Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 45,212 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows 8 eReader app

Tip us?

Landara
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 142
Default Windows 8 eReader app

I am searching for a nice eBook reader app for my Dell Venue Pro 8. The best I have found is Freda, and while it is acceptable in most ways, it is missing one key thing that MoonReader Pro for Android had, and that is the auto-read option. You could click play and it would read the book out loud. Once you got used to the voice, it was quite handy. What are your best eReader apps(even if they don't have read it option), and has anyone found any that will read the books out loud?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Dell Venue Pro 8 | Windows 8.1.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: LG Nexus 5 16gb Black | CARRIER: Aio Wireless | ROM: Cataclysm | KERNEL: Trinity for Nexus 5, by Lord Morfic.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2643
There's an old Microsoft e-reader app (desktop, not "metro", of course) that had that feature, but I think they discontinued it. Does the Kindle desktop app do that, perhaps?
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

Jim Chapman
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landara View Post
I am searching for a nice eBook reader app for my Dell Venue Pro 8. The best I have found is Freda, and while it is acceptable in most ways, it is missing one key thing that MoonReader Pro for Android had, and that is the auto-read option. You could click play and it would read the book out loud. Once you got used to the voice, it was quite handy. What are your best eReader apps(even if they don't have read it option), and has anyone found any that will read the books out loud?
As it happens, I am in the process of testing this feature out now - so it will be arriving in Freda some time fairly soon. The code does not work quite right yet ... so expect it to take a few weeks. But it is definitely in the pipeline for Freda (both on Windows 8 and Windows Phone).
Nokia Lumia 920 / WP8
T-Mobile UK

Previous Phones:
Blue Angel (MDA III)
Hermes (MDA Vario II)
HTC Touch Cruise (Polaris) - being used by wife as a pocket GPS
HTC Touch Pro (Raphael) - sold on eBay
HTC Touch Pro 2 (Rhodium) - failed, owing to immersion in fruit juice
Dell Venue Pro, Nokia Lumia 800 & Samsung Omnia 7 / WP7

Turnipsoft, Developer of Freda, the free ebook reader for Windows Phones