XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Problem with File transfers to SD Card

Tip us?

deathdreams
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonsd View Post
I was expecting a lot more reports once the tablet launched in the US but haven't seen too many so far.

It's a real pain but I can live with it. I'm waiting it out for firmware fix for now, but if that doesn't come then it's going back. There is time yet and I love the screen size too much to let it go...

Let us know how you get on with the replacement.
Same issue with replacement and replacement card... Can not transfer files using WiFi to SD card... Can transfer to device then copy to SD card, hook up usb cable and transfer to SD card or transfer through a card reader... hopefully Samsung will get on this quick like... lol ya that made me laugh too

ArmyWifeSarah
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Exactly the same problem here with mine (UK). Hopefully Samsung will hop on it asap. Glad I don't just have a duff Note. Thanks!

Tension113
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Is this just a problem with the UK version? I think I read somewhere the US version was coming shipped with an update that the UK version would soon be getting?.. If it makes anyone feel better, my US model has no problems at all syncing to the external over wifi..

The only problem I did run into was the changes of writing to the external sd with 4.4 Normally I would just make a folder anywhere on the external and sync my comics to it in the past.. but now, I had to copy my reader app to the external and then make the folder within that one in order to copy my books to it..

bitpushr
Old
XDA:Administrator
Thanks Meter 1062
It looks like this is a widespread issue caused by Android 4.4. Since Samsung is running KitKat on these out of the gate, it seems to be a pretty widespread issue. From https://plus.google.com/+TodLiebeck/posts/gjnmuaDM8sn:

Quote:
KitKat will make your SD Card completely useless: per the Android API specification, apps can no longer write files to your SD card. And Samsung is following it.

This only applies to dual-storage devices, i.e., devices with a user-writable internal flash storage AND a removable SD card.

From http://source.android.com/devices/te...ge/index.html:

"The WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission must only grant write access to the primary external storage on a device. Apps must not be allowed to write to secondary external storage devices, except in their package-specific directories as allowed by synthesized permissions."

If your device has user-accessible internal flash storage, your SD Card is a "secondary external storage device".

What this means is that with KitKat, applications will no longer be able create, modify, or remove files and folders on your external SD card. As a for-instance, you can no longer use a file manager to copy files from your computer to the SD card over a network. This ability, which has existed since the beginning of Android, has been taken away.

The only stated reason for this removal of functionality is that, "Restricting writes in this way ensures the system can clean up files when applications are uninstalled." I do not pretend to understand this logic. Apps are still allowed to write in arbitrary directories on the primary storage (with the appropriate permission), but are denied the same access to external storage.

Samsung has implemented this feature with their KitKat OTA updates. Note3 users are now complaining that FX File Explorer can no longer write to their external SD cards. There are solutions to this problem for users with root access. Users without root access appear to be screwed.

I'm not quite certain how Google intends for you to place files on your SD card. Perhaps you have to use proprietary Google apps that contain permissions unavailable to the rest of the developer world. Perhaps you're supposed to put everything on the cloud and pay carrier data fees to get it there. Perhaps you're supposed to use some kind of WIRE to attach your WIRELESS device to your computer and have the computer do that work for you.

In my opinion this is a horrible misstep by Google and the Android Open Source Project. Functionality has been removed without reason, to the severe detriment of users and developers alike.

I apologize for not bringing this to everyone's attention when KitKat 4.4 was released, but it was not mentioned in the Android 4.4 changes document: http://developer.android.com/about/v...droid-4.4.html. It's only mentioned in the article on source.android.com. I was only made aware of its existence from user reports as a result of Samsung implementing this change in its KitKat OTA updates.
Now, there is a fix for this, but you need a rooted device.
Current Phone: Nexus 5 (4.4.1) | Oppo Find 5 (Omni)

Past Phones: Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy SIII i9300, HTC One X, Galaxy Note, iPhone 4S, 4, 3G, 3 (Jailbroken), Motorola V360, HTC TyTN
Past Tablets/Devices: Arnova 10G2, Asus EEEPC 900a, IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads
The Following User Says Thank You to bitpushr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dt33
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Can it be that this is the culprit:
KitKat will make your SD Card completely useless:

https://plus.google.com/+TodLiebeck/posts/gjnmuaDM8sn

Heppieboeddah
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpushr View Post
It looks like this is a widespread issue caused by Android 4.4. Since Samsung is running KitKat on these out of the gate, it seems to be a pretty widespread issue. From https://plus.google.com/+TodLiebeck/posts/gjnmuaDM8sn:

Tried this on my GalaxyNote Pro, and the fix for the N9005 as described is working . Titanium backups and Appmonster backups are now stored on the ExtSDcard.

Android.Ninja
Old
(Last edited by Android.Ninja; 1st March 2014 at 01:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpushr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateenf View Post
Hello All,

Since kitkat 4.4.2 was released on the Galaxy Note 3, many users were unable to write files to the External SD Card. Below is a simple fix for rooted users on the Galaxy Note 3 N9005 ( International Snapdragon Variant).

**Please be advised that I have only tested this on my personal N9005. However, you are free to test it on your own devices at your own risk!! **

1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions
2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...
4. Save the changes to the file.
5. Restart.

Attached is a copy of my platform.xml.

I have tested and can confirm following these directions to the letter on a rooted device, does solve the problem on the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - SM-P900. I'm now able to write & save to my Sandisk 64gb HS SD card without any problems at all!

Developers don't need no stinkin' signature!
If I've been able to help you, please hit the "Thanks" button.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android.Ninja For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lordjish
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android.Ninja View Post
I have tested and can confirm following these directions to the letter on a rooted device, does solve the problem on the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - SM-P900. I'm now able to write & save to my Sandisk 64gb HS SD card without any problems at all!

Working for me as well!
T-Mobile Note 3 running Wicked KK v1

Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Scott's Rom v1
The Following User Says Thank You to Lordjish For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Duly.noted
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android.Ninja View Post

Is not working for me. Lost ability to see my sd card and all apps where failing. ALOT!! Not exactly sure what the issue was. I had to reflash using odin twice to fix the issue. Also before reflashing it seems I lost the ability to write to either sd card. Internal or external.

Duly.noted
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Got it to work o the second try. Make sure the format is exactly the same when you add the new line or things go crazy

Sent from my SM-P900 using XDA Premium HD app

The Following User Says Thank You to Duly.noted For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]