[Q] HELP ME PLEASE! how can I enable On-screen Keys ?

Search This thread

zzerozzero1

Jul 28, 2012
LG P880 cm10.1.3 stable

how can I enable On-screen Keys and navbar ?

I already tried to to add "qemu.hw.mainkeys=0" line to build.prop. No success here. Wont boot, not even go to the CM logo. Just black screen.

Any Ideas ?
Thx for your help

zzerozzero1

Jul 28, 2012
BTW,
the reason why I want to enable softkey and (if possible) disable the capacitive buttons is the following:

I have hugh fingers. And so often when I type I accidently hit the home button instead of the space bar. It is really annoying. However, I never had this issue with my old SGS and my GalaxyTab.
And another thing: Sometimes when I hit the upper end of the buttons, it fires the long click action, e.g. it goes directly to RecentApps instead of HOME.

Omario-242

Feb 18, 2011
Munich
Google Pixel 6 Pro
There are actually plenty of tutorials all over XDA (general or software section).
Search for it.
If you want further help you have to tell us details about your current setup.

EDIT: Just to let you know,
I searched for 1 min and found 3 different ways. One last tip: don't use the XDA search but Google, way more reasonable outcome.

Sent from my LG-P880 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

zzerozzero1

Jul 28, 2012
Well, the problem seems to be limited to cm10.1.3.

Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=0
works on cm11 nightlies just fine.

Omario-242

Feb 18, 2011
Munich
Google Pixel 6 Pro
The qemu.hw.mainkeys=0 just means that your device has no hardware menu buttons.
Whether CM didn't set it so this will enable navigation bar or you did something wrong.

5 Mins of search also got me this build.prop line to add:
ro.show.navigationbar=1

Try it.

Reactions: zzerozzero1

Rudjgaard

Jun 11, 2012
how are you editing the build.prop?
many file editors give problems with boot after edit, the best option is to copy file, edit and then push to phone through adb
the quemu hw keys is universal on cm to tell if your phone has hw keys or not so it should not be causing problems
(also check if it is already present in the build.prop)
If still it isn't working and don't want to change rom you can always use xposed framework which has a few different modules for nav bar

zzerozzero1

Jul 28, 2012
many file editors give problems with boot after edit, the best option is to copy file, edit and then push to phone through adb
that is how i do it

If still it isn't working and don't want to change rom you can always use xposed framework which has a few different modules for nav bar

ehhh .... i guess i stay with the nightlies ... they seem pretty usable as a dailydriver so far

Rudjgaard

Jun 11, 2012
ok, one last option is edit build.prop then flash
the command is correct, the bootloop is not normal that's why i'm insisting on this point

Adam77Root

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 3, 2012
Take care of line endings. If you are on Windows, there might be incompatibility with Unix formats.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The qemu.hw.mainkeys=0 just means that your device has no hardware menu buttons.
    Whether CM didn't set it so this will enable navigation bar or you did something wrong.

5 Mins of search also got me this build.prop line to add:
    ro.show.navigationbar=1

Try it.

the quemu hw keys is universal on cm to tell if your phone has hw keys or not so it should not be causing problems
    (also check if it is already present in the build.prop)
    ok, one last option is edit build.prop then flash
    the command is correct, the bootloop is not normal that's why i'm insisting on this point
    Take care of line endings. If you are on Windows, there might be incompatibility with Unix formats.

I forgot about the issues with win you are right.
    OP you should edit build.prop with notepad++
    open file with n++, add the line, highlight it and check that in the bottom right of the bar it says encoding "Unix"