Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Can I still flash files under KNOX?

OP iBismuth

5th March 2014, 10:48 AM   |  #1  
iBismuth's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Just various different questions on if I could or couldn't do under the KNOX firmware.

Yes I've read around but unfortunately most information regarding 4.3 fw and knox are
in other device threads ( Specifically on how to work around KNOX when flashing).

I've also read thorough and around CNexus's thread regarding FAQ on KNOX.
These questions are more info for me whether to decide if I can flash different kernels or
AOSP based roms specifically on d2spr. I want a device having better stability and great battery life.
I could care less regarding tripping the counter or warranties as long as I can use my device and
not have to spend so much time charging the battery or turning it off completely because it's being a prick.

So onto my first set of questions, it's regarding stock TW firmware.
( Shout out and thanks to K1mu for I used his rooting method. )

Can I install custom recoveries or will KNOX not let me do that?
If I can, could I flash kernels or will KNOX not allow me to?
And if I can, will KNOX make the device unstable under the custom kernel?
By unstable i mean FC apps, Apps that require root will not work properly, etc.
-
My second set of questions is regarding flashing AOSP under KNOX.

As the above stated about recoveries, Can I still flash AOSP based roms under the knox bootloader?
And will I be able to have a custom kernel on AOSP?

I'm currently fully stock TW MK3 with latest firmware and after doing a lot of digging regarding knox.
I'm kinda stuck at the moment, For now, i'm just rooted.

Any replies on this is much appreciated.

-iB
5th March 2014, 12:43 PM   |  #2  
metalfan78's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Littleton, CO
Thanks Meter: 1,787
 
4,032 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
You can flash anything, including a custom recovery, if you have Knox. The only thing you can't do is Odin a previous version of Android. If you you flash anything in Odin lower than 4.3 then the bootloader is being overwritten and that's when Knox turns your phone into a paperweight.
The Following User Says Thank You to metalfan78 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th March 2014, 07:33 PM   |  #3  
iBismuth's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfan78

You can flash anything, including a custom recovery, if you have Knox. The only thing you can't do is Odin a previous version of Android. If you you flash anything in Odin lower than 4.3 then the bootloader is being overwritten and that's when Knox turns your phone into a paperweight.

Thanks for replying metalfan78.

I know downgrading the bootloader will superbrick the device.
Just wanted to know if a custom ROM or kernel would run stable under the Knox bootloader. Because there's no issues regarding that here as seeing issues on other device threads about Knox and flashing other ROMs / kernels.
5th March 2014, 07:36 PM   |  #4  
metalfan78's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Littleton, CO
Thanks Meter: 1,787
 
4,032 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
The Knox bootloader should have no effect on rom/kernel. I haven't seen any correlation being discussed here. All custom roms have that crap removed.
5th March 2014, 07:36 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
138 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBismuth

Just various different questions on if I could or couldn't do under the KNOX firmware.

Yes I've read around but unfortunately most information regarding 4.3 fw and knox are
in other device threads ( Specifically on how to work around KNOX when flashing).

I've also read thorough and around CNexus's thread regarding FAQ on KNOX.
These questions are more info for me whether to decide if I can flash different kernels or
AOSP based roms specifically on d2spr. I want a device having better stability and great battery life.
I could care less regarding tripping the counter or warranties as long as I can use my device and
not have to spend so much time charging the battery or turning it off completely because it's being a prick.

So onto my first set of questions, it's regarding stock TW firmware.
( Shout out and thanks to K1mu for I used his rooting method. )

Can I install custom recoveries or will KNOX not let me do that?
If I can, could I flash kernels or will KNOX not allow me to?
And if I can, will KNOX make the device unstable under the custom kernel?
By unstable i mean FC apps, Apps that require root will not work properly, etc.
-
My second set of questions is regarding flashing AOSP under KNOX.

As the above stated about recoveries, Can I still flash AOSP based roms under the knox bootloader?
And will I be able to have a custom kernel on AOSP?

I'm currently fully stock TW MK3 with latest firmware and after doing a lot of digging regarding knox.
I'm kinda stuck at the moment, For now, i'm just rooted.

Any replies on this is much appreciated.

-iB



Just remove the KNOX apps as this may cause issues with superSU. Yes, you can flash AOSP ROMs under the KNOX bootloader.

Any reason you want to keep KNOX?
The Following User Says Thank You to flynhawn2002 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th March 2014, 02:27 AM   |  #6  
iBismuth's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynhawn2002

Just remove the KNOX apps as this may cause issues with superSU. Yes, you can flash AOSP ROMs under the KNOX bootloader.

Any reason you want to keep KNOX?

I upgraded from the s ii and the sprint rep OTA updated the phone
without asking me Q's on if I wanted to do it myself.

Lame customer service I tell ya
6th March 2014, 02:51 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 61
 
138 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Ahhh....now worries. Just remove KNOX, root your phone and flash as much AOSP as you can! Good Luck!
6th March 2014, 08:18 AM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Flag Accra
Thanks Meter: 2
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Is there a way to root 4.3 without tripping knox and counter?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes