Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 44,152 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Virus shipped on Bauhn smartphones & tablets?

Tip us?

Glen_J
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Virus shipped on Bauhn smartphones & tablets?

I have recently come across an app(smsREG) on my Bauhn ASP-4500Z smartphone and HDC-08 tablet and believe it is pre-installed on the devices when sold. Everything I have read on the web state it is a virus/malware. It is even present in an updated rom available for the tablet from the importers(TempoAustralia) web site.

Can someone with either/both of these devices confirm that it is present on their units as well, or any of the other Bauhn models. The importer is refusing to even confirm it is present and have stopped replying to my enquiries.

I am unable to uninstall the app nor is AVG able to remove it.

Does anyone have any experience with this 'smsREG'?

Glen_J
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
This phone is sold by Tempo Australia via Aldi supermarkets here in Australia, maybe in other countries as well.

I have spoken with Tempo today who stated that the SMSREG app is a system app that is indeed pre-installed as part of the Android firmware/rom by the manufacturer and it is required for sending SMS messages and is not a virus/malware. I asked them to put that in an email to me but all I got was a statement saying

Hi,

I have been advised by that SMSREG is a system app that allows the phone/tablet to send SMS on the various carrier networks.

Thank you

Isn't that the malitious purpose of the virus in the first place? It seems they have deleted who they were advised by, can't go dobbing themselves in now can they!

Does anyone know if SMSREG is a legitimate system app at all, It is not present on any of the other Android phones of other brands I have checked and ALL I have read on the net have stated it to be a virus/malware, I am yet to see anyone say it is legitimate.