XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Debrick your bricked SCH-I535! [BOOTLOADER/HARDBRICK]

Tip us?

nicklittle
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePagel View Post
I am dead serious but if it doesn't try to boot on battery insert its not your problem.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

I thought it sounded stupid as well but I don't have insurance on my phone and its past warranty so I was desperate to get it to turn on. It really doesn't sound like your power button is jammed but if you can't figure it out in a week what's the harm in trying.
haha yeah true, well luckily im still under warranty. so i cant slam the thing around. hopefully they dont get it on themselves and see what ive done to the thing.

lgfuad
Old
Thanks Meter 0
First of all I just want to say that this guide is a real life saver. I hard bricked my new S3 and was sick about it. Thank you everyone who contributed to this!

I did the same thing droidshadow did. The only difference is I used version 1.2.

i went to redownload the EZ-UNLOCK app i saw that there was a version 1.4 so i thought maybe i could use that to unlock my 4.3 OTA update (stupid i know!) but i never remember seeing v1.4 before so i thought maybe it was an update.

After running EZ-Unlock it said the bootloader was unlocked and i tried restarting my phone and it would not power on!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=37

I'm still really new to this, so please forgive my ignorance.

I'm having a few problems still. My phone is up and running and it's rooted using saferoot. Which is all good, but now I can't get into recovery mode or download mode. They both start up. When I enter recovery mode I get the blue text in the top left hand corner, but then the phone just starts up like normal. When I enter download mode the screen flashes the screen for a second before turning off and starting the phone normally.

Also, when I connect my phone to the computer everything works like it should, but when I enter Odin while it says it adds my device when I try to install the stock rom it never connects to the phone and installs it. It just hangs there waiting for the connection.

I have a question about restoring the bootloader and recovery image as well. I downloaded the debrick file and it shows up with the bin extension, but for some reason it wants to use VLC media player to open it. I wrote it to the 16 GB card and it shows up on the card as a folder called "image" with lots of files in it. Nevertheless it worked and my phone booted up.

Then I follow the directions, as best as I can with my inept knowledge of all this. I put the stock bootloader and recovery image on the card (not at the same time) and then put the code in using Terminal Emulator. Here's where I'm confused though.
  • The first time I moved the debrick folder and the recovery image manually to the phone storage and then entered the codes. Again, one at a time.
  • The second time I put the files on the external 16 GB card and left them there. Then I put in the codes and then I plugged the phone back into the computer and deleted the originals on the external card.

Either way the phone works. Mostly. I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong and that's why recovery and download mode won't work.

The instructions also say to keep the debrick.bin file on the external card. Do I keep the actual image folder on the card or the file as it was downloaded? Because even after I deleted the debricked image folder off the card it says there isn't any room on there for the file. I formatted the card at a point but when I put it back in the phone it was bricked again.

I hope someone can help me with this. I'd really appreciate it!

Regardless, the phone is running and I can't thank the creators of this guide enough for that!

cjthompson
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Awesome post! Thank you for this guide. my phone was Hardbricked due to bootloader issues (it apparently doesnt like being messed with).....
Between this post and other members of XDA my phone is now de-bricked!!!!! im still not sure which part bricked it in the first place....

*EZ Unlock (at that time i didnt know about the 4.3 bootloader lock issues)
*Trying to update supersu binaries

it had to be one of those two things. because i didnt have time to mess with trying to install roms or anything before it happened.

Anyways, ive been trying to say thanks to everyone that contributed to helping me with my now-working phone.

So, Thank You.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePagel View Post
It was most certainly ez unlock. Safe root is about as safe as it comes for acquiring root but as I am sure you are now aware of there is no unlocking 4.3 boot loader.
Hey Pagel, im pretty sure you were helping me out on a thread i started the other day about this same issue. Just wanted to say thanks for the help, trying to thank everyone that helped me out.

Im almost 110% sure EZ Unlock is what is bricking everyones phone......i donwloaded that and after i unlocked and tried to reboot my phone is was bricked. same thing, no power no lights nothin. all i could get was a red led if i took the battery out and plugged it into the computer.

the only other thing i thot it could have been was when supersu tried to update the binaries?? is that a possibility? Im too scared to try to update them again.......

Anyways, thank you for your help. my phone is now working again!

robv60
Old
(Last edited by robv60; 16th February 2014 at 03:39 PM.) Reason: clarification
Thanks Meter 0
Default Issue restoring bootloader

This worked for me as well! My phone is up and running but I can not restore my bootloader or recovery using the method described. I moved the files (debrick and recovery) to a spare sd card and tried entering the commands as shown but get an error saying "can not open for read, no such file or directory exists". I assume its because for some reason I do not have the directories on the sdcard those commands require. I was thinking I would just reflash back to stock and reroot but I am unsure if it will work if I do not have my stock bootloader and recovery restored in their proper places. Any insight?

krustybaguette
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Default lacking information

