Camera any better...?

OP gino_76ph

5th March 2014, 11:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

116 posts
Hi.

I currently have an Xperia SP and i found the battery life to be pretty good for the tasks and routines i do everyday. It seems that Sony has properly optimised the OS and battery life on their phones this time.

But the biggest issue of my Xperia SP was the camera. Zoom is atrocious and near abysmal with lots of noise and artefacts. Burst mode and shot-to-shots/in-between shots was non-existent. Lag was a mile wide. ANY type of image stabilisation was just nothing.

Is the Z1 camera zoom unlike the SP's?
5th March 2014, 11:40 PM   |  #2  
Flag Huddersfield
Thanks Meter: 275

1,281 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gino_76ph

Hi.

I currently have an Xperia SP and i found the battery life to be pretty good for the tasks and routines i do everyday. It seems that Sony has properly optimised the OS and battery life on their phones this time.

But the biggest issue of my Xperia SP was the camera. Zoom is atrocious and near abysmal with lots of noise and artefacts. Burst mode and shot-to-shots/in-between shots was non-existent. Lag was a mile wide. ANY type of image stabilisation was just nothing.

Is the Z1 camera zoom unlike the SP's?

Really wouldn't recommend zooming on a smartphone unless it's optical. But the camera itself is alot better. But low light is awful

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to AndroidInsanity For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th March 2014, 07:57 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

116 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by technostein

Really wouldn't recommend zooming on a smartphone unless it's optical. But the camera itself is alot better. But low light is awful

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Does the Z1 have not got optical image stabilisation?

Would you say any phone with OIS is good?
6th March 2014, 10:30 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 197

1,273 posts
More
It doesn't have OIS no...

And zooming on a smartphone is always crap, same as when you zoom in on a picture on the computer. Optical zoom != Optical Image Stabilization. OIS is great but doesn't define the phone, LG2 has OIS but still has issues with low light scenes. Also, OIS is only useful when shooting stills, it only corrects for minor movement of the phone itself not for movement of other objects.
The Following User Says Thank You to dagrim1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th March 2014, 11:31 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 471

708 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagrim1

OIS is great but doesn't define the phone, LG2 has OIS but still has issues with low light scenes. Also, OIS is only useful when shooting stills, it only corrects for minor movement of the phone itself not for movement of other objects.

The irony is that the one of the best benefits of OIS would be to stabilize the device when using a separate camera button because that causes mild movement. And ironically the phone that has OIS (LG G2) doesn't have a camera button and the one that has the button (Xperia Z1) doesn't have OIS Another benefit for OIS would be when taking pictures in cold weather such as winter or on skiing trips if the cold is enough to cause hands to shake a bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akselic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th March 2014, 11:48 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 197

1,273 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akselic

The irony is that the one of the best benefits of OIS would be to stabilize the device when using a separate camera button because that causes mild movement. And ironically the phone that has OIS (LG G2) doesn't have a camera button and the one that has the button (Xperia Z1) doesn't have OIS Another benefit for OIS would be when taking pictures in cold weather such as winter or on skiing trips if the cold is enough to cause hands to shake a bit.

Heh, indeed... I am a big fan of OIS btw (Had the Lumia920 for a while, worked wonders there). But it's not the holy grail (but indeed, I wish the Z1 had it).
The Following User Says Thank You to dagrim1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th March 2014, 12:19 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

116 posts
It would seem that's one of the major "flaws" of the Z1...having no OIS. I'm quite happy with my G2 when it comes to stills. Not much into taking videos though.

One factor i'm looking in a phone is the shutter lag. My old S3 LTE and my other phone (iPhone 5C) has an almost instantaneous/zero shutter lag just by tapping the on-screen shutter button. For me its a big advantage on a phone.
6th March 2014, 12:25 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 471

708 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gino_76ph

It would seem that's one of the major "flaws" of the Z1...having no OIS. I'm quite happy with my G2 when it comes to stills. Not much into taking videos though.

One factor i'm looking in a phone is the shutter lag. My old S3 LTE and my other phone (iPhone 5C) has an almost instantaneous/zero shutter lag just by tapping the on-screen shutter button. For me its a big advantage on a phone.

I wouldn't classify the lack of OIS as a major flaw, it's just a deficiency of something that could be useful and improve the camera.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akselic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th March 2014, 12:26 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

116 posts
But having OIS is STILL better IMO. Having something that helps even for a little means a lot overall.

The Following User Says Thank You to gino_76ph For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread