Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] What is LG IMS (com.lge.ims)?

OP LTunez

6th March 2014, 05:04 AM   |  #1  
LTunez's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
122 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
LG IMS (com.lge.ims)

Wondering if anybody knows what this service is and if it's safe to permanently freeze...? I've searched all the "bloat/de-bloat" lists, and found it listed by one user only (a Google search didn't provide much info on this process/service either).

I use "Greenify" and in the "Scheduled running" list of Greenify LG IMS (com.lge.ims) shows "runs" and "wakeups". It's not a huge offender when it comes wakeups, but if this is a non-essential service, then I'd be interested in freezing it permanently.

I noticed that when LG IMS is frozen the "Data/LTE" indicator in the status bar disappears when connected to Wi-Fi, and re-appears when Wi-Fi is turned off. Both connection types (Wi-Fi and LTE) seems to work just fine when LG IMS is frozen, but without knowing anything about this service, I'm hesitant to leave it frozen.

Any ideas what LG IMS (com.lge.ims) is/does?

Thanks!
6th March 2014, 05:13 AM   |  #2  
XxZombiePikachu's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,495
 
2,538 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
http://www.gizmag.com/lg-voice-to-vi...version/21643/ this may be what that service does

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app
6th March 2014, 05:39 AM   |  #3  
LTunez's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
122 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxZombiePikachu

http://www.gizmag.com/lg-voice-to-vi...version/21643/ this may be what that service does

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

Thanks for the response!

Seems entirely possible, but I wonder why, when connected to Wi-Fi, the LTE indicator disappears from the status bar with this service frozen. Sure do like the reduced clutter of the status bar, so if nothing else is affected, then I'm a happy camper.
28th July 2014, 05:42 AM   |  #4  
THEbigSWEEN's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 242
 
452 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTunez

Thanks for the response!

Seems entirely possible, but I wonder why, when connected to Wi-Fi, the LTE indicator disappears from the status bar with this service frozen. Sure do like the reduced clutter of the status bar, so if nothing else is affected, then I'm a happy camper.

I know this was from a while ago, but just got a G3 recently and com.lge.ims is constantly waking the device (something to the tune of 3.4 times a minute...) Did you ever notice any ill effects from freezing this other than the data icon disappearing when on wifi? If not this will most certainly be frozen!
28th July 2014, 05:48 AM   |  #5  
LTunez's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 60
 
122 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEbigSWEEN

I know this was from a while ago, but just got a G3 recently and com.lge.ims is constantly waking the device (something to the tune of 3.4 times a minute...) Did you ever notice any ill effects from freezing this other than the data icon disappearing when on wifi? If not this will most certainly be frozen!

I've had it frozen ever since the earlier post with no I'll effects at all.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to LTunez For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2014, 05:54 AM   |  #6  
THEbigSWEEN's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 242
 
452 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTunez

I've had it frozen ever since the earlier post with no I'll effects at all.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Free mobile app

Awesome thank you! Since we don't have a custom recovery to make a back-up yet and I already had to factory restore once from a build.prop edit that the phone did not like I've been trying to be cautious about freezing/removing stuff I was unsure of. Again thanks for the quick response!
The Following User Says Thank You to THEbigSWEEN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2014, 09:18 AM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
25 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
IMS and VoLTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxZombiePikachu

http://www.gizmag.com/lg-voice-to-vi...version/21643/ this may be what that service does

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

Hi, just decided to contribute my 5 cents. IMS stands for IP Multimedia Subsystem. It defines how to deliver voice and multimedia services over IP broadband (fixed or wireless) infrastructure. What has been described in the article is something called Voice over LTE or VoLTE. Its a service for delivering voice over LTE technology unlike commonly used today fallback to 3G network for voice services.
VoLTE is deployed in number of South Korean networks and it's going to be the next global standard for delivering voice and video services.
Best Regards
Dmitry
The Following User Says Thank You to eoidfil For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2014, 04:31 PM   |  #8  
Mistertac's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 2,097
 
3,956 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEbigSWEEN

Awesome thank you! Since we don't have a custom recovery to make a back-up yet and I already had to factory restore once from a build.prop edit that the phone did not like I've been trying to be cautious about freezing/removing stuff I was unsure of. Again thanks for the quick response!

I've been looking at that process for a while now myself and like you stated its very active in keeping the phone awake. I've been very hesitant to freeze it to since it's name seems it could be very important.

Did you end up freezing it and if so is everything still working like normal as far as you can tell??

- Sent From My G3
28th July 2014, 06:47 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 84
 
970 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
More
This is for the wifi calling feature.

If you do not use wifi calling, then it is safe to freeze.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sfkn2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2014, 10:27 PM   |  #10  
THEbigSWEEN's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 242
 
452 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoidfil

Hi, just decided to contribute my 5 cents. IMS stands for IP Multimedia Subsystem. It defines how to deliver voice and multimedia services over IP broadband (fixed or wireless) infrastructure. What has been described in the article is something called Voice over LTE or VoLTE. Its a service for delivering voice over LTE technology unlike commonly used today fallback to 3G network for voice services.
VoLTE is deployed in number of South Korean networks and it's going to be the next global standard for delivering voice and video services.
Best Regards
Dmitry

Thanks for the input! I had looked at that article when I first saw this thread and it made me feel better about freezing it, then when I got the response that there hadn't been any side effects that was the deciding factor. Nothing that I use so no point in it draining my battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac

I've been looking at that process for a while now myself and like you stated its very active in keeping the phone awake. I've been very hesitant to freeze it to since it's name seems it could be very important.

Did you end up freezing it and if so is everything still working like normal as far as you can tell??

- Sent From My G3

After receiving the response from LTunez I froze it before I went to bed and have had it frozen all day with nothing wrong that I can tell. Phone works, texts, and battery life did seem to improve. In BBStats it's still showing as waking the device in alarms though (but not quite as much as it was before) so might need to disable the receivers as well using Autorun Manager or ROM Toolbox. I was actually going to mention this in your battery life thread that I had frozen it since we had talked about it before lol
Last edited by THEbigSWEEN; 28th July 2014 at 10:29 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to THEbigSWEEN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes