[Q] 2012 Nexus 7 - CyanogenMod fix the laggy speed?

Search This thread

jimmyjoebob

Jun 3, 2010
Does changing over CyanogenMod on a 2012 Nexus 7 Wifi 32GB, fix the extreme bad performance?

Or is it time to junk it?
There is 25+ GB free on the device, ran the memory cleanup apps, still junk. Any of the apps I try and use random freeze for 5+ seconds at a time, it is slower than my nexus 4 by far. The nexus 4 runs circles around the nexus 7.

Will installing cyanogenmod fix this?

qaz2453

Nov 20, 2010
Glasgow
Does changing over CyanogenMod on a 2012 Nexus 7 Wifi 32GB, fix the extreme bad performance?

Or is it time to junk it?
There is 25+ GB free on the device, ran the memory cleanup apps, still junk. Any of the apps I try and use random freeze for 5+ seconds at a time, it is slower than my nexus 4 by far. The nexus 4 runs circles around the nexus 7.

Will installing cyanogenmod fix this?

try purity ROM, by far the fastest and smoothest Nexus 7 ROM ive tried

P.S. no matter how much you try, the nexus 7 will NEVER be as fast as the Nexus 4

SnapDragon S4Pro > Tegra 3 ;)

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
The hardware has not changed, so..

Perhaps it's time to factory reset. If you're rooted, just back up with Titanium Backup and restore after if you like.

You can also try a custom kernel that has dynamic fsync or disable fsync, that'll help on IO lag. However, it won't fix it entirely. Factory reset should help there.

Tegra 3 has some bad IO problems, and the storage chips in the Nexus 7 16gb sucks, although you say you have the 32G so I'm surprised there's an issue there. But it's manageable. Trust me, mine drives me nuts too sometimes, so I factory reset about every 4-5 months, depends on when it starts pissing me off.

nigelw

Apr 21, 2006
I have the 16GB 2012 model, and performance has been a problem. I installed KitKat and did a factory reset, that made it run quite nicely for a while.

But today it's started playing up badly, rebooting regularly. I think there might be a problem with RAM, but I can't be sure. Tried to do another factory reset, but that also makes it reboot.

Thinking about trying a different ROM, see if that sorts it out.

jimmyjoebob

Jun 3, 2010
Thanks I will give that ROM a go.

I have performed quite a few factory resets, this does speed things up for a few weeks, then it slowly starts to slow down and then become pretty much unusable, like it is now.

I have left it plugged in and powered on in the hopes that the trim flash process would kick in and perform magic, but no magic results there.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
The problem is NOT a ROM. It's the hardware.

Certain ROMs might be better about certain things.. Less stuff running, perhaps the kernel has different options etc.. But the problem is the device itself. Different ROMs might be slighly tweaked to make things better, or may just mask it with fsync.

That said, I like dynamic fsync, even if it's a potential loss of data. m-kernel has that. Franco's kernel has the ability to turn off fsync, but it's on by default.

killa12222

Apr 1, 2012
Perth
Try flashing Legolas93's f2fs kernel and recovery here. Made a huge difference to the responsiveness and speed of my 32gb N7 running the latest CM11!