Motorola Solutions TC55

Search This thread

Elanguescence

Jun 7, 2010
Hello,

I have a TC55 from Motorola Solutions (i.e. the enterprise division that does not belong to Google). It is a rugged phone with a big battery (4400 mAh), but certainly not the sleekest design. Not sure if there is much interest in this kind of device, and I am certainly no developer - but in case anyone is investigating the TC55, here are two things I found so far:
  • It does not come with any Google apps: no Maps, no Gmail, no Play store and so on.
  • It is easily rooted with Framaroot using the Gandalf exploit.

(I cannot post this info into the Framaroot thread due to my low post count).

Anyway, maybe this helps someone. I will be happy to try to answer any questions about the TC55, but keep in mind I am no pro and I am not keen in messing around in its internals much more than I have done already. :)

Last edited:

bfollowell

Dec 30, 2011
Hello,

I have a TC55 from Motorola Solutions (i.e. the enterprise division that does not belong to Google). It is a rugged phone with a big battery (4400 mAh), but certainly not the sleekest design. Not sure if there is much interest in this kind of device, and I am certainly no developer - but in case anyone is investigating the TC55, here are two things I found so far:
  • It does not come with any Google apps: no Maps, no Gmail, no Play store and so on.

Anyway, maybe this helps someone. I will be happy to try to answer any questions about the TC55, but keep in mind I am no pro and I am not keen in messing around in its internals much more than I have done already. :)

I heard my company is planning to go with these soon for entry level supervisors such as myself. I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is. All the specs and brochures from Motorola keep calling it a mobile computer in a smartphone "form factor" but never actually call it a phone. I didn't see anything in any of the specs to lead me to believe for sure that it was a phone or if it was just an Android computer in a smartphone form factor.

Anyway, I just wanted to confirm, that, you're certain this is a phone, correct?

Thanks.

- Byron

bfollowell

Dec 30, 2011
Yes, definitely. You can call and get called, and you can send and receive SMS. It also supports wired headsets, and it is supposed to work with Bluetooth headsets, though I do not have any to test.

Thanks for the info but it looks like mine is going to be crippled.

Sort of a let-down really. Yes, it "can" be a phone. Or without a sim card it can be a really powerful Android based mobile computer. That's what it is going to be for most of us. Only a few supervisors with area management approval are going to get units with the phone features working. Still cool. Just not as cool as I'd thought it was going to be.

- Byron

Last edited:

Elanguescence

Jun 7, 2010
Thanks for the info but it looks like mine is going to be crippled.

I see, sorry to hear that. It sounds weird to me to do that, but then again I have no clue about this type of work.

Maybe the crippling could be worked around or undone by people with good Android knowledge - but I suppose it might not be the best idea to go against company policy.

bfollowell

Dec 30, 2011
I see, sorry to hear that. It sounds weird to me to do that, but then again I have no clue about this type of work.

Maybe the crippling could be worked around or undone by people with good Android knowledge - but I suppose it might not be the best idea to go against company policy.

I don't think they're doing anything all that special to cripple it. They just won't all have sim cards or a cell plan. Pretty much as simple as that.

I won't be doing anything to circumvent that though or rooting it or anything like that. It's not like it's a gift and it belongs to me or anything. After almost 22 years, I've kind of grown to like my job and getting a paycheck every two weeks.I'd kind of like to keep it for another 15 or 20 years. Who knows, maybe my manager will decide that I need cell service with mine.

I work for a large automaker in the U.S. We have over 2.8 million square feet under roof. Personally, I can be anywhere on in the plant, on the roof, in pits & sub-basements underneath or anywhere on or near the 50 acre plant site at any given time. A lot of what I need to do on a daily basis is through our intranet portal. They're putting in something like 500 new wi-fi repeaters/extenders all around the plant as well. They're purchasing these for over 300 first line supervisors at my site alone. I'm pretty sure they're doing this corporate-wide so I hate to think what they're spending on these things as a corporation. I'm sure it would bankrupt many small nations! In addition to giving us portal access away from the desk, these are meant to replace our aging industrial radio system. As expensive as these are, they're still much cheaper than $1.5 to $2k per person for a radio that has no other built-in functionality and these do seem pretty ruggedized.

Still a shame about the phone functionality though.

- Byron

Last edited:

tfnico

Dec 12, 2012
Can you see what browser it comes with? Can you install (untrusted) APKs directly without rooting it?

johnny grep

Sep 8, 2013
FYI, in case anyone's wondering, there is a version with Google apps on the way (if it isn't already orderable).

Sent from my Moto X

miro.lago

Mar 13, 2014
google account

Hi,
I got stucked with trying to get google calendars from my google account to TC55.
I found one solution to setup google account as a corporate one, but it's not available anymore due to change in google policy.
I can setup google mail via email account, but that doesn't bring me my calendars to the device.
I tried to install gapps but without success.
Is there any other way?
Thanks.

RjCode

May 8, 2014
... here are two things I found so far:

Obviously u rooted, can u install gapps in it?

Elanguescence

Jun 7, 2010
Obviously u rooted, can u install gapps in it?

No idea, I haven't tried. As far as I understand gapps are usually installed via flashing a zip from recovery, and the stock recovery of the TC55 does not have that option, it only allows reflashing a whole image, if I understand it correctly. Either way, I have come to appreciate the open source alternatives and do not want to get Google on my phone, so I will not try, sorry.

However, going by this thread over at the Motorola support forum, it seems it won't take long until there is official gapps support:
https://developer.motorolasolutions.com/thread/4989

Elanguescence

Jun 7, 2010
Motorola has now released a TC55-firmware with Google apps. Here are the release notes:
https://atgsupportcentral.motorolasolutions.com/content/emb/docs/ReleaseNotes/Release%20Notes%20-%20%20TC55_RevAPlus_GMS_01%2074G_v10.htm

According to the support email they sent me, to get the actual release you need to perform the following arcane ritual:

Resolution Type is : Software Download
Resolution Id is  : 95562
Resolution Title is : TC55 Update Image v1.74 with GMS (Google Mobile Service) Release Note & Factory Reset & Enterprise Enabler package

restrictedSW :
T55N0JGMVRUEN17400.zip 321 MB TC55 OS Recovery Update package
T55N0JGMVAUEN17400.apf 321 MB TC55 OS update package file for deployment using MSP

If you require access to OS files for TC55 1.74 GMS then call the local Support Desk and provide following information:
a. Site ID
b. Serial #(s)
c. Phone #
d. Customer name (First and Last)
e. E-mail address

Don't ask me what the local support desk number is, or the site ID, or why they have to make this so complicated.

rattyatty

Jul 16, 2014
Hi Elanguescence,

I think I screwed up my tc55 by enabling the multiuser function without first creating the white list. Now all the users (with admin rights) does not have access to all the programs, including Applock Administrator and Multiuser administrator.

To cut things short, do you know of a way to reset the device? I don't mind setting it to factory default and start over. I've googled it and some said to launch Rapid Deployment and scan a barcode from there... but my Rapid Deployment just says "Service Not Ready, Please Wait" and get stuck there.

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

johnny grep

Sep 8, 2013
Any TC55 users here? Should be getting my unit w/ GMS soon... How do you guys like it?

Is the bootloader locked?

Sent from my Moto X

I_AGREE_BUTTON

Jan 12, 2015
Huawei MatePad Pro
Hey!
I want to Buy one TC55 for me. Normally i hate Android and the Google stuff on the Phone but some Motorola Salesman told me there is a version with out.
Now i use an Sybian Device. That mean i am "offline" the hole time and when i need Internet the Phone connect the the Internet.
So how about that phone can i work "offline" to?
I will also use an VPN Tunnel to block on my backend all Connnection i dont want. Does all Data trough this VPN Tunnel ?
How about the Barcode Scanning does it work good?
I know for 2D i need to use the Cam but how works it when i am in some other Application?

Voyebanm

Oct 29, 2012
Ottawa
Ok. I just bought a TC55 from a Friend and I was wondering if someone would post the update to get GSM and the Factory Reset packages. I went to the page and it requires all the information posted above before. Mine is rooted, but i am trying to install GAPS but the recovery is the basic and cannot. I manually installed Google Play and the Google Play Services but Google Play services keep crashing and the Play Store will not connect, any ideas ?

Top Liked Posts