Trying to install Cyanogenmod

Search This thread

BLD_007

Mar 5, 2014
Hello,

I just got my Verizon Note 3 a few weeks ago. I am trying to install Cyanogenmod and I'm having problems.

I rooted my phone and I currently have Android version 4.3 and my build number is MJE.

When I go to flash a new recovery so I can get into the bootloader my phone resets and I get this message "System software not authorized by Verizon wireless has been found on your phone. please go to the nearest Verizon wireless store for help"

What can I do? I have tried this several times. I am pissed because I own my phone/compute "my phone is a computer" and I want to do what ever I want with it. The whole point why I jumped from the iPhone was I wanted the freedom of doing what ever I want with my android device.

Help please,

Thanks!

Brandonrz

Apr 20, 2011
Reno
Hello,

I just got my Verizon Note 3 a few weeks ago. I am trying to install Cyanogenmod and I'm having problems.

I rooted my phone and I currently have Android version 4.3 and my build number is MJE.

When I go to flash a new recovery so I can get into the bootloader my phone resets and I get this message "System software not authorized by Verizon wireless has been found on your phone. please go to the nearest Verizon wireless store for help"

What can I do? I have tried this several times. I am pissed because I own my phone/compute "my phone is a computer" and I want to do what ever I want with it. The whole point why I jumped from the iPhone was I wanted the freedom of doing what ever I want with my android device.

Help please,

Thanks!

"Ha freedom"
-Verizon Wireless

They don't care about thier customers, they have your money.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: XzxBATTxzX

gmony01

Apr 25, 2010
Hello,

Help please,

Thanks!

Unless you have the Dev Edition Note 3, you cannot flash a custom recovery and bootloader to retail Verizon Note 3. You have to do some research before you flash in Android world. You can try Odin with MJE image and that get you back. FYI you might have tripped knox.

Reactions: TheLoonyRebel

BLD_007

Mar 5, 2014
Unless you have the Dev Edition Note 3, you cannot flash a custom recovery and bootloader to retail Verizon Note 3. You have to do some research before you flash in Android world. You can try Odin with MJE image and that get you back. FYI you might have tripped knox.

So with my Verizon Note 3 there is no way to load a custom ROM? I'm stuck with retail software? I already have MJE loaded on my phone. MJE was already there when I bought it.

cam30era

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Columbus, Indiana
So with my Verizon Note 3 there is no way to load a custom ROM? I'm stuck with retail software? I already have MJE loaded on my phone. MJE was already there when I bought it.

You first need to flash SafeStrap. Find it in the Android Development section. Then you can flash any of the TouchWiz based custom ROMs that you see there. Only thing you can't do is flash a custom recovery, and a custom kernel (hence you can not flash CM11).

BLD_007

Mar 5, 2014
How are you sending message to forum from you phone via Tapatalk from your Note 3 if its not working?

I have no idea what you are talking about. I started my post from my computer. Just because I am having problems does not mean my phone is bricked. I am replying with my phone now.

M

mdorrett

@bld you will need to Odin back to stock and then reroot. After rerooting you will need to install SafeStrap. It is based on TWRP and keeps your stock system safe while you flash away in other slots that you created. Unfortunately you are restricted to MJE based TW ROMs. Cannot flash CM11 via SS. There are a bunch of posts about how to recover and install SS. Hope this helps you out some.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

BLD_007

Mar 5, 2014
Ok, let me make sure I understand all of this correctly...

Because I have the Verizon version of the Note 3 I can NOT install cyanogenmod even though Verizon is listed

The main reason for getting a custom OS is this. I HATE bloatware that I can't uninstall. I HATE how Verizon is blocking google wallet. I really want to use google wallet but I can't because Verizon wants you to use ISIS and that means signing up for their debit card. Google wallet lets you use any card but ISIS requires you to use theirs.

Thank you for the help guys...

M

mdorrett

Ok, let me make sure I understand all of this correctly...

Because I have the Verizon version of the Note 3 I can NOT install cyanogenmod even though Verizon is listed

The main reason for getting a custom OS is this. I HATE bloatware that I can't uninstall. I HATE how Verizon is blocking google wallet. I really want to use google wallet but I can't because Verizon wants you to use ISIS and that means signing up for their debit card. Google wallet lets you use any card but ISIS requires you to use theirs.

Thank you for the help guys...

Yes you would need the VZW Dev version. I have Google wallet installed and working as well as Isis.

M

mdorrett

I installed it on 4.3 and yes on the inside battery cover it will say developers edition. But unless you bought directly from Sammy unlikely you will receive a dev edition. When I did an exchange on my Note 2 back in the day I manage to get a Dev edition as a repacement. Not sure if they were supposed to send it or was just lucky. Also I believe the Dev edition note 3 runs a different base and kernel version.

BLD_007

Mar 5, 2014
I installed it on 4.3 and yes on the inside battery cover it will say developers edition. But unless you bought directly from Sammy unlikely you will receive a dev edition. When I did an exchange on my Note 2 back in the day I manage to get a Dev edition as a repacement. Not sure if they were supposed to send it or was just lucky. Also I believe the Dev edition note 3 runs a different base and kernel version.

Thank you for the help!

Just to make sure you have CyanogenMod installed on your Verizon Note 3 Dev version and Google Wallet tap and pay works?

I'm just trying to clear everything thing up before I ask for a replacement... When I go for the replacement how do I get the Dev version? Do I ask the person to check the battery compartment or do I have to order it from Samsung?

If it helps, I bought my just a few weeks ago at a Bestbuy...

BLD_007

Mar 5, 2014
Here give this a try and ket me know if it works for you. https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bramxrx353f80n/com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel-2.apk

I'm sorry, what is this? Do I flash this? The file not dropbox.. I know what dropbox is.

Thank you for the help. I am just very pissed off at Verizon. I want to use my phone the way I want to. I jailbroke my iPhones because I want freedom. I went to android for the reason that it was open and free. I am pissed that Verizon has it locked down tight.

Last edited:

cam30era

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Columbus, Indiana
I'm just trying to clear everything thing up before I ask for a replacement... When I go for the replacement how do I get the Dev version? Do I ask the person to check the battery compartment or do I have to order it from Samsung?

You can only buy a new Developer Edition directly from Samsung($700). However, they are on backorder, and only become available infrequently. Or keep an eye on eBay and Swappa.com(about $750 typically). They will show up there, once in a while.

TechSavvy2

Sep 26, 2011
Thank you for the help!

Just to make sure you have CyanogenMod installed on your Verizon Note 3 Dev version and Google Wallet tap and pay works?

Ask for a replacement? What in the world are you speaking of? No replacement will be Dev Edition, unless you have a fluke occurance like the other person did (which won't happen). You WILL get laughed at asking for a Dev Edition (and/or they won't even know what the hell you're talking about). You HAVE to buy Dev Edition directly from Samsung, or one privately from a person who bought it from Samsung. And I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even get a "replacement" of a retail edition.... If there's nothing functionally wrong with your phone, nobody is going to replace anything.

You'd know if you had Dev Edition because you'd pay an arm and a leg for it, as stated before (700 plus tax from Sammy, or 750-1000 on swappa/ebay).

The CM thread says it supports VZW because it supports Verizon Dev Edition, that is all. Not retail.

My Note 3 Dev Edition did NOT say Dev Edition on the battery cover either..... don't know that anyone's does... Only says it on the box, and in download mode info.

I feel like my head wants to explode right now..... :eek:

Reactions: cam1pbell

cam1pbell

Apr 17, 2008
Ask for a replacement? What in the world are you speaking of? No replacement will be Dev Edition, unless you have a fluke occurance like the other person did (which won't happen). You WILL get laughed at asking for a Dev Edition (and/or they won't even know what the hell you're talking about). You HAVE to buy Dev Edition directly from Samsung, or one privately from a person who bought it from Samsung. And I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even get a "replacement" of a retail edition.... If there's nothing functionally wrong with your phone, nobody is going to replace anything.

You'd know if you had Dev Edition because you'd pay an arm and a leg for it, as stated before (700 plus tax from Sammy, or 750-1000 on swappa/ebay).

The CM thread says it supports VZW because it supports Verizon Dev Edition, that is all. Not retail.

My Note 3 Dev Edition did NOT say Dev Edition on the battery cover either..... don't know that anyone's does... Only says it on the box, and in download mode info.

????BOOM????? I couldn't resist.....

Sent From My SM-N900V Developer Addition

Reactions: TechSavvy2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

Help please,

Thanks!

"Ha freedom"
    -Verizon Wireless

They don't care about thier customers, they have your money.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Hello,

Help please,

Thanks!

Thank you for the help!

????BOOM????? I couldn't resist.....

Sent From My SM-N900V Developer Addition