Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,757 Members 47,125 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung MHL 2.0 Does it Charge?

Tip us?

natalic
Old
(Last edited by natalic; 5th March 2014 at 02:47 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Samsung MHL 2.0 Does it Charge?

I could not find a solid answer on this.

I know that MHL 2.0 puts out 900ma but my question is, how well does the charge? Does it keep it powered and charging? I had issues where my MHL adapter didnt charge it at all. I am asking only about the official MHL adapter.

P2o8wer
Old
Thanks Meter 70
The official Samsung mhl? I have the Samsung and it does charge depending what u use. I can plug the usb right into my cable box and the charging sucks..If I plug it into the wall adapter it does ok.. basically it charges very slowly when plugged in streaming a movie..

parcou
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2o8wer View Post
The official Samsung mhl? I have the Samsung and it does charge depending what u use. I can plug the usb right into my cable box and the charging sucks..If I plug it into the wall adapter it does ok.. basically it charges very slowly when plugged in streaming a movie..
I agree. I have the Samsung official one I tried other brands and did not work at all. It does not over-charge like what I expected of a car charger. One night I was low in power watching a movie and the phone died...but it was charging and I always use the wall charger. I had to let the phone get up some percentage before I could go back to the movie.

So Now I make sure I am above 50% but if watching a 90min movie say at 50% & charging thur the MHL I will be at between 35-45% when done. With the screen being on, on the phone I would call this good the screens burn a lot of juice.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) (rooted only) by VZW
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (rooted Beans) by VZW
Samsung Gear (rooted NULL)
Samsung Gear 2

(retired) HTC Incredible
(retired) HTC TouchPro 2
(retired) HTC TouchPro
(retired) HTC 6800
...All Verizon Wireless

natalic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30

DONATE TO ME
For anyone doing what I wanted, connecting to their car pioneer radio with the most flexibility...I bought a PTV3000 from netgear, has worked with all my devices (Motorola and Samsung). I got it for 58 bux after tax at staples with a 10% off coupon. Is it the best for fast moving things? no, but I don't use it for that either! It's my GPS and music for trips. It is a bit laggy, but overall great experience.

PS: I also had the Wireless Hub and that worked great too, but only on Samsungs.