[Q] Newbie wanting to "root" / Mod.

OP peakcomp

8th March 2014, 10:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag WA State
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
More
Hey all! I am a newbie, but am technically inclined.

Both my bf and I have the HTC Rezound with the latest OEM firmware. We are sick of Sense, the battery life is horrible amongst other complaints.

We would like to move to an aftermarket firmware but I have noticed that most if not all of them have issues. The camera, the camcorder, the MMS, the WiFi...I don't want to drop my OEM firmware for something that doesn't fully work.

We also have the Nexus 7 (2012) Wifi tablets which we LOVE. It's pure KitKat 4.4! If only we could have stock Android on our phones.

Anyhow...I don't even know where to start with our phones and then of course, which software to install that is fully functional?

Thanks for the help ya'll!

K
8th March 2014, 11:27 PM   |  #2  
Flag Staten Island
Thanks Meter: 34

227 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakcomp

Hey all! I am a newbie, but am technically inclined.

Both my bf and I have the HTC Rezound with the latest OEM firmware. We are sick of Sense, the battery life is horrible amongst other complaints.

We would like to move to an aftermarket firmware but I have noticed that most if not all of them have issues. The camera, the camcorder, the MMS, the WiFi...I don't want to drop my OEM firmware for something that doesn't fully work.

We also have the Nexus 7 (2012) Wifi tablets which we LOVE. It's pure KitKat 4.4! If only we could have stock Android on our phones.

Anyhow...I don't even know where to start with our phones and then of course, which software to install that is fully functional?

Thanks for the help ya'll!

K

I can recommend some ROMs that are both faster than stock and totally stable. So you want to unlock your bootloader and all?
8th March 2014, 11:29 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag WA State

11 posts
More
Whatever it takes, I guess, to get a newer, faster and more battery conservative ROM . This Sense crap sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcipopnevets

I can recommend some ROMs that are both faster than stock and totally stable. So you want to unlock your bootloader and all?

9th March 2014, 12:34 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 169

635 posts
More
How far are you into the rooting method? Have you done anything to start yet. By the way, welcome to the wonderful Rezound community!!!!

Sent from my Rezound using xda-developers app. CyanogenMod 11. S-off
9th March 2014, 12:40 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Flag WA State

11 posts
More
Lightbulb
Thanks!

I don't know where to start. I haven't began anything except researching.

K

Quote:
Originally Posted by pball52998

How far are you into the rooting method? Have you done anything to start yet. By the way, welcome to the wonderful Rezound community!!!!

Sent from my Rezound using xda-developers app. CyanogenMod 11. S-off

9th March 2014, 12:53 AM   |  #6  

635 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks!

I don't know where to start. I haven't began anything except researching.

K

Okay, first begin with unlocking the bootloader via HTC dev. Here's the website, you need to set up and use a legit email you can get into to. It will send you a unlock token once you get done with the steps. : http://http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
This will erase everything on the phone, but this will allow you to continue, you are on the newest radio's and updates correct?
9th March 2014, 12:56 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Flag WA State

11 posts
More
I am on the latest update. Not sure about radios though. I assume they all come with the update from the carrier/OEM.

Why does unlocking the boot loader delete all on the phone?

Should I back up and remove my SD card before doing this?

K

Quote:

Okay, first begin with unlocking the bootloader via HTC dev. Here's the website, you need to set up and use a legit email you can get into to. It will send you a unlock token once you get done with the steps. : http://http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
This will erase everything on the phone, but this will allow you to continue, you are on the newest radio's and updates correct?

9th March 2014, 01:03 AM   |  #8  

635 posts
More
Quote:

I am on the latest update. Not sure about radios though. I assume they all come with the update from the carrier/OEM.

Why does unlocking the boot loader delete all on the phone?

Should I back up and remove my SD card before doing this?

K

Yes that means you're on the newest radio's. Not really sure why it deletes everything but it just does, and yes, back everything up, back your contacts up via google :$ back up SD card, shouldn't delete it, or it didn't mine, but just back everything up before beginning. Okay?
9th March 2014, 01:10 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Flag WA State

11 posts
More
Super. Thanks.

Quote:

Yes that means you're on the newest radio's. Not really sure why it deletes everything but it just does, and yes, back everything up, back your contacts up via google :$ back up SD card, shouldn't delete it, or it didn't mine, but just back everything up before beginning. Okay?

9th March 2014, 01:13 AM   |  #10  

635 posts
More
Also you need adb and fastboot set up, heres a little tool I used for the windows partition of my mac: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2588979
Then I never really had to use device drivers, so I'm somewhat unsure of that Search up HTC rezound drivers into google and see if you can find something I just use my mac because it doesn't need drivers and it's easy for stuff like that.... windows 7 is the way to go though, or is pretty much the only way to go....

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread