Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,216 Members 53,616 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to temp un-root MK2 for Warranty?

Tip us?

jpinsl
Old
(Last edited by jpinsl; 6th March 2014 at 05:07 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Question [Q] How to temp un-root MK2 for Warranty?

Am having trouble un-rooting MK2 for warranty work and could use some pointers.

Here's the problem: I'm not getting 4G/LTE signal, even in dense urban areas.
I think I need a new SIM, which will entail a trip to the Verizon Store, which means un-rooting.

I recently upgraded to a Galaxy S4. I have Unlimited Data, so I did the upgrade on another line, then used my existing SIM from my Galaxy Nexus to activate. It seemed to work fine.

Then did the following:
• Rooted
• WiFi Tether hack
• Installed Xposed and Wanum to remove custom boot screen

So I read the various un-root threads. This seems the most useful:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578209
but I'm concerned about the warning about losing the Loki Exploit and not being able to re-root.
If I ODIN the factory image, will I still be able to root it without Loki?

Other threads recommended a full-reset, which I did from stock recovery. Afterwards, I am still rooted and the Custom boot screen still appears.

So, how can I get back to a factory state to get a new SIM and then still be able to re-root?

Being able to use SafeStrap would be nice, but my main requirements are Root and WiFi tether. I can live with Nova Launcher over stock TouchWiz. I backed up the customized image in TiBu so I'll be able to restore once re-rooted.

Thoughts?

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1,599

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinsl View Post
Am having trouble un-rooting MK2 for warranty work and could use some pointers.

Here's the problem: I'm not getting 4G/LTE signal, even in dense urban areas.
I think I need a new SIM, which will entail a trip to the Verizon Store, which means un-rooting.

I recently upgraded to a Galaxy S4. I have Unlimited Data, so I did the upgrade on another line, then used my existing SIM from my Galaxy Nexus to activate. It seemed to work fine.

Then did the following:
Rooted
WiFi Tether hack
Installed Xposed and Wanum to remove custom boot screen

So I read the various un-root threads. This seems the most useful:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578209
but I'm concerned about the warning about losing the Loki Exploit and not being able to re-root.
If I ODIN the factory image, will I still be able to root it without Loki?

Other threads recommended a full-reset, which I did from stock recovery. Afterwards, I am still rooted and the Custom boot screen still appears.

So, how can I get back to a factory state to get a new SIM and then still be able to re-root?

Being able to use SafeStrap would be nice, but my main requirements are Root and WiFi tether. I can live with Nova Launcher over stock TouchWiz. I backed up the customized image in TiBu so I'll be able to restore once re-rooted.

Thoughts?
Don't worry about any of this. I just did this few weeks ago. They don't care about your phone status as far as custom goes for a new Sim Card. Alls they do is put it in and power it back up. And your good.

As far as the other things you said.. If you're on MK2 build then nothing to do with Loki applies to you.

Anyways..... You're going to be just fine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

By the way... I went into Verizon running a custom recovery and a AOSP ROM. Your on mk2 which is still Stock TW. All the menus and settings are the same. They are not in a AOSP ROM like mine was.
The Verizon people were actually jealous of my phone .
Its when you send your phone in for an insurance claim that you want to do what you originally asked about.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
#un-root #mk5