Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Quick unroot question

OP Kev1jm2

4th March 2014, 09:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
64 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
I want to return to stock so I can take an OTA. I am currently running Sprint 4.3, rooted, unlocked bootloader, S-ON, software version 3.04.651.2.

I have been reading up on the proper way to return to stock and just want to double check that I have the right information before i break something.

1. Download 3.04.651.2 RUU (or do I want 4.06.651.4 or 4.06.651.2?)
2. USB debugging turned on
3. nandriod
4. go into fastboot
5. Connect phone to computer and go to Andriod SDK folder platform-tools and open a command window
6. type fastboot oem lock in the command window
7. go back to fastboot and run the RUU (how exactly do I run the RUU?)
8. Am I done now? Will these steps give me the stock rom, locked bootloader and stock recovery?

is this how I flash the RUU from the command window?

Fastboot oem rebootRUU
Fastboot flash zip firmware.zip (if filename = firmware.zip)
Fastboot reboot

Thanks for the clarification.
Last edited by Kev1jm2; 4th March 2014 at 10:01 PM.
4th March 2014, 10:29 PM   |  #2  
predator1584's Avatar
Senior Member
Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 113
 
187 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
More
Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev1jm2

I want to return to stock so I can take an OTA. I am currently running Sprint 4.3, rooted, unlocked bootloader, S-ON, software version 3.04.651.2.

I have been reading up on the proper way to return to stock and just want to double check that I have the right information before i break something.

1. Download 3.04.651.2 RUU (or do I want 4.06.651.4 or 4.06.651.2?)
2. USB debugging turned on
3. nandriod
4. go into fastboot
5. Connect phone to computer and go to Andriod SDK folder platform-tools and open a command window
6. type fastboot oem lock in the command window
7. go back to fastboot and run the RUU (how exactly do I run the RUU?)
8. Am I done now? Will these steps give me the stock rom, locked bootloader and stock recovery?

is this how I flash the RUU from the command window?

Fastboot oem rebootRUU
Fastboot flash zip firmware.zip (if filename = firmware.zip)
Fastboot reboot

Thanks for the clarification.

If you have a (S-ON) device you can go to OMJ's thread and run the RUU.exe for instructions:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2658910
read the instructions under the image on the page...

If you want to flash the modified firmware you need (S-OFF), then you would follow these instructions:
I downloaded 4.06.651.4..
then renamed 4.06.651.4.zip to "firmware.zip"..
then moved firmware.zip to 'where-ever fastboot & adb are installed'..
then open command prompt in that folder..
then rebooted to bootloader..
plug phone through USB port, phone should say FASTBOOT USB
cmd: "fastboot oem rebootRUU" (without quotes of course)
cmd: "fastboot flash zip firmware.zip"
cmd: "fastboot reboot" (to reboot)

Hope this helps!
4th March 2014, 11:00 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
64 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by predator1584

If you have a (S-ON) device you can go to OMJ's thread and run the RUU.exe for instructions:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2658910
read the instructions under the image on the page...

If you want to flash the modified firmware you need (S-OFF), then you would follow these instructions:
I downloaded 4.06.651.4..
then renamed 4.06.651.4.zip to "firmware.zip"..
then moved firmware.zip to 'where-ever fastboot & adb are installed'..
then open command prompt in that folder..
then rebooted to bootloader..
plug phone through USB port, phone should say FASTBOOT USB
cmd: "fastboot oem rebootRUU" (without quotes of course)
cmd: "fastboot flash zip firmware.zip"
cmd: "fastboot reboot" (to reboot)

Hope this helps!

The OMJ thread says its for 4.06.651.4. I have 3.04.651.2. Is that a problem or can I still use it?
4th March 2014, 11:07 PM   |  #4  
BD619's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Flag Xda-Dev,NV
Thanks Meter: 8,063
 
8,439 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev1jm2

The OMJ thread says its for 4.06.651.4. I have 3.04.651.2. Is that a problem or can I still use it?

The 4.06.651.4 RUU is the same as taking the OTA but...it will wipe your device
I would suggest getting s-off before you go any further it will save you headaches down the road.
5th March 2014, 01:53 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
64 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev1jm2

The OMJ thread says its for 4.06.651.4. I have 3.04.651.2. Is that a problem or can I still use it?

no luck with the s-off way. got a file size error in cmd. trying the s-on version now.

Nope, got another error. Something about using an incorrect ruu. Bootloader is locked now though...And now its unlocked again. going to try OMJ's tool with the 3.04.651.2 ruu

OMJ's tool worked when my software version matched the tool's version. getting the OTA now. Apparently you cant jump software versions.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Kev1jm2; 5th March 2014 at 04:34 AM.
7th March 2014, 04:10 AM   |  #6  
trancefreak64's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 28
 
183 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev1jm2

no luck with the s-off way. got a file size error in cmd. trying the s-on version now.

Nope, got another error. Something about using an incorrect ruu. Bootloader is locked now though...And now its unlocked again. going to try OMJ's tool with the 3.04.651.2 ruu

OMJ's tool worked when my software version matched the tool's version. getting the OTA now. Apparently you cant jump software versions.

Thanks for your help.

I did not have to relock my phone to RUU it for a repair at HTC. If you run into trouble just reapply your token.bin file to re unlock dev mode and try again. I agree though S-OFF is the way to go if you can sort it out.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
htc one, relock bootloader, sprint, unroot
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes