Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,645 Members 38,546 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Best Step by Step tutorial for app development

Tip us?

rulerofthehell
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Best Step by Step tutorial for app development

Hey guys! I'm new to app development world, I have a good amount of knowledge of c/c++ and learning java right now (I'm an engineering student), and totally interested in making my own app for android, I have made some basic apps, but it would be a real help if I get a good tutorial for bigger apps and also a tutorial for 2-D gaming on this platform for now....thanks in advanced!

EmptinessFiller
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I just recommend you to visit http://d.android.com/training it'll introduce you in all the basics and advanced techniques.

rulerofthehell
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Not this buddy....I want a bit simpler tutorial....that one is too vast, I want a tutorial that specifically teaches for one particular type of app, example: making a 2-D game, or building a browser, or a messaging app, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

deanwray
Old
Thanks Meter 417

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofthehell View Post
Not this buddy....I want a bit simpler tutorial....that one is too vast, I want a tutorial that specifically teaches for one particular type of app, example: making a 2-D game, or building a browser, or a messaging app, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
I think those topics are a collection of hundreds of patterns, knowledge, implementation and understanding, so better to start simple rather than ....well.... as the saying goes...learn to walk first before you try and pilot a space shuttle

Just a suggestion

Note : there maybe dvd sets that show what you ask, but I would suspect it would be months if not years of learning for a nice grounding in what you will need.

rulerofthehell
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default I know basic bro....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwray View Post
I think those topics are a collection of hundreds of patterns, knowledge, implementation and understanding, so better to start simple rather than ....well.... as the saying goes...learn to walk first before you try and pilot a space shuttle

Just a suggestion

Note : there maybe dvd sets that show what you ask, but I would suspect it would be months if not years of learning for a nice grounding in what you will need.
I just said I made a few basic apps, I don't wanna sound rude but I have learned to "walk" , just needs a few directions before I start to fly.

deanwray
Old
(Last edited by deanwray; 27th February 2014 at 03:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 417

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I just said I made a few basic apps, I don't wanna sound rude but I have learned to "walk" , just needs a few directions before I start to fly.
Sorry was speed reading to just try and offer help... as I said there are lots of resources, but for something like a game, you have mass resources based on the tech/engine you choose (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ne-for-android)... if you choose one of the popular ones there are tonnes of resource. As for building an app, it's just a little ambiguous. A screen that displays a black view fullscreen is an app. I think it's best to evaluate the market see whats missing or can be improved upon and start that way.

BTW I was confused on you saying you wanted simpler than d.android.com/training (which is like the starting point from zero) But I think I get what your asking now
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deanwray For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rulerofthehell
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default That helps a lot thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwray View Post
if you choose one of the popular ones there are tonnes of resource. As for building an app, it's just a little ambiguous. A screen that displays a black view fullscreen is an app. I think it's best to evaluate the market see whats missing or can be improved upon and start that way.

BTW I was confused on you saying you wanted simpler than d.android.com/training (which is like the starting point from zero) But I think I get what your asking now
Thanks man! That helps a lot and if I may ask for more then are there any tutorials for simple multiplayer games....I know I have to set up a server to which a user can connect to,but I don't exactly know how to do that...so a tutorial on it would help
Also tutorials on multiplayer games via Bluetooth connection would be nice

deanwray
Old
Thanks Meter 417

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks man! That helps a lot and if I may ask for more then are there any tutorials for simple multiplayer games....I know I have to set up a server to which a user can connect to,but I don't exactly know how to do that...so a tutorial on it would help
Also tutorials on multiplayer games via Bluetooth connection would be nice
that I cant help with and would be on par with you in having to google, if I were to speculate then I would assume that lots of the core elements like profile linking, indents, scores/stats and states are/can be handled by the new google play services game stuff... but just have a read on google/android site, cause I would say yes to having a server for MMO games but no if it's either 1 to 1 or not realtime.

btw not many do bluetooth these days, wifi network or wifi direct for local games
The Following User Says Thank You to deanwray For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

qbait
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I highly recommend "android bootcamp series" (sorry I can't add link, so please write it in google).
This screencasts explain all building blocks in Android in easy way
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qbait For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jawomo
Old
Thanks Meter 646
Check vogella.com, you'll find a bunch of examples. Really helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jawomo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]