Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,687 Members 40,631 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] upgrading verygreen cm11 boot from sdcard install

Tip us?

nookhdp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] upgrading verygreen cm11 boot from sdcard install

Hi I run the booth CM 10.2 boot from SDCARD install from verygreen and would like to upgrade to KITKAT and keep my apps intact without starting over from scratch. Can someone who has actually done the upgrade fill me in on some of the steps and gotchyas.

So glancing at the post below. It looks like there is some info missing for 10.2 sd card users and I would like to preserve my installed apps.
So do I just need to download only the sdcard ovation zip to the original nook build on the stock nook then booth to cwm and update with that zip and reboot. What folder is best to stick zip into for cwm? Again I want to preserve my installation as much as possible. Also if I have to clear the cache what type of data does that cause me to loose exactly?

Im thinking this instruction set is for existing internal installs and not boot from sdcard installs and im a bit confused too which zip is the recovery zip and which file is CM11. I would think cwm would just unpack the ovation sdcard zip and install it you would be done. What is gapps, Is play store hosed or something after the upgrade and where are the links for the gapps if its not via play store for this mod?
What is the difference in a recovery zip and cwm11 I would like to understand more why the recovery is needed, used, what it is in android.
For upgrades from CM10.x (the only tested are 10.2 and 10.1). If you have any problems after upgrade - you'll need to do factory reset to clear /data:
1.Download recovery zip and CM11 install and place it on the nook If hats and existing install what
2.Reboot into recovery you already have installed
3.Flash the recovery zip you just downloaded
4.reboot into recovery again (This is important! Failure to do this will botch your upgrade and you'll need to wipe /data) so that the new recovery is started.
5.Install CM11, install other stuff you need like gapps
6.reboot
7.enjoy

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49192422

Latest CM11 EMMC images are now available as CM11 nightlies at:
For Nook HD+ get ovation builds
For Nook HD get hummingbird builds
There also might be experimental builds available referenced below in the history section.

(Also for completeness, For Nook HD+ sdcard image cm-11-20140118-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip, | initial sdcard image for ovation )

For new Installs:1.Download the initial sdcard image
2.ungzip and write to sdcard using dd (winimage or whatever for those stuck on Windows)
3.Instert the card into your nook and reboot
4.Flash the recovery image
5.Flash cm11 image
6.Flash whatever other extra things you need like gapps
7.remove the sdcard
8.reboot the nook

For upgrades from CM10.x (the only tested are 10.2 and 10.1). If you have any problems after upgrade - you'll need to do factory reset to clear /data:1.Download recovery zip and CM11 install and place it on the nook
4.reboot into recovery again (This is important! Failure to do this will botch your upgrade and you'll need to wipe /data) so that the new recovery is started.
6.reboot
7.enjoy

nookhdp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default test

test

nookhdp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default test3

test3

nookhdp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default testing

test

nookhdp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default test

testing

nookhdp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default post test

post test

nookhdp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default this 10 post rule crap

test

digixmax
Old
(Last edited by digixmax; 7th March 2014 at 11:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookhdp View Post
Hi I run the booth CM 10.2 boot from SDCARD install from verygreen and would like to upgrade to KITKAT and keep my apps intact without starting over from scratch. Can someone who has actually done the upgrade fill me in on some of the steps and gotchyas.

So glancing at the post below. It looks like there is some info missing for 10.2 sd card users and I would like to preserve my installed apps.
For upgrades from CM10.x (the only tested are 10.2 and 10.1). If you have any problems after upgrade - you'll need to do factory reset to clear /data:

1.Download recovery zip and CM11 install and place it on the nook
6.reboot
7.enjoy
First of, you should post your question in the HD/HD+ forums (rather than this Nook Tablet forum).

The above was written for emmc install. For SD install, in lieu of steps 2-4 above, do the following:
  • download sdcard-cwm-early9.img.gz (linked as "initial sdcard image for ovation" in the OP at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...22&postcount=1)
  • use archive file manager such as 7-zip to open the .gz file and extract the image sdcard-cwm-early9.img
  • use archive file manager to open the .img file and extract the 3 files: uImage, kernel, and ramdisk.cwm
  • replace the 3 files uImage, kernel, and ramdisk.cwm on the /boot partition of the SD card with their corresponding version just extracted
  • boot the SD card and continue with step 5 above

You can try the above install without doing "wipe /data", and if there is any problem you can repeat the install (steps 5+) with a "wipe /data". With a "wipe /data" your current apps most likely will get auto-downloaded ("auto-restored") by Google Backup/Restore service, but you still have to redo the apps' personal settings (if any).

The Gapps for CM11 can be obtained from http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps.