Prepare Your Build Machines: Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn Now Official

Today is an important day for any and all Linux enthusiasts. One of the … more

Track the Time You Waste on Social Media with Socials Addict

When you use your phone, you often don’t even realize how much time you … more

Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more
Post Reply

[Q] Clarifying questions..

OP t3tr1s_

8th March 2014, 01:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
52 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
I'm thinking of upgrading from my GS3, non lte, to the Note 3. As I've looked around the forms here, it would seem as though Knox is an added security measure so t-mobile can more easily detect root?

Is there a way to have root without tripping this counter? Is there a way to flash a custom Rom or kernel without tripping it?

If this has been answered apologize, I did look around before making new thread.

Thanks!

Also on a side note, white or black note 3?
8th March 2014, 01:32 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Philly
Thanks Meter: 119
 
548 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3tr1s_

I'm thinking of upgrading from my GS3, non lte, to the Note 3. As I've looked around the forms here, it would seem as though Knox is an added security measure so t-mobile can more easily detect root?

Is there a way to have root without tripping this counter? Is there a way to flash a custom Rom or kernel without tripping it?

If this has been answered apologize, I did look around before making new thread.

Thanks!

Also on a side note, white or black note 3?


Knox isn't really for T-mobile to detect root/custom firmware but for Samsung warranty. A fair amount of people on here have stated that they still sent their phones in to Sammy for warranty and they still got their phones fixed. T-mobile really only look for cracked screens, water damage and that the phone powers on and boots up. Not to say you'll never have an issue but i would say it's not really that big of a deal to trip the Knox counter. Especially if you bought the insurance like Asurion. I don't think they even care if your rooted and ROM'd
8th March 2014, 01:37 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
52 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Awesome. My concern here is that I would be disqualified from the jump program... I'd like to get the Note 4 as soon as it comes out.. Is there currently any way to root and flash a room without tripping Knox? Or can we only root without tripping Knox?
8th March 2014, 01:39 AM   |  #4  
Jfree3000's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Metro Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 231
 
1,398 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Before this gets locked, yes you can root without tripping knox. As mentioned knox is for samsung to deny repairs if they see fit (if the phone is sent to them). Tmobile could care less if the phone is rooted or not. You just have to be careful about warranty repairs for samsung, thats what they may or may not look at.
8th March 2014, 01:45 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Philly
Thanks Meter: 119
 
548 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3tr1s_

Awesome. My concern here is that I would be disqualified from the jump program... I'd like to get the Note 4 as soon as it comes out.. Is there currently any way to root and flash a room without tripping Knox? Or can we only root without tripping Knox?

On the old 4.3 firmware yes you can root with Root De La Vega and not trip the Knox counter but once you put ANY custom recovery it will trip the counter. Now on the OTA 4.4.2 that was released on Wednesday, the only 2 current ways to root (TWRP or Philz CWM) will trip the Knox counter no matter what. So until something comes out like an updated ROOT De La Vega, there's no way to even root without tripping the Knox counter.

Also from what i read, RDLV isn't being developed anymore so unless they decide to do something with it for the all the 4.4.2 releases hitting phones these days there may not be anything for a bit to root without tripping knox.
8th March 2014, 01:46 AM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
66 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfree3000

Before this gets locked, yes you can root without tripping knox. As mentioned knox is for samsung to deny repairs if they see fit (if the phone is sent to them). Tmobile could care less if the phone is rooted or not. You just have to be careful about warranty repairs for samsung, thats what they may or may not look at.

That is true for 4.3 but so far you can't on 4.4 from everything I have seen. Do you now of a way to not trip knox on 4.4?
8th March 2014, 01:48 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag Philly
Thanks Meter: 119
 
548 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfree3000

Before this gets locked, yes you can root without tripping knox. As mentioned knox is for samsung to deny repairs if they see fit (if the phone is sent to them). Tmobile could care less if the phone is rooted or not. You just have to be careful about warranty repairs for samsung, thats what they may or may not look at.

Did I miss something? Is there a way to Root 4.4.2 without tripping Knox? I don't care I've tripped Knox the first night i had my N3 but I didn't think there was a way. Kningo and RDLV i thought borked the phones and caused bootloops.
8th March 2014, 05:35 AM   |  #8  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
52 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
My t-mobile store says that if you root your phone then it voids your warranty, so obviously they won't allow me to upgrade... So I know they check for it.. How is it you guys have stores where they don't seem to care?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes