XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more
Post Reply

[Q] Lumia 521 Update?

OP slyr114

6th March 2014, 04:22 PM   |  #1  
slyr114's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Cleveland
Thanks Meter: 59
 
375 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
So I read that the Lumia Black update is out now and other 520/521 based phones have it, at least on ATT. Is there anyway to download the update and manually flash it to the phone? If they are not releasing this update for our phones, I fear they will never release the 8.1 update either when it comes out Also does anyone else have issues transfering files from their pc to their phone? It takes an extremely long time, slow phone write speed I assume, and half the time it times out altogether. I am running Windows 8.1 and have a good computer so I know its not on that end.
Last edited by slyr114; 6th March 2014 at 04:30 PM.
6th March 2014, 04:54 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
122 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyr114

So I read that the Lumia Black update is out now and other 520/521 based phones have it, at least on ATT. Is there anyway to download the update and manually flash it to the phone? If they are not releasing this update for our phones, I fear they will never release the 8.1 update either when it comes out Also does anyone else have issues transfering files from their pc to their phone? It takes an extremely long time, slow phone write speed I assume, and half the time it times out altogether. I am running Windows 8.1 and have a good computer so I know its not on that end.

If you can't get it OTA, use NCS to check, download and flash new firmware (if it's available). Guide for that is somewhere on this forum, search for it.

I'm assuming you're talking about USB transfer? Try a different cable and port, though any USB 3.0 ports you may have shouldn't make any difference because the phone still uses 2.0.
6th March 2014, 05:40 PM   |  #3  
slyr114's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Cleveland
Thanks Meter: 59
 
375 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviUnic

If you can't get it OTA, use NCS to check, download and flash new firmware (if it's available). Guide for that is somewhere on this forum, search for it.

I'm assuming you're talking about USB transfer? Try a different cable and port, though any USB 3.0 ports you may have shouldn't make any difference because the phone still uses 2.0.

Thanks for the reply, Ya i checked for updates using the software and it is sadly still not available yet I guess. As for the cable thing, I tried with multiple cables in multiple ports on multiple computers, my 521 just takes forever to transfer via usb, its bad I actually have to take out my sd card and use a card reader if I want to transfer something fast or even at a normal pace. Many times the file copy will get hung up during the transfer and the only way to cancel it is to unplug the phone from the computer mid transfer. Is my 521 defective or do they all have terrible write speeds?
6th March 2014, 06:37 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
122 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyr114

Thanks for the reply, Ya i checked for updates using the software and it is sadly still not available yet I guess. As for the cable thing, I tried with multiple cables in multiple ports on multiple computers, my 521 just takes forever to transfer via usb, its bad I actually have to take out my sd card and use a card reader if I want to transfer something fast or even at a normal pace. Many times the file copy will get hung up during the transfer and the only way to cancel it is to unplug the phone from the computer mid transfer. Is my 521 defective or do they all have terrible write speeds?

More than likely it's a bad unit...
6th March 2014, 10:33 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
236 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
I've had gdr3 for a while, but no black. By the time black comes out 8.1 will probably be released via developers program. I'm thinking black will be released this month though for 521. Kind of weird the best selling Nokia phones are getting black so late. That's T-Mobile for you.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
10th March 2014, 06:47 PM   |  #6  
xandros9's Avatar
Member
Flag Fairfax Station, VA
Thanks Meter: 1
 
32 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclegg2011

I've had gdr3 for a while, but no black. By the time black comes out 8.1 will probably be released via developers program. I'm thinking black will be released this month though for 521. Kind of weird the best selling Nokia phones are getting black so late. That's T-Mobile for you.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

but then again they are the lowest-end models.

If you stick to the Preview for Developer's program, you should get Update 3 (previously GDR3) and 8.1 in the future.
As for Nokia firmware like Black and Amber, they are mostly independent of MS's updates.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes