Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,583 Members 37,901 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] if i root my phone, will i still be able to receive ota updates?

Tip us?

Blackknite
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Post [Q] if i root my phone, will i still be able to receive ota updates?

if i root my phone, will i still be able to receive OTA updates? I have never rooted a phone before. i dont care about the warranty because the phone has a cracked screen. I am more concerned about loosing the ability to update my android if other updates come out. can any one help?

Phone Stats:

Device name: SGH-T889

Model Number: SGH-T889

Android Version: 4.3

Baseband version: T889UVUCMK7 (what ever this means)

Kernal Version: 3.0.30-2085660

Build Number: JSS15J.T889UVUCMK7

SE for Andriod Status: Enforcing SEPF_SGH-T889_4.3_0010 (what ever this means)

ciphercodes
Old
Thanks Meter 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackknite View Post
if i root my phone, will i still be able to receive OTA updates? I have never rooted a phone before. i dont care about the warranty because the phone has a cracked screen. I am more concerned about loosing the ability to update my android if other updates come out. can any one help?:confused
No, OTA updates will not work as most likely the device status will change to custom.
If you want to root and don't care about warranty then why not flash pre-rooted Stock or Custom ROM's after the OTA is released.
It just takes few days or sometime few hours for our awesome developers at XDA to upload the rooted ROMs and you always have a choice to get back to stock.

Once you root, you can update to latest android versions(custom roms) even before the OTA is released.

ShogoX000
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm relatively new to rooting but once I rooted it, haven't looked back. In my opinion, it's totally worth it. I have better battery life and it is so much faster than the laggy Samsung android skin.

rosedog
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
if i root my phone, will i still be able to receive OTA updates? I have never rooted a phone before. i dont care about the warranty because the phone has a cracked screen. I am more concerned about loosing the ability to update my android if other updates come out. can any one help?

Phone Stats:

The correct answer is...It depends. I was rooted prior to the OTA 4.3 update and used Triangle Away to make my device status read "normal" thus allowing me to update via OTA. Was this the right way? No. While my device fully updated reads status normal, offical no Knox counter tripping ~ Tmobile health device and store computers see my phone as rooted. Why? I believe this is do to me not undoing Super User first.

However there may be light at the end of the tunnel (or so I hope).

ciphercodes
Old
(Last edited by ciphercodes; 9th January 2014 at 12:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 235
Op's phone is already on 4.3,
triangle away does not work on 4.3 bootloader and he won't be able to change device status and apply the OTA.

There might be other ways which I am not aware of.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

nitin.chobhe
Old
Thanks Meter 66

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Phone Stats:

Yes you'll get the OTA even if you are rooted, as long as you do not modify any system files. Only rooting the phone will not restrict you from getting an OTA. This is explained beautifully here: http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...ooting
Nokia 1100 => Nokia 1650 => Micromax Q5 fb => Nexus 4 and Moto G

Check my blog: *The Gadgets Star*