Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,884 Members 52,359 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Forgive my ignorance

Tip us?

realdog4
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Forgive my ignorance

I think I am about as new as they come when it comes to rooting or modifying a phone. Perhaps I shouldn't do anything. I will do what is safe, which is to read and then read some more.

I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 with a mk2 build. I just wanted to check with the forum to see if I am on the right track.

First - I have enabled developer options and USB debugging. I download Fies and I think I have downloaded recent USB drivers. This is where I have stopped.

Second - I download safe root (not sure where) and root the phone.

Third - I would download safestrap for mk2. I think this would allow me to actually change factory settings.

It is my understanding that removing bloat ware or making simple changes can brick the phone so I am trying to see why you would undertake this entire endeavor.

Then there is Odin. I need to read up on this topic. I have no clue what purpose it serves.

Keeping in mind I have and will do nothing other than enable developer options, am I on the right track in terms of research?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1,549

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by realdog4 View Post
I think I am about as new as they come when it comes to rooting or modifying a phone. Perhaps I shouldn't do anything. I will do what is safe, which is to read and then read some more.

I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 with a mk2 build. I just wanted to check with the forum to see if I am on the right track.

First - I have enabled developer options and USB debugging. I download Fies and I think I have downloaded recent USB drivers. This is where I have stopped.

Third - I would download safestrap for mk2. I think this would allow me to actually change factory settings.

It is my understanding that removing bloat ware or making simple changes can brick the phone so I am trying to see why you would undertake this entire endeavor.

Then there is Odin. I need to read up on this topic. I have no clue what purpose it serves.

Keeping in mind I have and will do nothing other than enable developer options, am I on the right track in terms of research?

Thanks in advance.

Start out here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Also check this out
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578569

realdog4
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for the links.

I forgot to add I am using a Hyperion extended battery. Do I need to use the stock battery when making any sort of changes or downloading necessary software?

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1,549

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thank you for the links.

I forgot to add I am using a Hyperion extended battery. Do I need to use the stock battery when making any sort of changes or downloading necessary software?

No your good to go with that battery. After you root with saferoot you're going to want to install SafeStrap, that is if you want to install any ROMs , there's a list of SafeStrap compatible ROMs I'll get you.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2630040

And get familiar with Odin. You'll use that in the event your phone gets bricked

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,548

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

As far as "trying to see why you would undertake this entire endeavor", well, that's an interesting question.
Rooting entails risk. You may ruin your phone if something goes wrong. The more that you do that takes advantage of being rooted, the more likely that something could go wrong. You use Odin to re-flash known good software to recover when an Oops happens.

So, you need to decide why you want to root. I'd say that most people root since it allows them the ability to install custom ROMs. Some do it to have the ability to remove unnecessary software ("bloat") from their phones. Some do it because it lets them back everything up and recover in the case of a problem.

If you don't want to customize, and are satisfied with the factory-included set of software, then there's little reason to root. Only you can decide if the abilities that rooting gives you are worthwhile or not.

I run a rooted, OEM stock phone, mostly because I'm re-flashing it a lot to test rooting software. Putting a lot of effort into customizing a custom ROM when you're re-flashing OEM every few days is not fun, so I stay stock. I ran hyperdrive using Safestrap for a while, however.

The phone is rooted to allow Titanium Backup to backup and restore for the most part. I've also frozen a couple of huge apps that want to push updates (NFL Mobile, for example.) Other than that, I could probably live without being rooted, but it would be frustrating.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

realdog4
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for your reply.

I want to root in order to get rid of all the bloat ware.

The more I read, however, the more intrigued I have become with custom roms. That venture is not in the near future.

My immediate concern is that I have read if you freeze or delete some bloat ware programs, an update can brick your phone.

My phone will update without my permission or knowledge so I am bit weary. If I am incorrect about the bloat ware/brick issue please let me know.

Regardless - Take care and thanks to all.

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 813
Quote:

The more I read, however, the more intrigued I have become with custom roms. That venture is not in the near future.

My immediate concern is that I have read if you freeze or delete some bloat ware programs, an update can brick your phone.

My phone will update without my permission or knowledge so I am bit weary. If I am incorrect about the bloat ware/brick issue please let me know.

once you obtain root, you can load titatanium backup and freeze the update packages...many threads around here that explain what how you can do it
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,548

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

If you freeze applications, it won't brick after an OTA - the OTA will simply fail (at least on a Verizon phone). The update checks to verify that all of the files being updated are there and not tampered with before it starts updating.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

realdog4
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I have noticed everyone is running MJ7. If memory serves me correct, the one exception with changing build is that you can run MJ7 over MK2 (my phone).

Should I run MJ7?

Once again, sorry for all the questions.

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 813
Quote:
I have noticed everyone is running MJ7. If memory serves me correct, the one exception with changing build is that you can run MJ7 over MK2 (my phone).

Should I run MJ7?

Once again, sorry for all the questions.

MK2 is fine...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3