Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,684 Members 48,142 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooting Note 3 Advice

Tip us?

XLAAX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Rooting Note 3 Advice

Hi,

I just recieved my Note 3 this morning , but have a few questions about rooting on it...
Not sure what information is required, but my phone is on Android 4.3 and its a SM-N9005.

I don't really have any plans about installing custom roms as such, but I do want it to be rooted and I want to stick to official samsung firmware. (At least for now, it may change in the long term future). I'm wanting to update to KitKat too (When its available in the UK anyway, doesn't seem to be out here yet anyway)

I'm pretty scared about this Knox flag I'm hearing about too... Not so sure about it, but I hear its essentially makes your warranty void, which I don't want this early in.

Anyone have any advice for me based on this?

Thanks

Rosli59564
Old
Thanks Meter 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLAAX View Post
Hi,

I just recieved my Note 3 this morning , but have a few questions about rooting on it...
Not sure what information is required, but my phone is on Android 4.3 and its a SM-N9005.

I don't really have any plans about installing custom roms as such, but I do want it to be rooted and I want to stick to official samsung firmware. (At least for now, it may change in the long term future). I'm wanting to update to KitKat too (When its available in the UK anyway, doesn't seem to be out here yet anyway)

I'm pretty scared about this Knox flag I'm hearing about too... Not so sure about it, but I hear its essentially makes your warranty void, which I don't want this early in.

Anyone have any advice for me based on this?

Thanks
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2498850

XLAAX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosli59564 View Post
Ah thanks for that. Was reading up on it but couldn't see something as detailed as this.

I'm guessing its saying I can't root without tripping the Knox yet... which is a bummer...

My Baseband ends in MJ7

My build number ends in MK2

Does this mean I can't root at all without tripping the knox yet?

If so is there any sort of...development in this area?

FeralFire
Old
Thanks Meter 208
Quote:

No and no.

If you are worried about knox, then don't root, yet.
But as far as I know, under European laws, Samsung cannot refute warranty even if your knox is tripped.
Read around. Or ask other people from Europe about this. @radicalisto
The Following User Says Thank You to FeralFire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1,409

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Ah thanks for that. Was reading up on it but couldn't see something as detailed as this.

I'm guessing its saying I can't root without tripping the Knox yet... which is a bummer...

My Baseband ends in MJ7

My build number ends in MK2

Fraid not, only way you can root is by tripping KNOX. Now the way Europe handles KNOX warranty is a massive grey area, if you encounter Hardware issues it'll probably get fixed, but don't take that as solid.

My advice, stick with stock for 2-4 weeks, see if you have any HW issues, if not go ahead and trip it only if you want root and/or custom ROMs.

Do a ton of reading in the couple of weeks while you're waiting and look at the issues and risks
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)