Quote:
Originally Posted by robv60 View Post
This worked for me as well! My phone is up and running but I can not restore my bootloader or recovery using the method described. I moved the files (debrick and recovery) to a spare sd card and tried entering the commands as shown but get an error saying "can not open for read, no such file or directory exists". I assume its because for some reason I do not have the directories on the sdcard those commands require. I was thinking I would just reflash back to stock and reroot but I am unsure if it will work if I do not have my stock bootloader and recovery restored in their proper places. Any insight?
You don't specify if your phone is a Verizon Galaxy S3 I535 with the stock update to 4.3. If so, you need to re-read the entire thread(s) on this issue. Basically your not going to be able to have an unlocked bootloader and the best you can do is follow thePagel's (or other) thread to debrick your phone and restore the stock ROM. After that the only "customization" possible is root (use saferoot) and if you choose (safestrap) which lets you load other ROMS based on the stock ROM. It's a sort of dual boot but IMHO it isn't practical since you can accomplish pretty much the same thing by using one of the methods to "debloat" the stock ROM. I've been down this road and decided to use Titanium Backup to freeze and hide all my unwanted Samsung and Verizon apps. Now I don't get notifications for available updates for apps that I didn't want in the first place.

robv60
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by krustybaguette View Post
You don't specify if your phone is a Verizon Galaxy S3 I535 with the stock update to 4.3.
Sorry about that, My phone is indeed a Verizon SGS III i535 that's running 4.3. I had rooted with saferoot before i screwed everything up by stupidly trying to unlock the bootloader. Live and learn. The OP got me back up and running. As mentioned above, I WAS unable to restore my bootloader and recovery but I have since resolved that issue. I came back here to update my previous post and saw your reply so thought I would address it.

Anyway, my issue was that my SD card was not located at simply /sdcard but rather at /storage/extSdCard. Once i realized that I was able to restore both files to internal memory and have so far been able to boot the phone fully as well as booting into download and recovery modes using the phones internal memory rather than the SD created to unbrick. I believe I should be able to restore to stock 4.3 and re root/debloat but I may forego the process right now as I am currently running 4.3, rooted and debloated so why flash back to stock at this point? Not being able to leave well enough alone is what got me here in the first place.

Thank you all for your help and creating this post!

shqype
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for posting the guide. I am still having trouble with the SD card solution to boot up my hard-bricked Verizon S3 (with 4.3 OTA update). I also got into this mess by running v1.2 of the bootloader unlock app.

My question is related to this step:

Quote:
Windows
1) Download win32diskimager
2) Download the debrick file for your OS version
3) Unzip the debrick.zip and extract debrick.bin
4) Run win32diskimager
5) Connect your SD to your computer
6) In win32diskimager, browse for the extracted debrick file
7) Select your microSD in the dropdown box
I was able to download and unzip the debrick file, which yields a debrick.bin file. However, I am unable to further extract this file. When I use IZArc to extract the files it comes up with a blank folder. Is there another way to extract the .bin file?

I have tried using win32diskimager to write the debrick.bin file to the SDCard. I have tried multiple times but my bricked S3 never boots. There are 2 things to consider about the way I am doing this:

1) As mentioned above, I write the complete debrick.bin file to the drive using the program, I do not (successfully) "extract" it first. The SD Card does appear to have various other files, though (instead of the single .bin file).
2) I don't have an external card reader, so I access the SD Card by plugging it into a Droid A855 and then connecting that to the computer with USB Mass Storage Mode. I am able to access the card and write to it using win32diskimager.

If I'm doing something wrong, let me know.

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by shqype View Post
Thanks for posting the guide. I am still having trouble with the SD card solution to boot up my hard-bricked Verizon S3 (with 4.3 OTA update). I also got into this mess by running v1.2 of the bootloader unlock app.

My question is related to this step:

I was able to download and unzip the debrick file, which yields a debrick.bin file. However, I am unable to further extract this file. When I use IZArc to extract the files it comes up with a blank folder. Is there another way to extract the .bin file?

I have tried using win32diskimager to write the debrick.bin file to the SDCard. I have tried multiple times but my bricked S3 never boots. There are 2 things to consider about the way I am doing this:

1) As mentioned above, I write the complete debrick.bin file to the drive using the program, I do not (successfully) "extract" it first. The SD Card does appear to have various other files, though (instead of the single .bin file).
2) I don't have an external card reader, so I access the SD Card by plugging it into a Droid A855 and then connecting that to the computer with USB Mass Storage Mode. I am able to access the card and write to it using win32diskimager.

If I'm doing something wrong, let me know.
1) "Extract" just means take the unzipped file from the folder. Copy/paste the debrick.bin onto your desktop then write it to the sdcard using win32diskimager
2)There should be nothing on the sdcard except the debrick.bin. Format it and keep trying.
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable

shqype
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimSnoopOS View Post
1) "Extract" just means take the unzipped file from the folder. Copy/paste the debrick.bin onto your desktop then write it to the sdcard using win32diskimager
2)There should be nothing on the sdcard except the debrick.bin. Format it and keep trying.
Thanks for your reply and thanks again to the OP and all involved in making this guide. I finally got it to work.

2 changes that may help future people:

1) I didn't use the old 2 GB SD card that failed the first time, I instead used a new 32 GB SDHC card.
2) I did not access the card through Droid USB mass storage, but I put it into a laptop media reader and accessed it directly, then formatted and wrote to it.

Only 1 write and 1 try to boot it up, and it worked! I then copied the bootloader and recovery image over as explained in the 2nd post, and my phone works as normal.

Nwbmonkey
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Unhappy HELP!

Can anyone steer me to a guide for i747 at&t????

My phone will not turn on. I bought a Jig and that doesn't work and yes, the battery is charged.

Tags
4.3, debrick, gs3, i535, verizon