Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,386 Members 51,825 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Got an amateurish question about contacts and syncing

Tip us?

beatbum21
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question Got an amateurish question about contacts and syncing

The simple question would be: what's the best way to sync all my GMail and phone contacts and have them be accessable through both platforms? How do you organize your contacts?

The more detailed explanation is as follows:

I use GMail a lot and have many contacts saved on my gmail.
I also have roughly 400 contacts (phone numbers only) saved on my HTC One.

What's the best way for me to sync the two? Some of the GMail contacts are also contacts on my phone.

I tried playing around with the sync options but ended up transfering ALL past e-mailed contacts to my phone. For example, I've e-mailed college professors 5 years ago one time about class and somehow their e-mails were synced to my phone as new contacts. It was a mess to clean that all up. And how would I prevent future e-mailed contacts from being saved to my phone?

At the moment the phonebook on my HTC One is set to only display contacts from my phone itself (so I don't see the contacts from GMail).

KiraYahiroz
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Move all your contacts to Google: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?tab=Cm#contacts

That way it will backup your contacts as well as sync them to any device with your Google account.

Personally I have my phonebook set to only show Google so I only see these contacts.
HTC One M7 - Sense 6.0, Android 4.4.2, Stock Kernel - Active
Google Nexus 10 - Android 4.4.4, Stock Kernel - Active
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY - CyanogenMod 11.0, Android 4.4.4, CM 11.0 Kernel - Semi-Active
The Following User Says Thank You to KiraYahiroz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

millicent
Old
Thanks Meter 128
additionally, do all your contacts cleanup in your pc browser on your Gmail account

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to millicent For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]