Real User Review: Jiayu g5 Advanced 2gb 32gb 3k battery

Tip us?

Twotems
Old
(Last edited by Twotems; 22nd February 2014 at 07:35 PM.) Reason: Updated info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Real User Review: Jiayu g5 Advanced 2gb 32gb 3k battery

I've been using the phone for about 48 hours now and just wanted to share my observations, likes and dislikes. First thing is the phone is exactly as advertised in terms of build quality and performance. My previous phone (still using it) was a galaxy quattro and comparing the two in terms of size was very revealing. Both screens are 4.5 inches BUT the Samsung is much bigger simply because it's a wider rectangle. My point here is not all manufacturer measurements are the same. The Jiayu is a narrower 4.5 screen. That's the downside of buying a phone online, not being able to handle it physically.

I bought from Minideal.net and apart from the delay due to the Chinese holidays everything went smoothly. It came rooted with english, google play, superuser and various other apps installed. Plus most chinese apps removed. I bought the 3000mah battery kit with wall charger, oversized stainless back cover and custom case for the larger battery cover. All top quality. That brings me to the battery life. So far, with quite heavy use I'm getting the same performance as with the quattro BUT I understand that the G5 battery software doesn't give accurate figures for the bigger battery because it's optimized for the 2000mah battery (check the spellmall.com forum). I can live with that since I'll learn over time what the battery numbers really mean plus I now have two batteries for it anyway.

My dislikes are minor but basically have to do with the user options. Firstly there is no way to have separate ringtones for each line like the Samsung. Secondly the narrower screen makes the keyboard much more cramped than on my quattro using Swiftkey on both. Other than those two dislikes the rest are minor quirks that an unfamiliar phone will always bring.

I have many likes and here are a few. Out the box it scored the advertised 16443 on Antutu then I loaded it with my favorite apps all of which ran it down to 4700! After tweaking a bit I managed to only get it to about 7600 so I uninstalled the battery saver and task manager crap whilst retaining Wakelock Detector and installed Greenify. Bingo! Performance jumped back to 16000+. So there's a lesson for all of us there. It's performing quick and smooth. The screen is very good, it's nice to have indicator lights again too. Right now my battery is at 64% (indicated) after 8.5 hours of quite heavy use. I haven't used it in the the last hour and it hasn't moved at all thanks to Greenify hibernating apps.

I'll continue this later but feel free to ask questions and I would love to hear from other users.

One more thing, it doesn't have 3G here in the States but I don’t miss it because neither did my quattro and I'm on wifi 80% of the time. If it ever becomes an issue I'll just get a dongle with some of the $200+ I've saved by not buying a big name brand and add it to my free data plan on T-Mobile.

Edit: I had to reboot the phone a few hours ago after using My Backup Pro to freeze the stock email app (I use the gmail app) and my battery % jumped up to 70% from 56%. So I can only conclude that the false battery indicator issue is valid and the new reading is probably the correct one. Intriguing/puzzling.

Update: It's 2:30pm here and battery on 30% from when I took it off the charger at 7am yesterday. 31.5 hours of moderate to heavy use. I'm loving this.

miklos13
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default GPS

Hi,

Thanks for the review! Have you already tried the GPS? How does it work?

M.

Twotems
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklos13 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the review! Have you already tried the GPS? How does it work?

M.
GPS works fine though I've only used it once with Google maps. Acquired satellites outdoors in about 15 seconds (I think).

Twotems
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Update: Battery ran down to 16% at 5pm today. Took it off charger at 10pm so we'll see how it does this time around.

Dintisor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default GPS

Satellite aquires fast in about 15 sec like said ,
But I've test it with Navigon Europe 5.20 and IGO Primo
and the placing on the map is totally disappointing . It places me on a parallel street
and the signal il lost every 10-15 sec and then reestablished but never on the correct position.
Testing it parallel with a I9305 it is a very big difference.

miklos13
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dintisor View Post
and the placing on the map is totally disappointing . It places me on a parallel street
and the signal il lost every 10-15 sec and then reestablished but never on the correct position.
Thanks for the results. I am searyhing for a replacemenet of my Jiayu G2S because it has a crappy GPS. I think G5 is not the one for me then.

Twotems
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
The accuracy isn't a problem for me once tuned properly with Faster gps and Mobile Uncle. Yesterday it took about 5 minutes+ to lock which is very frustrating. To be honest I'm having other issues with the phone now (external speaker not working, rebooting for no reason and a few other things) all of which is pushing me to wait for the new htc one dual sim and buy that instead. It's a pity because the phone is extremely smooth and quick.

miklos13
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotems View Post
The accuracy isn't a problem for me once tuned properly with Faster gps and Mobile Uncle. Yesterday it took about 5 minutes+ to lock which is very frustrating. To be honest I'm having other issues with the phone now (external speaker not working, rebooting for no reason and a few other things) all of which is pushing me to wait for the new htc one dual sim and buy that instead. It's a pity because the phone is extremely smooth and quick.
Thanks, this sounds not good too...

Twotems
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklos13 View Post
Thanks, this sounds not good too...
You're welcome. I would advise you not to buy it. I bought my wife the iNew V3 which she loves and my daughter the Lenovo p780 which she loves too. I'm currently looking at buying the Lenovo VibeZ, new htc one or Philips xenium w8560. Battery life is my main concern and the jiayu has superb battery life. If I can sort out the problems in the next few weeks I may keep it but right now that doesn't look likely.

claulea
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dintisor View Post
Hello! Can you give me sys.file for IGO Primo for jy g5?
10x