Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

Prepare Your Nokia X2 for Battle with Nokia X2 Tools

Unveiled in June this year, the Nokia X2 is the Finnish companys second crack at an … more

Increase the Speaker Volume of Your Samsung Gear 2 with Tool and Tutorial

I think its pretty safe to say that any sound coming out of a … more

Forgive my ignorance

3rd March 2014, 05:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
I think I am about as new as they come when it comes to rooting or modifying a phone. Perhaps I shouldn't do anything. I will do what is safe, which is to read and then read some more.

I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 with a mk2 build. I just wanted to check with the forum to see if I am on the right track.

First - I have enabled developer options and USB debugging. I download Fies and I think I have downloaded recent USB drivers. This is where I have stopped.

Second - I download safe root (not sure where) and root the phone.

Third - I would download safestrap for mk2. I think this would allow me to actually change factory settings.

It is my understanding that removing bloat ware or making simple changes can brick the phone so I am trying to see why you would undertake this entire endeavor.

Then there is Odin. I need to read up on this topic. I have no clue what purpose it serves.

Keeping in mind I have and will do nothing other than enable developer options, am I on the right track in terms of research?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
3rd March 2014, 05:49 PM   |  #2  
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 1,661

3,477 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by realdog4

I think I am about as new as they come when it comes to rooting or modifying a phone. Perhaps I shouldn't do anything. I will do what is safe, which is to read and then read some more.

I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 with a mk2 build. I just wanted to check with the forum to see if I am on the right track.

First - I have enabled developer options and USB debugging. I download Fies and I think I have downloaded recent USB drivers. This is where I have stopped.

Third - I would download safestrap for mk2. I think this would allow me to actually change factory settings.

It is my understanding that removing bloat ware or making simple changes can brick the phone so I am trying to see why you would undertake this entire endeavor.

Then there is Odin. I need to read up on this topic. I have no clue what purpose it serves.

Keeping in mind I have and will do nothing other than enable developer options, am I on the right track in terms of research?

Thanks in advance.

Start out here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Also check this out
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578569

3rd March 2014, 06:01 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
More
Thank you for the links.

I forgot to add I am using a Hyperion extended battery. Do I need to use the stock battery when making any sort of changes or downloading necessary software?

3rd March 2014, 06:05 PM   |  #4  
Flag Springfield, Ma
Thanks Meter: 1,661

3,477 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thank you for the links.

I forgot to add I am using a Hyperion extended battery. Do I need to use the stock battery when making any sort of changes or downloading necessary software?

No your good to go with that battery. After you root with saferoot you're going to want to install SafeStrap, that is if you want to install any ROMs , there's a list of SafeStrap compatible ROMs I'll get you.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2630040

And get familiar with Odin. You'll use that in the event your phone gets bricked

5th March 2014, 05:12 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,552

1,910 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

As far as "trying to see why you would undertake this entire endeavor", well, that's an interesting question.
Rooting entails risk. You may ruin your phone if something goes wrong. The more that you do that takes advantage of being rooted, the more likely that something could go wrong. You use Odin to re-flash known good software to recover when an Oops happens.

So, you need to decide why you want to root. I'd say that most people root since it allows them the ability to install custom ROMs. Some do it to have the ability to remove unnecessary software ("bloat") from their phones. Some do it because it lets them back everything up and recover in the case of a problem.

If you don't want to customize, and are satisfied with the factory-included set of software, then there's little reason to root. Only you can decide if the abilities that rooting gives you are worthwhile or not.

I run a rooted, OEM stock phone, mostly because I'm re-flashing it a lot to test rooting software. Putting a lot of effort into customizing a custom ROM when you're re-flashing OEM every few days is not fun, so I stay stock. I ran hyperdrive using Safestrap for a while, however.

The phone is rooted to allow Titanium Backup to backup and restore for the most part. I've also frozen a couple of huge apps that want to push updates (NFL Mobile, for example.) Other than that, I could probably live without being rooted, but it would be frustrating.
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th March 2014, 02:06 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
More
Thank you for your reply.

I want to root in order to get rid of all the bloat ware.

The more I read, however, the more intrigued I have become with custom roms. That venture is not in the near future.

My immediate concern is that I have read if you freeze or delete some bloat ware programs, an update can brick your phone.

My phone will update without my permission or knowledge so I am bit weary. If I am incorrect about the bloat ware/brick issue please let me know.

Regardless - Take care and thanks to all.

6th March 2014, 12:41 PM   |  #7  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 814

2,395 posts
Quote:

The more I read, however, the more intrigued I have become with custom roms. That venture is not in the near future.

My immediate concern is that I have read if you freeze or delete some bloat ware programs, an update can brick your phone.

My phone will update without my permission or knowledge so I am bit weary. If I am incorrect about the bloat ware/brick issue please let me know.

once you obtain root, you can load titatanium backup and freeze the update packages...many threads around here that explain what how you can do it
6th March 2014, 02:06 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,552

1,910 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

If you freeze applications, it won't brick after an OTA - the OTA will simply fail (at least on a Verizon phone). The update checks to verify that all of the files being updated are there and not tampered with before it starts updating.
6th March 2014, 07:59 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
More
I have noticed everyone is running MJ7. If memory serves me correct, the one exception with changing build is that you can run MJ7 over MK2 (my phone).

Should I run MJ7?

Once again, sorry for all the questions.

6th March 2014, 10:53 PM   |  #10  
Flag Decatur
Thanks Meter: 814

2,395 posts
Quote:

I have noticed everyone is running MJ7. If memory serves me correct, the one exception with changing build is that you can run MJ7 over MK2 (my phone).

Should I run MJ7?

Once again, sorry for all the questions.

MK2 is fine...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread