: remove your sd card prior to giving/sending it out.
HTC HD2 (still alive and kicking), I9000, I9300, I9505

theunderling
Old
Thanks Meter 749

DONATE TO ME
Try a different usb cable.I was in same boat as you (after stupidly thinking mobile odin pro liked modems).
Luckily I had an unused cable off my tab 3.