5,606,650 Members 36,773 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Motorola Solutions TC55

Tip us?

Elanguescence
Old
(Last edited by Elanguescence; 27th January 2014 at 02:56 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Motorola Solutions TC55

Hello,

I have a TC55 from Motorola Solutions (i.e. the enterprise division that does not belong to Google). It is a rugged phone with a big battery (4400 mAh), but certainly not the sleekest design. Not sure if there is much interest in this kind of device, and I am certainly no developer - but in case anyone is investigating the TC55, here are two things I found so far:
  • It does not come with any Google apps: no Maps, no Gmail, no Play store and so on.
  • It is easily rooted with Framaroot using the Gandalf exploit.

(I cannot post this info into the Framaroot thread due to my low post count).

Anyway, maybe this helps someone. I will be happy to try to answer any questions about the TC55, but keep in mind I am no pro and I am not keen in messing around in its internals much more than I have done already.

bfollowell
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanguescence View Post
Hello,

I have a TC55 from Motorola Solutions (i.e. the enterprise division that does not belong to Google). It is a rugged phone with a big battery (4400 mAh), but certainly not the sleekest design. Not sure if there is much interest in this kind of device, and I am certainly no developer - but in case anyone is investigating the TC55, here are two things I found so far:
  • It does not come with any Google apps: no Maps, no Gmail, no Play store and so on.
  • It is easily rooted with Framaroot using the Gandalf exploit.

(I cannot post this info into the Framaroot thread due to my low post count).

Anyway, maybe this helps someone. I will be happy to try to answer any questions about the TC55, but keep in mind I am no pro and I am not keen in messing around in its internals much more than I have done already.
I heard my company is planning to go with these soon for entry level supervisors such as myself. I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is. All the specs and brochures from Motorola keep calling it a mobile computer in a smartphone "form factor" but never actually call it a phone. I didn't see anything in any of the specs to lead me to believe for sure that it was a phone or if it was just an Android computer in a smartphone form factor.

Anyway, I just wanted to confirm, that, you're certain this is a phone, correct?

Thanks.

- Byron

Elanguescence
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
Anyway, I just wanted to confirm, that, you're certain this is a phone, correct?
Yes, definitely. You can call and get called, and you can send and receive SMS. It also supports wired headsets, and it is supposed to work with Bluetooth headsets, though I do not have any to test.

bfollowell
Old
(Last edited by bfollowell; 29th January 2014 at 12:14 AM.) Reason: misspelling
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Yes, definitely. You can call and get called, and you can send and receive SMS. It also supports wired headsets, and it is supposed to work with Bluetooth headsets, though I do not have any to test.
Thanks for the info but it looks like mine is going to be crippled.

Sort of a let-down really. Yes, it "can" be a phone. Or without a sim card it can be a really powerful Android based mobile computer. That's what it is going to be for most of us. Only a few supervisors with area management approval are going to get units with the phone features working. Still cool. Just not as cool as I'd thought it was going to be.

- Byron

Elanguescence
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
Thanks for the info but it looks like mine is going to be crippled.
I see, sorry to hear that. It sounds weird to me to do that, but then again I have no clue about this type of work.

Maybe the crippling could be worked around or undone by people with good Android knowledge - but I suppose it might not be the best idea to go against company policy.

bfollowell
Old
(Last edited by bfollowell; 29th January 2014 at 10:36 AM.) Reason: Forgot something
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
I see, sorry to hear that. It sounds weird to me to do that, but then again I have no clue about this type of work.

Maybe the crippling could be worked around or undone by people with good Android knowledge - but I suppose it might not be the best idea to go against company policy.
I don't think they're doing anything all that special to cripple it. They just won't all have sim cards or a cell plan. Pretty much as simple as that.

I won't be doing anything to circumvent that though or rooting it or anything like that. It's not like it's a gift and it belongs to me or anything. After almost 22 years, I've kind of grown to like my job and getting a paycheck every two weeks.I'd kind of like to keep it for another 15 or 20 years. Who knows, maybe my manager will decide that I need cell service with mine.

I work for a large automaker in the U.S. We have over 2.8 million square feet under roof. Personally, I can be anywhere on in the plant, on the roof, in pits & sub-basements underneath or anywhere on or near the 50 acre plant site at any given time. A lot of what I need to do on a daily basis is through our intranet portal. They're putting in something like 500 new wi-fi repeaters/extenders all around the plant as well. They're purchasing these for over 300 first line supervisors at my site alone. I'm pretty sure they're doing this corporate-wide so I hate to think what they're spending on these things as a corporation. I'm sure it would bankrupt many small nations! In addition to giving us portal access away from the desk, these are meant to replace our aging industrial radio system. As expensive as these are, they're still much cheaper than $1.5 to $2k per person for a radio that has no other built-in functionality and these do seem pretty ruggedized.

Still a shame about the phone functionality though.

- Byron

tfnico
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Can you see what browser it comes with? Can you install (untrusted) APKs directly without rooting it?

johnny grep
Old
Thanks Meter 5
FYI, in case anyone's wondering, there is a version with Google apps on the way (if it isn't already orderable).

Sent from my Moto X

miro.lago
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfnico View Post
Can you see what browser it comes with? Can you install (untrusted) APKs directly without rooting it?
Browser is a standard one, which comes with other devices. Name is Browser.apk and version is 1.0.9
It's possible to install unsigned APK's without rooting.

miro.lago
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default google account

Hi,
I got stucked with trying to get google calendars from my google account to TC55.
I found one solution to setup google account as a corporate one, but it's not available anymore due to change in google policy.
I can setup google mail via email account, but that doesn't bring me my calendars to the device.
I tried to install gapps but without success.
Is there any other way?
Thanks.