Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] "OK Google" permanently listening ...

OP AidanBell

5th March 2014, 11:29 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
258 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Does anyone know a cheat, fix or app that allows Google search to be permanently active and listening for the "OK Google" command, regardless of whatever else is open or foremost on screen? "OK Google" is a phenomenon, but it's a shame that it only works after bringing Google Search or Google Now to the fore; it would be wonderful if it could be permanently listening out for the "OK Google" audio command.
5th March 2014, 05:31 PM   |  #2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanBell

Does anyone know a cheat, fix or app that allows Google search to be permanently active and listening for the "OK Google" command, regardless of whatever else is open or foremost on screen? "OK Google" is a phenomenon, but it's a shame that it only works after bringing Google Search or Google Now to the fore; it would be wonderful if it could be permanently listening out for the "OK Google" audio command.

i think kit kat roms (at the homescreen) always are listening for that command.(i want to say also that the GEL launcher does too)
5th March 2014, 08:54 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
258 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trozzul

i think kit kat roms (at the homescreen) always are listening for that command.(i want to say also that the GEL launcher does too)

Many thanks. I've installed GEL launcher (KK Launcher), and Google Search is indeed always present. However, "OK Google" still only works after first pressing the microphone icon…? I'm looking for a solution whereby if the phone is on, then "OK Google" responds, without having to press anything first.

(I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3, running 4.2.2, rooted but on factory ROM.)
Last edited by AidanBell; 5th March 2014 at 08:56 PM.
5th March 2014, 09:33 PM   |  #4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanBell

Many thanks. I've installed GEL launcher (KK Launcher), and Google Search is indeed always present. However, "OK Google" still only works after first pressing the microphone iconů? I'm looking for a solution whereby if the phone is on, then "OK Google" responds, without having to press anything first.

(I'm on a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3, running 4.2.2, rooted but on factory ROM.)

you might have to toggle it, im pretty sure that it has it the option in settings, try this one instead http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...l-app-t2529594 its the real deal pulled from the nexus 5 , i imagine that it always listening will pull some ram away so note that.
5th March 2014, 10:11 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
258 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trozzul

you might have to toggle it, im pretty sure that it has it the option in settings, try this one instead http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...l-app-t2529594 its the real deal pulled from the nexus 5 , i imagine that it always listening will pull some ram away so note that.

OK, first up my grateful thanks, the basic Google Now launcher you recommended does the trick and I have permanently-on "Go Google". BINGO!
However... ! That launcher is of course extremely basic; only one home page and almost no options. So here's where I get greedy! Is there a way of maintaining the permanently-on Go Google feature of Google Now Launcher, but with the better options and functionality of GEL Launcher?
Last edited by AidanBell; 5th March 2014 at 10:41 PM.
5th March 2014, 10:56 PM   |  #6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanBell

OK, first up my grateful thanks, the basic Google Now launcher you recommended does the trick and I have permanently-on "Go Google". BINGO!
However... ! That launcher is of course extremely basic; only one home page and almost no options. So here's where I get greedy! Is there a way of maintaining the permanently-on Go Google feature of Google Now Launcher, but with the better options and functionality of GEL Launcher?

im sure there is that sort of thing that someone has made already, as for the one homepage there should be more than one? to the left is the google now posts and might have to drag apps to the right to make one. the menu is very disapointing i feel like its a step down, i always got to the settings from there but you only go to the launchers settings.
5th March 2014, 11:28 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
258 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trozzul

im sure there is that sort of thing that someone has made already, as for the one homepage there should be more than one? to the left is the google now posts and might have to drag apps to the right to make one. the menu is very disapointing i feel like its a step down, i always got to the settings from there but you only go to the launchers settings.

Agreed. But I've found the solution; I've found an app that does it! "Open Mic+" keeps the Go Google mic open all the time, even when the screen is off. It's working fine under my current launcher, Apex, and I'm just testing now to see if it works with GEL too.
5th March 2014, 11:32 PM   |  #8  
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanBell

Agreed. But I've found the solution; I've found an app that does it! "Open Mic+" keeps the Go Google mic open all the time, even when the screen is off. It's working fine under my current launcher, Apex, and I'm just testing now to see if it works with GEL too.

awesome find! i might have to try it out as well!
The Following User Says Thank You to Trozzul For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th March 2014, 02:45 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
258 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
I thought I'd post a quick update:
"Open Mic+" is doing a great job, giving me permanently-on "OK Google". BUT ...I've found that it's hogging the voice engine and so I can't use voice dictation anywhere else. The only way round that I've found is to have to switch off Open Mic+ whenever I want to dictate anything elsewhere, which is something of a pain.
It looks like I'm not going to be able to have my cake and eat it after all!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes