Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,547 Members 43,220 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Improvement] How my battery life got doubled!!

Tip us?

gooberdude
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradipovsky View Post
I think what helped you was battery recalibration, which was obtained by draining it completely and then fully recharging.

"Batterystats.bin" stores the data that's shown in the "Battery" section of the settings and gets wiped every time charge gets to 100%, so an app that deletes might not be bad, but rather pointless. The data collected in batterystats.bin is different from the information about the charge of the battery, which is the one that was affecting you.
HA this is funny... Now that I read this. Unfortunately I do not have a link, but you can google for it.

Google states that resetting or calibrating the battery performance on Android does not work any better than leaving it alone.

Google: Battery Status Resetting Google. I am sure you will find it.

It is possible that your media was the issue. All you had to do is use Battery in the system to verify what activities were draining before and after.

I have a thorough thread on battery drain in the Q&A section. Take note, I did not recommend doing any battery optimization or resetting.

If any thing allowing the battery to drain down to 20% before charging to 100% should be good enough to allow the system to properly adjust for charge and discharge time.

bradipovsky
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberdude View Post
HA this is funny... Now that I read this. Unfortunately I do not have a link, but you can google for it.

Google states that resetting or calibrating the battery performance on Android does not work any better than leaving it alone.

Google: Battery Status Resetting Google. I am sure you will find it.

It is possible that your media was the issue. All you had to do is use Battery in the system to verify what activities were draining before and after.

I have a thorough thread on battery drain in the Q&A section. Take note, I did not recommend doing any battery optimization or resetting.

If any thing allowing the battery to drain down to 20% before charging to 100% should be good enough to allow the system to properly adjust for charge and discharge time.
What part do you find find in particular? Anyway, I read that every once in a while (once in more than 3 months) Li-ion batteries should be recalibrated, whether they power an Android device or a toaster. Meanwhile, it is wrong for the battery to discharge it completely every single time: it is better to do 20% wide cycles.

My main source is http://batteryuniversity.com/, but I found the same things over and over again in multiple places. I'm aware it might as well mean nothing, but one's got to believe in something

gooberdude
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradipovsky View Post
What part do you find find in particular? Anyway, I read that every once in a while (once in more than 3 months) Li-ion batteries should be recalibrated, whether they power an Android device or a toaster. Meanwhile, it is wrong for the battery to discharge it completely every single time: it is better to do 20% wide cycles.

My main source is http://batteryuniversity.com/, but I found the same things over and over again in multiple places. I'm aware it might as well mean nothing, but one's got to believe in something
Ok, what was funny is everyone wants to think the battery is so problematic. Have older devices with Li Ion batteries, and the only issue I have is how the device may lock the usb until shutdown. I wait a minute after full power down before connecting a USB charge cable. As for charging when the device is on, I leave the device connected to the charger when powering on.

Google developed Android and its features to monitor battery charge / discharge state. I will look for you the article from Google about such things as using apps to tune battery or clearing the battery log.

Here is some reading for you on the the xda site... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2170039

bradipovsky
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Here is some reading for you on the the xda site... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2170039
That says that wiping battery stats (=deleting batterystats.bin) does not affect the battery life and that it doesn't help recalibrating the battery, because in fact the file batterystats.bin gets automatically deleted every time the charge percentage gets near 100% (it does not even need to reach it), and it only has to do with the battery usage stats in the settings app. I repeated that a number of times already.

In other words: that thread says that wiping battery stats to get more battery life is a myth, which is the same thing that I said earlier, quoting the same Google engineer. Recalibration of any Li-ion battery is a whole other thing.

Quote:
Ok, what was funny is everyone wants to think the battery is so problematic. Have older devices with Li Ion batteries, and the only issue I have is how the device may lock the usb until shutdown. I wait a minute after full power down before connecting a USB charge cable. As for charging when the device is on, I leave the device connected to the charger when powering on.
Appearently some Note 8's batteries are problematic: it's not normal for it to last hours at 2%.

Quote:
Google developed Android and its features to monitor battery charge / discharge state. I will look for you the article from Google about such things as using apps to tune battery or clearing the battery log.
I believe (I'm not sure, I didn't spend days studying this) that the deepest battery monitoring is up to the battery itself: it's the battery that tells its charge percentage to the device, therefore Google has little to do with it. Recalibrating is something "deeper" than the OS, or at least that's what I understood...

Moreover, "standard" miscalibration normally accounts for some 2-5%, not hours of charge as in the OP's case (I hope it's not "our" case...), so that's why many people had never had any trouble with it.

Anyway, please mind that everything I say comes from superficial reading and experience, I didn't study the matter.